ABRA Factory Class question

JimReed1948

I was reviewing the rules under the ABRA Factory Class rifles and was curious what people are using.

After reading the rules, it appears a KIDD Supergrade model or a Volquartsen rifle would be acceptable.

10. ABRA (Factory) Class Rifle

10.1 There is no restriction on scope power.

10.2 You must use the original factory stock, but factory stocks may be bedded.

10.3 Factory rifle barrel with factory markings must be used for its model, and
no diameter more than .750, at the end of the barrel and without alteration.
However, it may be re-crowned and re-chambered. If barrel has a front sight,
it must be retained. Rear sight may be taken off to make room for scope.

10.4 Factory rifle trigger may be altered and lightened but OEM trigger housing
must be used.

10.5 Factory rifle bolt may be altered or replaced. Bolt handle spring may be
lightened, altered or replaced to be able to fire target type ammo.

10.6 Neither front nor rear rest may be affixed or tied down to bench, or fixture
of any kind. The rests front and rear must be able to be picked up from the
bench at any time. Gun must be allowed to recoil freely.

10.7 No mid-barrel or muzzle tuners are allowed.

10.8 No other modifications for Factory class rifles will be allowed other than
what is stated above.

10.9 The gun also needs to be able to function in a semi-auto fashion at all times,
and all Cartridges must be fed from a magazine into the guns chamber.

Last edited:
I was reviewing the rules under the ABRA Factory Class rifles and was curious what people are using.

After reading the rules, it appears a KIDD Supergrade model or a Volquartsen rifle would be acceptable.

10. ABRA (Factory) Class Rifle

10.1 There is no restriction on scope power.

10.2 You must use the original factory stock, but factory stocks may be bedded.

10.3 Factory rifle barrel with factory markings must be used for its model, and
no diameter more than .750, at the end of the barrel and without alteration.
However, it may be re-crowned and re-chambered. If barrel has a front sight,
it must be retained. Rear sight may be taken off to make room for scope.

10.4 Factory rifle trigger may be altered and lightened but OEM trigger housing
must be used.

10.5 Factory rifle bolt may be altered or replaced. Bolt handle spring may be
lightened, altered or replaced to be able to fire target type ammo.

10.6 Neither front nor rear rest may be affixed or tied down to bench, or fixture
of any kind. The rests front and rear must be able to be picked up from the
bench at any time. Gun must be allowed to recoil freely.

10.7 No mid-barrel or muzzle tuners are allowed.

10.8 No other modifications for Factory class rifles will be allowed other than
what is stated above.

10.9 The gun also needs to be able to function in a semi-auto fashion at all times,
and all Cartridges must be fed from a magazine into the guns chamber.
No sir those rifles do NOT classify as factory:
alot of people use the ruger ltv , ruger carbine ,Remington 597 and even the marlin model 60

Thanks Joe

Last edited:
Factory Class

Joe - if a rifle meets the stated rules, then why is it not a "factory" rifle.

Wilbur

The factory class rules state the following:

10.3 Factory rifle barrel with factory markings must be used for its model, and no diameter more than .750, at the end of the barrel and without alteration. However, it may be re-crowned and re-chambered. If barrel has a front sight, it must be retained. Rear sight may be taken off to make room for scope.

The Kidd and Volquartsen Rifles have a .920 barrel and are not eligible for factory class. Almost all if not all of the after market semi -autos have a larger barrel diameter than a .750.

Lisa

Wilbur

The factory class rules state the following:

10.3 Factory rifle barrel with factory markings must be used for its model, and no diameter more than .750, at the end of the barrel and without alteration. However, it may be re-crowned and re-chambered. If barrel has a front sight, it must be retained. Rear sight may be taken off to make room for scope.

The Kidd and Volquartsen Rifles have a .920 barrel and are not eligible for factory class. Almost all if not all of the after market semi -autos have a larger barrel diameter than a .750.

Lisa

Hmmmm. KIDD offers a barrel that starts at a .920 and tapers to .700 which would allow it within the Factory Class of .750 maximum. So, if the rifle is ordered with the tapered barrel, .920 to .700, could it be used?

It seems like the KIDD should be able to be used if the Remington, Marlin and other rifles are allowed. There is nothing in the rules that indicates the rifle cannot cost more than $350 or any other given amount. If the barrel diameter is the only consideration, then it should be allowed?

I'm not trying to be an ass here, just want some good clarification on the rule. I would much rather invest in a KIDD than a Ruger 1234 and have to bring it up to parr for match shooting.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. KIDD offers a barrel that starts at a .920 and tapers to .700 which would allow it within the Factory Class of .750 maximum. So, if the rifle is ordered with the tapered barrel, .920 to .700, could it be used?

It seems like the KIDD should be able to be used if the Remington, Marlin and other rifles are allowed. There is nothing in the rules that indicates the rifle cannot cost more than $350 or any other given amount. If the barrel diameter is the only consideration, then it should be allowed?

I'm not trying to be an ass here, just want some good clarification on the rule. I would much rather invest in a KIDD than a Ruger 1234 and have to bring it up to parr for match shooting.

There is a big difference between OMC and aftermarket parts tolerance etc. I guess, I will put it in the rules so it is clear.
JOE

Last edited:
There is a big difference between OMC and aftermarket parts tolerance etc. I guess, I will put it in the rules so it is clear.
JOE

taken from there advertising KIDD Innovative Design manufactures aftermarket Ruger 10/22 upgrade parts and complete custom rifles. It is a privately owned company

The same question popped into my mind when I first wanted a factory class gun three years ago. After thinking about it, I realized that rifles like the Kidd fail to meet the fundamental requirement of being a "Model". Kidd will build you a rifle to spec that meets all the rules of the class, but it is not a specific recognized model of a production rifle defined by a factory spec. It is simply a custom rifle that meets the rules. When someone tells me he is using a Ruger LVT model 01234, I know exactly what they mean and that I can go pick it up at the local gun shop. It is defined by the manufacturers fixed specifications, not by what parts you order.

Part of the draw to factory class is that you must use a gun that is hard to control and shoot at it's highest level and puts more demands on the shooter.

The same question popped into my mind when I first wanted a factory class gun three years ago. After thinking about it, I realized that rifles like the Kidd fail to meet the fundamental requirement of being a "Model". Kidd will build you a rifle to spec that meets all the rules of the class, but it is not a specific recognized model of a production rifle defined by a factory spec. It is simply a custom rifle that meets the rules. When someone tells me he is using a Ruger LVT model 01234, I know exactly what they mean and that I can go pick it up at the local gun shop. It is defined by the manufacturers fixed specifications, not by what parts you order.

Part of the draw to factory class is that you must use a gun that is hard to control and shoot at it's highest level and puts more demands on the shooter.

This makes a sense. I think Joe needs to clarify exactly what "Factory Class" means. If something like this comes up just before a state or national match, there could be a lot of issues if the rules are not completely clear.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the rules are very specific that the barrel retain it's factory marking. Customs and custom orders, to my knowledge, do not meet this rule. I presume all Kidd rifles come with Kidd barrels and are marked as any Kidd aftermarket barrel; i.e. with only Kidd and .22 LR marked on the barrel. With only this there is no way to determine if the barrel was sold with a production rifle or was a hand picked or customized aftermarket barrel put together from parts.

You don't need to change those rules as far as I'm concerned. If you say a rifle is not legal for the class...then it's simply not legal. You can write rules till you're blue in the face and still not have all the possibilities covered.

I don't think the rules need any changes. when I wanted to get into ABRA I simply called Joe and asked him the best one to get. He was really helpful and I followed his advice on the LVT. I also let him do his work on it to make it a factory shooter. He does wonders on them. It's a really great shooter and well into the ability to win matches with.

Back