98 Mauser ejection woes. 257 weatherby.

RustyShackle

First time posting here, but long time lurker.

Howdy gents, have an old project that needs finishing. It started life as an Interarms mark X in 25-06 and was rechambered to 257 WBY. (I’m guessing on the 25-06 part)

This was all done prior to me and likely done sometime in 80s as the import date and the scope are both from that time. Rifle feeds property and extracts strong, shoots well, however it doesn’t eject brass worth a darn. I’ll do my best to describe what I’ve noticed.

(Bolt to rear) When the brass makes contact with the ejector it pivots the brass over into the rear receiver. The brass is then ‘flung out’ of the bolt face, with the case head making contact with inside of the receiver, this pivoting the case back into the mag well. I shot some slow motion video, although I’m not internet literate enough to post a video of what’s happening. So we have my notes above.

Few thoughts.

1: ejector is too short, although it protrudes through bolt face when bolt all the way rear.
2. Rear bridge needs milled to allow case to pivot more, before being kicked out of bolt face
3. Extractor might be a little tight. How many thousandths should extractor be displaced by ‘grabbing the case head?

Thanks in advance. My apologies on typos and details. Posting from a phone.

Last edited:
It probably has something to do with the much larger diameter case, and possibly the belt on the Weatherby case.

How did you modify the extractor to grab the larger case?

That video would help in seeing just what is going on and where the problem arises.

I didn’t modify the extractor. That was all done prior to me. It was ground or filed in a larger radius to what looks like about the correct size. Hence my question about how much the extractor should be displaced when it latches onto the case head. The locking lug on inside has a groove milled through it for the ejector. Rim support is done via the top and the feeding detent for brass is on the lower. The extractor pushes the case head into this ‘split’ locking lug. How hard or how much should the spring on the extractor deflect when in use?

I will try to figure out a way to post a video, but like I said, when the case head hits the ejector the brass pivots into rear bridge on receiver. It then gets ‘kicked’ out of the bolt head. When the brass starts to rotate out of the action the case head on the brass hits the inside of the receiver, thus causing brass to fall into magazine well.

Thanks.

It's a fairly common issue

what I would try first is to put a bevel at the rear of the loading port. That usually takes care of the problem.
You can also add some length to the ejector blade if need be. Not very often have I had to do that.

This is assuming the extractor claw has been fit properly.

Richard

what I would try first is to put a bevel at the rear of the loading port. That usually takes care of the problem.
You can also add some length to the ejector blade if need be. Not very often have I had to do that.

This is assuming the extractor claw has been fit properly.

Richard

Ok, how much to bevel? And at what angle, I’m guessing a 45 looks about right?

Is there a source for ejectors that are long? Or do I need to plan on modifying an original?

Ok, how to tell if extractor was properly fit? I’m not Mauser savvy.

I think I’m on the right track with a fix, I just don’t want to butcher things.

Thanks! Try inserting a video.

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EOIEHrIc-YTwFvvDWPPd_C6-SnFSL01U/view?usp=drivesdk[/video]

Last edited:
Your video tells the story

Your probably about right on the 45 deg. Just relieve at the back of the port and it will work fine.
From the video the ejector timing looks fine. I don't think you need a longer ejector plate.
On the extractor the case should fit with zero pressure on the claw and a couple of thou won't hurt.
Has the extractor been modified to be a push feed? I set the extractor claw to do both controlled feed and push feed.

Richard

Ok, I’ll try my hand at modifying the rear bridge. I thought that was a likely fix. I’ll measure how far the extractor is moving when a case is in the bolt face. Sounds like a couple of thousandths is about the correct movement. I’ll measure and start filing and modifying as necessary. Thanks!

I didn’t modify the extractor. That was all done prior to me. It was ground or filed in a larger radius to what looks like about the correct size. Hence my question about how much the extractor should be displaced when it latches onto the case head. The locking lug on inside has a groove milled through it for the ejector. Rim support is done via the top and the feeding detent for brass is on the lower. The extractor pushes the case head into this ‘split’ locking lug. How hard or how much should the spring on the extractor deflect when in use?

I will try to figure out a way to post a video, but like I said, when the case head hits the ejector the brass pivots into rear bridge on receiver. It then gets ‘kicked’ out of the bolt head. When the brass starts to rotate out of the action the case head on the brass hits the inside of the receiver, thus causing brass to fall into magazine well.

Thanks.

Do you have a grandchild, neighbor high school student? Ask them to help w/ all computer problems. Grease their palm a little and they will ask if you need any help every time you see them. Even better take em shooting now and then weather they help w/ computer or not, esp if they do.

Do you have a grandchild, neighbor high school student? Ask them to help w/ all computer problems. Grease their palm a little and they will ask if you need any help every time you see them. Even better take em shooting now and then weather they help w/ computer or not, esp if they do.

:)

We had our Hunter Ed "Range Day" yesterday. I had a 15yrold computer nerd on the line and I asked him my obligatory question....."have you ever fired a shotgun?"

"only on 'Call Of Duty' "

"OK, so hold it like this and lean . . . . . etc etc"

2 minutes later, eyes as big as oysters...."that was AWESOME!!!! Let's do some more!"

Your probably about right on the 45 deg. Just relieve at the back of the port and it will work fine.
From the video the ejector timing looks fine. I don't think you need a longer ejector plate.
On the extractor the case should fit with zero pressure on the claw and a couple of thou won't hurt.
Has the extractor been modified to be a push feed? I set the extractor claw to do both controlled feed and push feed.

Richard

The extractor has had just a smidge removed off the bottom corner. I haven’t tried throwing one into the chamber and seeing if I can get the extractor over the brass. Weatherby brass isn’t cheap and I sure don’t want to destroy it playing around.

Also the extractor is under pressure when a holding a case. Possibly I need to remove some material from the extractor face, or take just a little pressure off by tweaking the extractor a little?

And maybe it will be a combination of things that get this ejecting like it should.

Many thanks.

Don't try to "bend" the extractor

you will break it. If it's a little tight use a dremel and lightly cut the the extractor where it's hitting on the groove of the case. To make it push feed there has to be a bevel on the front of the extractor. This has nothing to do with the way it ejects a case.

Richard

Don't remove all the tension. The extractor should "bend" outward about 0.004 inches when it grips a case rim.

Bill Jacobs

Thanks for everyone’s replies/help.

Just wanted to follow up with everything.

So ultimately I have thus far only chamfered the ejection port on the rear bridge. It’s flinging the cases significantly better just with that. I’ll take my time and rework the extractor at some point, it’s real close to correct and is functioning currently.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Cheers,

I figure your Mauser has the static ejector in the bolt stop. If so, then how hard you pull the bolt to the rear has some effect on how well it ejects. I’d also look at the bevel on the extractor to make sure the belt isn’t hanging up on the extractor. You should be able to tell this by just taking the bolt out of the gun and placing a case under the extractor and pull the case off the extractor as if it was ejecting. It should come off the bolt face freely. If you feel it hang up relieve the extractor where it’s hanging up. I work on very few Mausers, so take it for what it’s worth. Free advice and worth about as much.

Back