A blast from the past....

alinwa

oft dis'd member
I was just rereading an old South Bend "how to run a lathe" manual. In the back of these older manuals they always have 1 or 3 lists of rules or kinks or "tips to live by."

One of the items gave me a shiver..... "always roll up your sleeves and remove your necktie before approaching the lathe."

:eek::eek::eek:

Manalive Hebert! I'm a younker from another generation, never had to worry about this pertickler item but OUCHHH!!! A bleedin' NECKTIE???

waugghhhhhhhh.......

al

I have often wondered how the necktie and Suit and or Blazer became what is considered Respectfully Dressed. Doesn't make any sense to have one form of dress be THE ONE.

My father was a high school teacher in a small town in the late 50's. I remember Mom got so angry with him when he would go to the store for something and wouldn't wear his white shirt and tie. At that time he was not supposed to be seen in public without it.

I recall I would go to the shop after school and wait for him to get done working on some engine he was building for his "street racer". He had his white shirt sleeves rolled up and the tie was off, but as soon as he was done with the tools, he would scrub his hands and the tie went back on before he left the school.

Thank God those expectations are gone.

Jim

It's not that I've got problems with a necktie..... it's a necktie AND A LATHE!!!!

oowwwwwwwww............

al

There is one area where I still see this scenario quite often; it's when aerospace engineers go to prototype shops to see how their latest one-off design is progressing or in order to make on-the-fly design changes for ease of manufacturing...............typical over-the-shoulder or stuff the tie in the top shirt pocket is most common way of dealing with the tie, drives safety inspectors nuts.............Don

Back in the early 60's reading English motorcycle magazines it was interesting to see pictures of some guy up to his elbows in a Manx Norton or G50 Matchless with his shirt sleeves rolled up as far as possible and a necktie on. Being a simple Montana boy whose dad worked in a tire shop and wore bib overalls at work and a necktie for church or special occasions I was amazed.

Thankfully for their sake we've had an uncivilizing effect on our British cousins. :D

The Precision Shooting editor Dave Brennen has often remarked he is all thumbs, and needs help for any thing mechanical. One example he used was that he'd get his necktie caught up in the loading press.

Way Way back In the school days, If one of the shop instructors caught anyone with long sleeves or a tie in the shop.... they had the fastest scissors I have ever seen.

My oldest son was working with the son of a machinist...... the subject of chuck keys came up. This guy had a great story about his Dad's solution. In their shop he hung the drill press chuck keys on a leather strap stapled to the wall with a fencing staple. The lesson learned while working one's way in on a flailing leather strap loaded with a steel staple was one not soon forgotten!

But the necktie still gives me shivers..... methinks the 'lesson learned' would be permanent. I cringe at the guys who insist on wearing neck jewelry, "oh it'll just break if the machine grabs it.." Yeahh? That sharks tooth on a leather bootstrap will "just break off?"

I won't even wear my wedding ring, let alone having my danglies out around spinning shafts and such!

al

Back