Accuracy / BR gunsmiths in Western Canada

N

NRousu

I'm looking for an gunsmith in Western Canada, preferably in Alberta, that is capable of producing a competitive BR rifle. Any names would be most welcome. I remember Ross Spagrud in Winnipeg, but if possible would like to find someone more local.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

(I tried using the search function, but wasn't able to find an answer...)

Bill Leeper. Not sure of his address but he is located in southwest Alberta. Some of the forum members may have contact information.

I'm sure many of the other forum members will vouch for him.

Good luck,

Sandbag

not likely Bill

Bill has not produced a winning BR gun for over a decade and does not work on them at all, he can barely see to type on a computor (and yes I am competitive and know him personally, if you wish just ask Tony G for input)

do you have the parts, if not just buy a complete gun from 1-800-buyalreadybuilt and import it. or do you have 3500 or 4000 and we can find you a new gun with no rounds through it and built by the best.

go over to benchrest.ca for more info and join the crowd, we have a intro class coming up in May just before the super shoot so some of us may not be there to coach.

there are about 3 machinists or machinist wanabees that could spin on a barrel for you but stock work that is a different matter, better to use someone like Ian R. or one who has access to be able to get a CNC done on the stock and has ACTUALLY built winning guns, all others will leave you speechless as in (you got to be kidding me) when you get get a gun that will make you (as in Duck Dynasty--- happy happy happy)

and there are many to stay away from, get to know your local shooters and they can steer you in the right direction,

Jefferson

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill has done 2 guns for me and some of the smallest groups I have shot were with them. He is in Elko B.C. not far from the Alberta border.

Bill has done 2 guns for me and some of the smallest groups I have shot were with them. He is in Elko B.C. not far from the Alberta border.

Maybe fill us in on the guns and how many years ago, i was under the impression that you had a gun there over winter a few years back and decided not to have him re-barrel it after a six month wait, was I mistaken

and name a full -blown benchgun he has built in the last decade please

Jefferson

Bill is always busy and it is a bit of a drive, that doesn't mean I think he is blind or incapable of building a good gun. He has likely forgotten more about accuracy than most people know. Sometimes you don't word things very well Jeff.

Bill is always busy and it is a bit of a drive, that doesn't mean I think he is blind or incapable of building a good gun. He has likely forgotten more about accuracy than most people know. Sometimes you don't word things very well Jeff.

I know we are friends but you did not answer the question TONY, what full blown benchgun has he built in the last decade, and I also notice you did not want to answer about the non-completion of work I mentioned,

Bill Leeper may be a nice guy and knows how to WRITE on the internet but NO_ONE I repeat NOONE has got him to build their full blown benchgun in the last decade,

so Tony name me one or two guns on the line used by shooters who travel, there are none. period, end of story

the problem is not the telling of the story so as not to offend anyone it is about telling the truth, he has not built a benchgun in a very long time and Mr. O and I were discussing last night his feeble attempt at bringing his winchester or remington that would not extract catridges the last time at Rosebud some 5 or 6 years ago, I wished I had a pic of that gun,

last time,

Bill has forgotton more than I will ever know,(big deal I know nothing about lateh work) but I know one thing, I know where to get a GREAT rifle built and it is not with Bill (and the OP was looking to get a good gun built or was he going to be satisfied with a OK rifle, if so PLEASE let him buy a used B Leeper gun that is being used by someone today at registered matches, there aint none around and i would not buy one and neither would you)

why is it so hard to just tell folks not to use someone anymore,

Tony I know you got lester to build your gun, and other barrels I thought, and no way were you going to get Bill to built it, just be honest, Bill does not build benchguns anymore, so why send someone new over to him,

to be BLUNT Tony nor anyone in Alberta who competes would not get a new gun built by Leeper, not a chance in he$$

I stand by my comments and saw him at the Kamloops gunshow last year and he said he does not want to build benchguns we are too picky

Jefferson

Last edited by a moderator:
Back