Adjustable 3 jaw chuck

Set Tru chuck

Rob,
You are right about the chuck. Don't know about the 3 jaw plain scroll being made adjustable but I bored my face plate and put a spider into it with the 4 adjustment screws and it works fine. It also shortens up the distance through the spindle so I can handle a 20in barrel. You will never regret getting a set tru type chuck. Dale

Attachments

• 2010 101.jpg
    2010 101.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 505
Gents,

So would it be safe to say for doing BARREL WORK, a 6-jaw set-thru offers no advantages over a 3-jaw set-thru?

I have a 8" 6-jaw set-thru on my big lathe and love it, and will be setting up my new, smaller lathe with a 6" set-thru. If the 6-jaw doesn't offer any advantages over the 3-jaw, why shell out the extra coin for it?

Justin

I stand corrected, thanks Jackie, what I stated was how I was taught. Learn something new everyday.

I am not convinced I am helping or hurting this conversation, however as a newbie at this I found Buck's written help to be valuable.

http://www.buckchuckusa.com/userfiles/How to Mount and Operate(2).pdf

If your chuck or work-holder cannot precisely hold your work, then would it not be reasonable to assume your lathe has little chance of making a precise cut?

Wally

P.S. I would love to follow Jackie Schmidt around for a day or two...or three...or six...

Chucks

We just bought a new 28 inch swing x 24 ft bed Kingston Lathe. It came without a chuck. The Cushman 1016 series heavy duty 4-Jaw we bought for it cost $8500.

That thing is made for serious use only...........jackie

The Cushman 1016 series heavy duty 4-Jaw we bought for it cost $8500.

Jackie,

Outfitting a lathe is a challenge for a finnikin like me...I have purchased some "great deals" that "saved me" some "real money." Some purchases have worked out well and others, well they have a special place for them.

From eBay many moons ago, I purchased a Buck 6 jaw and cleaned it up. Again, for a newbie, it was educational to take something like this apart, see somewhat how it works and try and get it back together.

Before a heavy duty money purchase like a Buck Chuck (a real one) there should be a simple list of questions to ask, like:
- what kind of TIR will it hold? (not considering the spindle run-out...)
- does it appear to have been beat on? (all the war stories I have read, both of mine loosen with a casual tap of a rawhide hammer)
- has the chuck been in your shop since new?
- how would you rate the precision characteristics of this chuck?

Jackie, step in at this point and give us/me more questions to ask to lessen the probability of steppin in the pooo.

Wally

It take me about 10 minutes to get the 4 jaw dialled in...

I wish I could charge for 10 minutes to just dial in a barrel. With my Set-Tru six jaw I can dial in a barrel in under one minute. And I'm sure the barrel is held steady and tight with equal pressure.

Some things just don't make sense not to upgrade to and a four jaw is just plain slow and not as effective as a Set-Tru type chuck

P6300004-vi.jpg

Sounds like some (based on comments) do not worry about coaxial alignment of the lathe spindle and the bore axis. An "Adjust-Tru" / "Set-Tru" chuck, only adjusts for concentric run out.

We just bought a new 28 inch swing x 24 ft bed Kingston Lathe. It came without a chuck. The Cushman 1016 series heavy duty 4-Jaw we bought for it cost $8500.

hehehehe oh yeah!! Jackie there's nothing i love more than to see the swarf fly.... We have an old chinese 70's vintage 30" x 20' in our workshop.. I love to get the old girl wound up with a 10mm depth of cut and a heavy feed rate and just stand back and let her go!!! You pretty much need an armour plated umbrella so survive the bombardment of swarf...

Cheers
Leeroy

Sounds like some (based on comments) do not worry about coaxial alignment of the lathe spindle and the bore axis. An "Adjust-Tru" / "Set-Tru" chuck, only adjusts for concentric run out.

TRA good observation. If you are going to ream ream a die conical runout is another concern. If you have any ideas on how to deal with it I would be interested.

Back