Action Bedding

J

jlmurphy

In bedding the action to a stock, does anyone also bed the bottom of the barrel beneath the chamber? I have seen it both ways, but after a recent article on barrel movement during firing, the point was made that any barrel contact would be detrimental. To confuse the issue further, I have found that bedding beneath the chamber significantly stiffened synthetic stocks. What about glue ins? is the barrel also glued? Any thoughts?

A lot of how you bed a stock depends on the stock itself and whether you want a glue-in or pillar bedding. I really don't know of anyone in the short range crowd who beds the chamber area of the barrel. Most Short Range BR rifles are switch barrels and many have multiple barrels at the same time and bedding the chamber area on these can cause a lot more problems than it could solve. Most Short Range BR guns are glued-in but not all. And it's just the action that is glued....not the barrel.

Hovis

Well if you want to switch the barrel out glued in barrel would sure make it a lot harder to achieve this.:D

The real secret is to know what you want? If it is alight weight taper, you give it what the rifle shoots the best at, if it shoots best bedded under the chamber or with up pressure at the for end, then that's what you are going to do. But never glue the barrel in. It will not allow for changes in conditions.

Any new thoughts on this?

This is an old thread. Any new ideas or thoughts on this? I have bedded both ways, was told that long heavy barrels needed more support and should be bedded 3" in front of the lug. This was on long range guns.

Free float the barrel. I've never seen proof that bedding a portion of the tube helps with varmint class contours. Besides, if you did you'd need to rebed that section everytime you swap barrels for a perfect fit.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

My uneducated guess..on a single bbl rifle, IF the bbl is torqued properly for the thread size,
that bbl movement would be close to none, so bedding the bbl in THAT case might be just fine.

You don't think a barrel moves when its fired? I would guess again, if I were you!! Look up some slow motion video, you will be amazed. Lee

It's not a good idea to bed the barrel, especially if the rifle is to be shot multiple times in a string. As the barrel increases in temperature it expands. It shouldn't be partially constricted in the stock with bedding compound, but fully free floating with a large gap between the stock and barrel.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

if the bbl was PROPERLY torqued to the receiver.....both will see the force of the fired round.
if poorly torqued the same shot could provide different force.
this was from a thread in the past that i read here....

proper torque was the variable

You don't think a barrel moves when its fired? I would guess again, if I were you!! Look up some slow motion video, you will be amazed. Lee

Cooper Chamber Bedded

My 6 BR Cooper Phoenix came with bedding under the chamber area. It shoots great.

Seen this discussed multiple times. The guys who think it needs to be bedded under the chamber will think it needs to be no matter who says otherwise. The guys who think no bedding under the chamber will do the same. Short answer is that it's easy to test. Bed it under the chamber, shoot it seeing how it shoots. Mill out the bedding under the chamber free floating the whole length of the barrel. Test and see how it shoots. If it shoots better one way or the other, there's your answer. Targets don't lie. Free floating the full length of the barrel is how I've done it for years. See no reason to bed under the chamber. Makes it immensely simpler changing barrels. You'll never see a 100/200 yard competition benchrest rifle with the barrel not completely freefloated. Doubt very seriously if you'll see a F-class rifle that's not full length freefloated either. Straight 1.25" diameter x 32" barrels are common in F-class.

Back