A Gun Safety Reminder

Hunter

Throwin' Up Spray
Recently, I heard from someone who mishandled a gun -- with unpleasant consequences. I thought a safety reminder might be worthwhile. So, here goes:

Regarding guns in the house:

1. Don’t keep a gun loaded (you can get a pump-action shotgun loaded faster than you read this sentence).
2. Don’t pull the trigger without looking at the chamber to be SURE it’s not loaded.
3. Don’t hand/accept a gun to/from anyone without looking at the chamber to be SURE it’s not loaded.
4. Don’t point a gun at anyone (including yourself) – ever.​

Feel free to add to the above list.

Recently, I heard from someone who mishandled a gun -- with unpleasant consequences. I thought a safety reminder might be worthwhile. So, here goes:

Regarding guns in the house:

1. Don’t keep a gun loaded (you can get a pump-action shotgun loaded faster than you read this sentence).
2. Don’t pull the trigger without looking at the chamber to be SURE it’s not loaded.
3. Don’t hand/accept a gun to/from anyone without looking at the chamber to be SURE it’s not loaded.
4. Don’t point a gun at anyone (including yourself) – ever.​

Feel free to add to the above list.

Good advice, but I'll add a couple caveats.

In re: #1, I think whether or not you keep a loaded gun in your house is dependent on your individual situation, not a hard and fast rule. If you have children in the house, I think it's a great idea, but you should ensure that you've trained yourself to the point where racking the slide upon bring the gun into action is second nature (thinking semi-auto). I shot with some Israeli Special Forces guys a few years back and they carry with empty chambers in their sidearms and their Tavors (they will carry chambered dependent on the situation, though), but they train for it extensively and can do it FAST! You should also know how to chamber a round with one hand.

I agree with you on the shotgun, and that is how law enforcement carries them in their patrol units (cruiser carry). And the sound of a pump shotgun being racked is a HUGE dissuader to those with less than polite intentions.

For #4, I think Col. Cooper's "Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy" is a better way of looking at it.

Col. Cooper's 4 basic rules of gun safety pretty much says it all.

Justin

i do not take the gas out of my car when i park it,
i do not empty hand guns/rifles/shotguns used for home defense.
you do what ever you want

Gun Safety

Look at the statistics on accidental shootings. A form letter, with gun safety rules should be mailed to every household in the Country.

Glenn

This is a very good thread

We use our guns so often that we can forget these things can be quite deadly!!!

We have all seen holes in our canopies. Most of these were accidents.

If you are at the range, and for what ever reason have to stick a cleaning rod into the barrel from the muzzle end, (removing a stuck bullet comes to mind), DOUBLE CHECK! AND TRIPLE CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE IT!

The results of not removing it will be disastrous.

If you are at the range, and for what ever reason have to stick a cleaning rod into the barrel from the muzzle end, (removing a stuck bullet comes to mind), DOUBLE CHECK! AND TRIPLE CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE IT!

The results of not removing it will be disastrous.

Not always. An acquaintance propelled a .22 rod downrange with a 63 grainer in a .223.

He swore his gunsmith to secrecy after he had the rig checked out. I was about the 10th call the smith made that morning.

Back