Action stripped threads

What I ended up doing

Well, here is how it has turned out sofar:

Tried running a tap through the threaded hole; indeed, some metal is missing and that didn't help. I really wasn't happy with the amount of looseness of the bolt, all the way until the very last (of 3-4, max) thread.

I ended up taking a 1/4-28 bolt and threading it a bit farther so that it was long enough to make a stud (had to cut off the head, clean up threads, etc); then I glued it into the damaged hole with Devcon, day after bedding the new stock. "Countersunk" a bit wider around the previous bolt hole so that a nut (and driver) would fit.

It has ended up rock solid so far. It is blowing like crazy here in Florida today (while blizzard envelops northeast coast) but was still able to sight in the rifle and get a near-ragged-hole group.

All seems far better for at least the moment. I chose that solution because seemed to me glue was better used to secure a stud, than to attempt to make threads; and if it comes undone, I can remove the glue and try one of the other solutions. Y'all have been a great help with all the varied solutions! Someone suggested the stud idea and that was the quickest easiest really solid one.

Back