Advice request - benchrest estate

Ron Mesic

Hi group:

Dad was a "High Master" ranked benchrest shooter, but cancer took him a month ago. (Technically, chemotherapy took him.) He left instructions, but the people he mentioned to help with his equipment sadly are no longer able. The club where he shot doesn't have a growing benchrest community. I've contacted organizers of local matches. They have been kind and willing to post a "for sale" list, but it seems there hasn't been much interest yet.

I understand there's a classified section here. I think that's an option for selling things individually. My health precludes that level of engagement, and while I'm not ignorant of firearms my expertise lies outside of benchrest and precision reloading.

Hopefully the forum might provide some advice on how I could best handle parting with older but not worn out rifles and reloading equipment? Dad kept barrels that performed and replaced them when they didn't. The high-end "best of everything" rifle has both .308 and 6.5 Creedmor barrels. The rail gun is 6 PPC as are a couple other benchrest guns. There's a 222 Remington if I recall correctly, but I could go into those details in the classified section if that becomes the plan.

Reloading and shooting wise, he was a scientist. Literally was a manager at Ford Central Laboratory Services for most of his professional career. His bench and equipment has been well kept.

Optimally I'd like to sell the lot at once so the family can better move to settling the estate. (Of course the 1930 Model A drag race car is another story.) There is a match coming up where the organizer offered to let me bring items to show - that's an option I'm considering but I don't know how much I can manage to transport.

There is a plan to hold an estate sale, but I have serious doubts that there will be benchrest shooters in attendance - what do you think? Do benchrest shooters frequent estate sales? If I do have to ship any rifles, is there a best practice on obtaining and executing proper packaging?

Thoughts? Suggestions? The equipment in question is in Southeast Michigan.

Best regards,

Ron

Attachments

• Benchrest Rifles.png
    Benchrest Rifles.png
    513.4 KB · Views: 114
Dad was a "High Master" ranked benchrest shooter, but cancer took him a month ago. (Technically, chemotherapy took him.)

I understand there's a classified section here. I think that's an option for selling things individually. My health precludes that level of engagement....

There is a match coming up where the organizer offered to let me bring items to show - that's an option I'm considering but I don't know how much I can manage to transport.

Thoughts?
My condolences about your dad. As for the equipment, try to take it to the match. Beyond that try the classified section here, you can do that at your leisure.

While this is a great benchrest forum you would do better in offering for sale on Accurate Shooter forum. There is A LOT more traffic over there. Either forum could help you put valuation on the items.

the truth is there are few that can afford to buy it all( there is atleast one guy here so post where you are)
and accurate shooter will not let you sell up front, you need to be there and post there for a while.
you need to get accurate descriptions of each rifle, look at the bob white shooters corner and understand as a rule bbl have no value.they are expendables.. locally powder and primers sales will generate money, as may the bits and pcs. ya need to spend time online doing research on what everything is and then expect 1/2 of retail for used sales.
and deither 308 nor 6.5 creedmore are top level br cartridges...some more like club br than BENCHREST.

Thoughts? Suggestions? The equipment in question is in Southeast Michigan.

Best regards, Ron
Sorry for your loss, Ron.

Honestly, the best bet is going to be someone local with knowledge to help you. I'm in the final stages of rehoming guns and gear of a very good pal of mine for his family. It's been a year and a half but we can see the light at the end. Possibly the match organizer can set you up with someone. A 'one and done' deal is the way to go, if possible.

Sincerely, Al Nyhus

I'm sorry to hear about your father. Regarding the equipment, consider bringing it to the match. Apart from that, you can also explore the classified section here whenever you have the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back