ABRA Texas State Equipment List

MrsShootinthing

I have had a few request to see what equipment were are shooting in ABRA.
We put together a list from the tournament yesterday.

Thanks
Lisa

Last edited:
The most interesting thing to me is that there was only one shooter who shot Eley with the rest all using Lapua either Midas or Center X. That's what it was like 20 years ago.

Thaks for the post!

Dave

You seldom see Eley at an ABRA match.

My personal take is that a lot of people like Center-X at it's performance vs price point. I have tested a lot of ammo over the last year and my personal opinion is that Eley just does not perform well in autoloaders. The flat nosed bullets which have performed so well in bolt guns just undergoes too much deformation in a tight chambered autoloader. I run feeding tests with new ammo and see more tip damage. All ammo does to some extent, but Eley takes a beating. This increased damage is borne out by the accuracy tests.

Don't count these auto's short!

I shoot with these guys and their rifles shoot right up there with many custom bolt target rifles. There have been several 250s in 50/50 shot with these autoloaders. It is most amazing to me how these autos with their complicated actions full of moving parts and heavier trigers will shoot so well. It must be in the barrel. These guys don't even allow one piece rests in their automatic benchrest matches. The cost of one of these rifles is about one thousand without a scope.

Are their rifles as good as the best bolt guns? Probably not, but I would not want to try to live on the difference.

Concho Bill

You seldom see Eley at an ABRA match.

My personal take is that a lot of people like Center-X at it's performance vs price point. I have tested a lot of ammo over the last year and my personal opinion is that Eley just does not perform well in autoloaders. The flat nosed bullets which have performed so well in bolt guns just undergoes too much deformation in a tight chambered autoloader. I run feeding tests with new ammo and see more tip damage. All ammo does to some extent, but Eley takes a beating. This increased damage is borne out by the accuracy tests.

Not to mention dealing with the wax that Eley uses. It gums up the magazine and action requiring to clean more often. I actually believe that the Laupa helps lubricate the action and makes it easier to clean. Now don't want to let the secret out but we're finding some great accuracy with it also.

Les

There is no rule that prohibits using the auto single shot but it would slow the shooter down so much that they might not finish in the time allowed. We all use the ten round mags.

I'm new here and know nothing about benchrest but I like to learn. I had no idea that a 10-22 action was the top choice!

Now I gotta buy a stock one just because of that.

I'm new here and know nothing about benchrest but I like to learn. I had no idea that a 10-22 action was the top choice!

Now I gotta buy a stock one just because of that.

Now hold off JD, unless you plan to shoot with others in the Automatic Benchrest Association. Most serious benchrest shooters that shoot with rimfire, use custom bolt action rifles. I just think that it is amazing how well the custom 10-22s are. If you are interested in benchrest shooting, see what others in your area are using. I have a stock CZ452 and two Anchutzs that i believe will out shoot most stock Ruger 10-22s.

Oops. Thank you because I didn't know about the ABA.

And yep, smallbore shooters at my club like the bolt guns you mentioned.

Oops. Thank you because I didn't know about the ABA.

And yep, smallbore shooters at my club like the bolt guns you mentioned.

JD if you would like any info on a custom semi auto
let me Know we can run with the best of them .

Joe
830-796-0815

Now hold off JD, unless you plan to shoot with others in the Automatic Benchrest Association. Most serious benchrest shooters that shoot with rimfire, use custom bolt action rifles. I just think that it is amazing how well the custom 10-22s are. If you are interested in benchrest shooting, see what others in your area are using. I have a stock CZ452 and two Anchutzs that i believe will out shoot most stock Ruger 10-22s.

Come on Bill ,you know that the cz and Anchutz cant run with us .

Joe

Come on Bill ,you know that the cz and Anchutz cant run with us .

Joe

Joe, The custom built 10-22 that we use can shoot with the best of them, even most custom target bolt action rimfires. The off the shelf 10-22 will not compete with custom built rimfire target rifles of any kind.

Go back to my first post on this thread. The ARBC competition is growing and has proven the accuracy of this type of rifle.

There is no rule that prohibits using the auto single shot but it would slow the shooter down so much that they might not finish in the time allowed. We all use the ten round mags.

Just to clarify for people not involved, the rules do specifically state that all rounds must be fed from the magazine.

As an aside, I think this is the single biggest unstudied issue with the auto guns. A good shooter in Ohio showed me that his (non Ruger) sporter class gun could shoot right along with the unlimiteds when single fed by hand.

Just to clarify for people not involved, the rules do specifically state that all rounds must be fed from the magazine.

As an aside, I think this is the single biggest unstudied issue with the auto guns. A good shooter in Ohio showed me that his (non Ruger) sporter class gun could shoot right along with the unlimiteds when single fed by hand.

Art, Thank you for the correction. See, I just thought I knew it all.

Matches 2017 or next match

When do the matches start up for next year or when is the next match? I would like join in the fun.

David

Kidd Supergrade and a few other questions

Do any of you run the new supergrade action? I see most don't use the KIDD factory barrels which I assume is because they can't hang with the custom barrels. I know the new Supergrade as a longer "shank" and can you better harmonics and more accuracy out of it or did KIDD just design it that was was quick and easy barrel swaps. Is the regular KIDD receiver fine? Are people mostly running the shield with the ratchet rifling? Being semiautomatic do you find short barrels are better than longer because of all the movement or not?

When do the matches start up for next year or when is the next match? I would like join in the fun.

David

David,
I am a benchrest shooter that just moved out of Houston last year, I live in Wimberley now and shoot in Boerne every month, they hold only rimfire matches, 3 times a month, ARA, IR 50/50, and ABRA, they will start back in Feb. don't know the exact dates yet, but I do know that the ARA, and IR50/50 are held on Wed. evenings start around 6:30 pm, the ABRA matches are held on Sat. same time, these are all held in the evening due to less wind condition ( so they claimed )
There are no benchrest matches in Houston anymore after I moved. There is a monthly match in Tomball on the 4th Sunday of each month, and one in Lufkin on the 2nd. Sat. of each month, neither one is registered, but the rules are the same, and both places have an average turned out of 10 to 15 shooters, they are both excellent facilities and very nice and friendly bunch of guys, you don't have to be a member of the clubs to participate, all you have to do is show up, same as Boerne.
If you need further info you may contact me at eveliomcdonald@g-mail.com
Evelio.

Back