Adjusting the busing on Redding S-type FL sizer

tiny68

Question: I read in Ratigan's book that some shooter don't neck size the entire neck to ensure the brass in concentric in the chamber. The instructions with my Redding S-type FL sizers states to screw the bushing all the way down. Never tried any else with this die (6BR and 30BR). I have a Redding Competition sizer for my 223 and 22-250 that has a micrometer to adjust the bushing depth.

How many of you only partially neck size in the real world of competitive BR?

Thanks, Tim

By the way, none of my Redding dies say to screw the bushing adjustment all the way down. That would trap the bushing and not let it "free float". My instructions say to thread it down until it touches the bushing and then back it out 1/16 of a turn.

GG - I totally agree and have read the instructions. Mine say the same. I was thinking to back it off 0.200" or more. If someone knows the thread GG is referring to, please provide the link. No use in reinventing the wheel. Thanks, Tim

Question: I read in Ratigan's book that some shooter don't neck size the entire neck to ensure the brass in concentric in the chamber. The instructions with my Redding S-type FL sizers states to screw the bushing all the way down. Never tried any else with this die (6BR and 30BR). I have a Redding Competition sizer for my 223 and 22-250 that has a micrometer to adjust the bushing depth.

How many of you only partially neck size in the real world of competitive BR?

Thanks, Tim

Strange, my full length Redding S type die states to screw the bushing adjustment all the way down and back off about an eighth of a turn. I back off half a turn. This neck sizes the neck to within about a 1/32" from the shoulder. I can adjust it to only size the neck half way down...but have found no advantage to this. I shoot a 30HBR for Hunter class. However, my Wilson type neck die only sizes half way down the neck as all of them do.

virg

I use a rubber "O" ring, in all my dies, this allows the bushing to float, to self locate to center, & keeps it from rattling around in the die.....

so the o ring compresses...differently based on the neck resistance to sizing, which means the length of sizing changes with this resistance and o ring compression...so its inconsistant...
yes you can adjust the length of neck sizing....but the benefit is only if the case is sized to provide minor crush/centering from previous firing...and it can be done with a std or micrometer die.
mike in co

I use a rubber "O" ring, in all my dies, this allows the bushing to float, to self locate to center, & keeps it from rattling around in the die.....

so the o ring compresses...differently based on the neck resistance to sizing, which means the length of sizing changes with this resistance and o ring compression...so its inconsistant...
yes you can adjust the length of neck sizing....but the benefit is only if the case is sized to provide minor crush/centering from previous firing...and it can be done with a std or micrometer die.
mike in co

I'm not aware of much difference in the "consistency" during my sizing process, my necks aren't sammi spec, I turn them to ".0825". I use an arbor press, or a RFD O Press, depending on the caliber, so I can "feel" the difference during sizing. My bushings are titanium nitride so the resistance is minimized. But then again, I'm not an expert, but my trophy wall shows that my methods aren't bad, they work for me.....

Mike in CA,
How does it compress the O'ring? Looks to me that it is pushing the dies and unloading the O'ring. This will allow the die to follow the brass.
Butch

Butch I believe he's talking about an o-ring between the plug and bushing.
But "to self locate to center, & keep it from rattling around in the die" could otherwise mean an o-ring around the bushing itself.

I adjust sizing length with Wilson's, using different thickness machine bushings dropped around the case head before pressing.
I store these with the die in a die box for each barrel, and they were chosen beginning one cal length, then adjusted during load development.
I also measure tension force with a loadcell instrumented mandrel, with every case before charging. Occasionally, I need to tweak tension on a neck to match all others. For this I NS again with an adjustment to machine bushings, and re-verify it's right before going on.

Last edited:
he actually did not say where the oring was in the neck section of the die...around the bushing, above or below it.....al i know is that orings flex...so consistency is optional.......
just think how many more trophies there would be with out the inconsistency...lol
mike in co

Last edited by a moderator:
he actually did not say where the oring was in the neck section of the die...around the bushing, above or below it.....al i know is that orings flex...so consistancy is optional.......
just think how many more trophies there would be with out the inconsistancy...lol
mike in co

I wish I was an Internet expert, so I could post endlessly.....

I don't want this to turn into a pissing contest.....

I will let the Internet expert, give his version of what is correct, so everyone else can benefit from his wisdom.....

The word is consistency.....

There is no "a" anywhere in the word.....

Last edited:
so we bed rifles solid as a rock. we machine and fit bolts and chambers to a nats azz. we buy the best brass and custom made bullets. we use rests that cost hundreds of dollars, and adjust the setup till it is just perfect so touching our 2 oz trigger upsets nothing. we pay extra money for special dies to load our ammo so that it is straigh and consistant......but not all of us...someone uses an o-ring to allow his neck size bushing to "float"......and no one is allowed to question this practice ???? and this is considered being a comedian ?? butch in baja oklahoma

mike in co

So you don't know where his rubber is, so you're just trying to be a comodian, Mike in Ca.
Butch

GG - I totally agree and have read the instructions. Mine say the same. I was thinking to back it off 0.200" or more. If someone knows the thread GG is referring to, please provide the link. No use in reinventing the wheel. Thanks, Tim

Thread link? > http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?72249-Using-Bushing-Dies-w\o-neck-turning& I feel sizing only 1/2 of the neck will center the round in the chamber, works on my (afraid to say in this forum) Rem. 40X. factory chamber. :eek: Would be nice to hear from the experts if sizing 1/2 helps in a tight neck custom rifle. I have read what Jackie Schmidt posts for a few years, i think he went from bushings to a custom die, no bushings. As far as the "O" ring, i think it goes between the press & the FL die. Lets the die "float" so i have read. :confused: :D

You never know what works till you try it.

Interesting, on Reddings website, one of there tips was to install the bushing with the stamp (.268) of the bushing size, down towards the brass. When the bushing is pushed up contacting the die to size the neck, the 2 flat surfaces come in contact. Not the bump/rise from the stamping.

I guess I haven't posted as much as the expert, so I must be wrong....

It is an Internet law, that those who post the most, are always right.....

The expert may want to try a spelling checker so his words would be taken more seriously by people that like to read English, not Ebonics.....

Interesting, on Reddings website, one of there tips was to install the bushing with the stamp (.268) of the bushing size, down towards the brass. When the bushing is pushed up contacting the die to size the neck, the 2 flat surfaces come in contact. Not the bump/rise from the stamping.

I'm a little slow. What are you talking about?
Butch

Last edited:
Chuckling......... Im no expert, definately not an authority, but Im not exactly sitting in the back of the bus either. where are you putting this O-ring? understand the concept of O-ring between dies and press. Use it. Sooooooo when you guys get done pissing on your key boards, where are you putting the O ring in relation to the bushing? And what size of O-ring?

butch,
redding detected a slight tilt to bushing in use if the top of the bushing hit the top of the die adjuster...IF the imprint on the face of the bushing was raised enough to tilt the bushing.
the raised numbers on the bushing casuing it to tilt.....
mike in co
I'm a little slow. What are you talking about?
Butch

Back