Advice on purchasing equipment and tooling

Andrew B

I have built a 16 by 40 shop deep in the woods of South Mississippi. Have plenty of 220 single phase.

I am interested in, among other things, learning to barrel my own rifles. The smith who I have used for years is 84 years old now and getting even crankier. I have no machining experience at all, but am planning on taking classes. Retirement hobby. Something I have always been interested in.

Want to buy once and never regret my equipment choices. Only interested in new.

Below is what I am considering at this point. All from Grizzly

I would greatly appreciate comments and tooling suggestions - I want to get as much as I will need up front.

G0824 Gunsmith Lathe
G0796 9” x 49” Vertical Mill with Power Feed and DRO
1 G7156 Premium Milling Vise - 4"
1 G1646 R-8 Collet Set
1 G1075 58 pc. Clamping Kit - 1/2" T-Slots
1 H3445 Carbide End Mill - 1/8" x 4 Flute
1 H3446 Carbide End Mill - 1/16" x 4 Flute
1 H3447 Carbide End Mill - 1/4" x 4 Flute
1 H3448 Carbide End Mill - 5/16" x 4 Flute
1 H3449 Carbide End Mill - 3/8" x 4 Flute
1 H3450 Carbide End Mill - 1/2" x 4 Flute
1 T10295 7 Piece Indexable Carbide Set - 5/8"

Thanks very much for your replies

great choices if your budget allows. same lathe here but the g0704 mill gets the job done for me....good day greg

My advice is to go over to the hobby machinist forum and look at the information on there. There is lots of good discussion about equipment.

Joe

Get more than one of each size end mill. And have spare lathe inserts. For threading check out the HSS inserts from AR Warner. Get a good set of drill bits and taps.

Andrew

looks like a great retirement present!

Before you pick out any tooling. spend some time researching on all the different tooling that's available.

Here is a link to a whole lot of tooling & information! The Technical Resource section is loaded with information. http://www.carbidedepot.com/resources.aspx

Enjoy your retirement!
Russ

My advice is to Enjoy The Journey..... in other words, don't over-think it but instead as your technique evolves buy what you need as you need.....

For instance I've switched almost entirely to carbide tooling because I'm always in a hurry. I only rarely grind HSS tooling but I've got a lot of money tied up and equipment dedicated to HSS tooling and it's support.......and I've I've chosen to "index" barrels. I have hunnerds of dollars invested in this single aspect of barreling and while I _could_ add substantially to your list of "needs" they'd be my needs, as defined by my methods. Yours may well be different :)

Be sure to recognize your wants early enough that you have plenty to stay busy with while waiting on your tooling orders ;)

You've chosen well and wisely so far IMO

Congratulations on your choice for a hobby you will probably enjoy it allot more than you might think. In my case my friends enjoy me having a mill and a lathe probably as much as I do myself.

Find a good used Bridgeport

or the like. I'm on my second "Hobby" mill and both were mistakes, like my two ex wives were.Only good thing is I've outlived them. :) A man wants rigidity, power and versatility with a mill.

Pete

Al hit the nail on the head - anyone's advice just reflects how they solve problems and the tools they use most may not be the tools you end up using most. Having said that... I strongly suggest getting some quality HSS (High Speed Steel) blanks and learning how to grind your own cutters. HSS is more forgiving than carbide, particularly at the speed of learning, you can probably grind away any uh-ohs (rather than buying or rotating a $25 insert), and being able to grind a special tool when you need one is a skill that will help you for as long as you have a shop.

Also, I'd advise against getting too much up front, for the same reasons - there's just no way to know what you, in particular need. You could end up with a $500 Taster that you never use while wishing you'd spent that money on a good Co-Ax, or vice-versa.

GsT

I totally agree with GeneT and being a hobbyist myself who does his own barrel work and other misc. projects. I really haven't had a need for any carbide tooling. I prefer to grind what I need and keep several various sizes of HSS blanks on hand including some round. Over the years I have only had to purchase a couple of carbide tools for a very specific use. My Lathe is a Model DF 12X37G Grizzly and the Mill a 42 inch Model J Bridgeport and both have served me extremely well. I was also very fortunate when I got them both the tooling and accessories that came with them were worth more than the machines themselves.

Last edited:
or the like. I'm on my second "Hobby" mill and both were mistakes, like my two ex wives were.Only good thing is I've outlived them. :) A man wants rigidity, power and versatility with a mill.

Pete

the one he's chosen ain't a hobby mill Pete

Nothing wrong with carbide tooling but as was said HSS is a bit more forgiving and works at lower speeds both on the mill and the lathe. Bonus easy to touch up, complete resharpen or make a special shape. I always seem to find those pesky inserts are misplaced when I want them or the ones I want are on back order. I would suggest a misting coolant system for the mill ( can be used on a lathe as well ) gets the chips out of the way keeps from burning things up gives better cuts than dry or trying to dribbble a bit of whatever at the contact point. I know the lathe has a flood coolant system with it. But sometimes that is just to much particularly when trying to sneak up to a particular point, lathe or mill (DRO not withstanding).

Nothing wrong with carbide tooling but as was said HSS is a bit more forgiving and works at lower speeds both on the mill and the lathe. Bonus easy to touch up, complete resharpen or make a special shape. I always seem to find those pesky inserts are misplaced when I want them or the ones I want are on back order. I would suggest a misting coolant system for the mill ( can be used on a lathe as well ) gets the chips out of the way keeps from burning things up gives better cuts than dry or trying to dribbble a bit of whatever at the contact point. I know the lathe has a flood coolant system with it. But sometimes that is just to much particularly when trying to sneak up to a particular point, lathe or mill (DRO not withstanding).

Carbide is a its best with heavy cuts and faster speeds.

Light cuts and slower speeds do not carry off the heat generated as well.

While touching up carbide edges has gotten easier with the ready availability
of diamond tools it is still never as fine an edge as HSS can achieve.

Back