Advice on a Micro lathe Please

Pete Wass

I am wanting a Micro lathe to do small turning jobs such as rebating cases, cutting extractor grooves a bit deaper , etc. I was considering a Taig. There were recently two of them on Ebay but I got chilly feet and didn't win one.

I want a lathe small enough to be used on my kitchen table or kitchen counter top. I won't need to use any cutting oil or coolant for the work I intend to do on it. I also want it to be light enough to carry around the house easily.

Can anyone recommend a lathe of this size? Does anyone know about the Taig lathes?

Thanks,

Pete

Pete

I use a 6" Atlas (or Craftsman). I mounted it on a piece of 3/4" plywood and can move it to wherever I want and yet I can store out out of the way when I'm not using it.

You can find at least one or two of them on e-bay at almost any time.

I bought mine locally for $100. It doesn't have much tooling at that price but not much more than a 3 jaw chuck and a left and right hand tool holder are needed.

The Taig is kind of fun. It can be moved easily and is quiet. I've got one and a few collets, makes it more useful, I think. I don't think that they really deserve to be called a lathe, though. I've also got a milling attachment, only because it came with the package.

I've got a Sherline with a few attachments and it's been a great little lathe. I can carry it around easy (about 25 punds) and cut true on it. It's held up well over the past 5 years, and I have no complaints.

I have used the Unimat, Taig, and Sherline mini lathes. The Sherline has them all beat by a mile. Run out of the 3 jaw chuck was less than .001 and head alignment was dead on from the factory. The amount of accessories available is great. Speed is adjustible with a turn of a knob. I bought the Sherline and never regreted it.

JC Blauvelt

Do you have pics of different projects you have done on the Sherline?
Thx.
:D:D:D

they are all over the internet - just do a search on sherline lathe. All I could send you pics of is properly turned case necks, trued shellholders, etc.... nothing interesting - just very uselful.

I purchased a 7x12 mini lathe 4 years ago from harbor freight to do small jobs and have found it to be a great little lathe for the money,$379.00 at that time.Harbor Freight has a good warrenty plan,sort of like dillons,If it breaks we fix it, period.
Some reasons I selected this lathe is it Threads,has auto feed.and comes ready to use out of the box.
Get a quick change toolholder or a rocker type so you won't have to shim your tool bits.
Go to Varmit Als minilathe page for upgrades,Little machine shop and other mini lathe sites are on the internet.Good Luck.

Chuck

Back