Action to action variation

tiny68

In terms of fitting a short-chambered barrel to action, what type of variation have you seen in Rem 700 actions? Say you measured from boltface to actionface, are we taking only 0.005-0.020" or can there be really significant differences, greater than 0.025"?

Just trying to learn a little, tim

They vary a little... but you don't want a short chambered barrel unless you have a chambering reamer to finish it... a slightly long chambered barrel can be fitted to the correct head space by having a go gauge and machining some off the end of the barrel... fitting it to that action correctly.

What I was thinking was about a way to do something like a pre-fit barrel using shims made of shim-stock to set the headspace. Give a pre-fit barrel (completely chambered) and then include a 0.001, 0.002, 0.003, 0.005 & 0.007" stocks and stacked as need just we do with die shims. I know you can use a barrel nut like the Savages. With the wild success of the pre-fit market for Savages, I was thinking about a way someone could do this with pre-fit Remmies. Not trying to put any gunsmith's out of business, but pre-fits on Savages have allowed me to try chamberings I couldn't consider otherwise. Tim

I don't think shims will hold up in a remmy setup. You'll just smash them out of the way when you torque the barrel.

Strictly from a design stand point if you made the thinnest shim used thick enough to withstand the forces involved it could be made to work, say 0.030", 0.031", 0.032". But the shim pack would have to cover the variations in the actions and would be for a certain recoil lug thickness. You'd have the cost of manufacturing the shims to consider...probably have to be ground to thickness.

zp3

In terms of fitting a short-chambered barrel to action, what type of variation have you seen in Rem 700 actions? Say you measured from boltface to actionface, are we taking only 0.005-0.020" or can there be really significant differences, greater than 0.025"?

Just trying to learn a little, tim

I see "significant" differences as being differences that make barrels non-interchangable. i.e. barrels chan't be screwed randomly onto receivers and be correctly headspaced like mass produced parts. That means differences of ~.003" or more are significant in the sense it means the barrel/chamber need to be custom fit to the action. The only rifles I know of that don't have significant differences, and also have barrel interchangability, are those that, like Savage, use a barrel nut and don't require an extractor groove.

Fitch

Remingtons with a barrel nut is a much better way to go.

Shims have been tried with varying amounts of success, but a barrel nuts is a much better solution for prefit barrels.

Back