Action Wrench

M

max.burgess

What is the best type of action wrench ? What are the prows & cons of the rear entry & the Port Entry?
Can you damage the action with these?
Thanks Max

Remington style actions are best removed for the first time with an external style wrench. In other words one that will clamp around the front of the reciever an capture the recoil lug. You can also drill a 1/4" hole in the bottom of the wrench behind the recoil lug recess for a 1/4-28 screw. This will remove the worst remingtons with out any distortion. I almost forgot the most important part, a big hammer! After that a side entry or rear entry wrench will do a good job.

What is the best type of action wrench ? What are the prows & cons of the rear entry & the Port Entry?
Can you damage the action with these?
Thanks Max
Best to use a rear entry wrench that drives off the actions lugs on actions that have front lugs like Rem 700's, Pandas, etc. . Why?

1) you are not putting torque on the action body. They will twist out of shape!! Been there..done that. The most recent new Rem 700 I took apart a 300 #/ft air wrench wouldn't budge it. Took most of the output of a 900 #/ft wrench. I have seen a few that required cutting a groove in the barrel just ahead of the recoil lug.

2) If you are using a rear entry wrench the rotational force is along the same axis as the barrel/action assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the help. Ive got a Bat Action and a switch barrel 700 Remington. Max

I would NEVER recommend a port wrench, we have seen too many actions damaged by port wrenches. A good rear entry wrench with a good barrel vise will save you money not spent repairing burrs and scratches caused by inferior products

Jim

The problem is that over the years many barrels have been attached in factories using threads designed to be deformed as the barrel reaches final position.

It makes VERY sure the barrel will not move under anything but very 'controlled' conditions.

It is not designed for easy disassembly.
Ever again.

One and done without heating/welding of the receiver ring or barrel.

Receivers designed for barrel switching have a square shoulder for seating.

Back