A Call from Dad

B Kadow

Contemplating my first post, I thought I might post some great shooting info, probably something that I heard or learned from someone else... but today it hit me that this should be my first post.
Dad called today and said "Do you know where I was 67 years ago today?" I knew - Iwo Jima! Dad was 19 and in the Navy on the LSM 264, a ship built to haul tanks and other equipment. Basically this was a smaller version of the better known LST. The 264 sailed with a group of tanks and the Marines that manned them. On the first run in they would drop the rear anchor and go as far onto the beach as they could lowering the ramp and sending the tanks onto the island. As soon as the tanks were off they would use the anchor to wench themselves off the beach and head out to reload and return with supplies.
This is where the lives of these men changed forever... These men shared a ship and lots of jabs back and forth about the Marines vs. Navy. But when those Marines left the ship many of them never returned.
The crew of the 264 transported the Marines to the island and transported the casualties back to the waiting hospital ships.
Every year on February 19th I can't get this picture out of my mind. Can you imagine what this must have been like. It all happened so fast and touched so many lives, not just those who were casualties but even those who were in support roles watching all this unfold.
I also think about the debt we owe our veterans, especially the veterans who were in or supported those in combat. I think about the men and women who suffered the after-effects. They went through hell and were sent home to put their life back together on the theory of "Act normal and you'll feel normal." One thing that stands out from my talk with my day today was when I said "I guess you get used to seeing the killing and the casualties" his answer was "Yeah, but you never get over it."
I would like to end by saying I appreciate the sacrifices these men made - Sacrifices that most of us can only imagine.
Bernie Kadow

Being in the military is the only time in most peoples' lives that they are doing something for other people that is of no direct benefit to themselves and may entail great sacrifice on their part.

B Kadow,
Thanks so much for posting this......................the stories of the sacrifices made by our senior members is greatly appreciated by me. It's not unusual for me to tell my waitress at a restaurant to not accept payment from a veteran, that I will pay for his dinner.......to thank him for his service. Recently had a guy from WW11 come over to me and ask why I did that.........I told him as a a thanks for his service. He exclaimed " it's not like we had a choice...............we did what was needed". I later nearly cried thinking of his sacrifice......................... this was the generation that gave all and never asked for anything in return, but instead went on with their lives and worked and raised families. The Vietnam Vets, however, had a very hard row to hoe......they were spit upon by many of their countrymen on their return. While the Vietnam war was very unpopular, those who rejected the returning Vets should be ashamed of themselves.
I hope that the new tradition re- acceptance of Vets from the latest conflict has changed, and that the service and sacrifice exhibited by them is appreciated by the masses. If not, I will spurn all those that show disrespect.

That's the stuff that makes us who we are Bernie. :)

I couldn't imagine a better "first BR central post" from You

Joel

My Dad was on the USS Sirius AK-15. An ancient riveted hull freighter commandeered by the Navy in WW-2 to transport war materials which usually was munitions and fuel. Dad said it was a good chioce to haul the important and volatile goods because it was so decrepit looking and "hardly worth bothering with" even though on one occasion, a single torpedo was shot at them. The Sirius visited all the Pacific Islands such as Eniwetok, Ulithi and Tinian to name a few. I am so proud of my Dad's service on that floating bomb and have much to thank him for including my happy association with guns and the good folks I have met who share my interest. Dad was an ardent shooter who loved the British Enfield rifles.

Back