.920 Target Barrels

R

riverrat373

I'm trying to put together a Ruger 10/22 benchrest rifle and would like to buy my barrel locally. I have available to me a Butler Creek 20", fluted .920 barrel and a Shooters Ridge 20", fluted .920 barrel. Are either of these barrels good barrels. I know there are other barrels that are highly rated, but these barrels are local and fit my budget.

I have not heard good or bad about either. Green Mountain on the other hand is an excellent barrel for a 10-22 and very reasonably priced. You might check at rimfire central they have many forums dedicated to the 10-22 and may be able to help you with a review on the barrels you mentioned. They even have postal matches that you can get into to shoot against other semi auto guns over there. Lots of fun...

I didn't have much luck with the Butler Creek barrel I got for my 10/22 about 4 years ago. Maybe they've improved, but I'd suggest that you look at Green Mountain.

I also second the suggestion that you go over to Rimfire Central <http://www.rimfirecentral.com>. Lots of good information there and they sometimes have deals from Green Mountain for members of Rimfire Central.

Best,
Michael

.920 10/22 barrels

Dont do it!!!

I too built a 10/22 with the idea that it would be accurate enough for benchrest. You did say benchrest! I urge you to shoot an accurate 22 bolt gun before you plunk down your hard earned ( especially in this economy.... uhg.) cash on a heavy barrel for your 10/22. I live in the NW also, p.m. me for more advice on accuracy. Not to put down any products that you mentioned or to promote any other, but I have swayed down that path. you dont want to go there. :)
Cheers,
Jeff

Dont do it!!!

I too built a 10/22 with the idea that it would be accurate enough for benchrest. You did say benchrest! I urge you to shoot an accurate 22 bolt gun before you plunk down your hard earned ( especially in this economy.... uhg.) cash on a heavy barrel for your 10/22. I live in the NW also, p.m. me for more advice on accuracy. Not to put down any products that you mentioned or to promote any other, but I have swayed down that path. you dont want to go there. :)
Cheers,
Jeff

You speak the truth, I hope he listens. The 10/22's are cool guns but not Bench Rest unless they are specified as the only option in special rules for fun shoots. They just cannot hang with good bolts. I am not sure why guys struggle with this so much, they just need to accept them for what they are intended. I got 5 of them myself and love every one, all configured differently and fun to burn up cheap ammo.

For what it is worth, the diameter of a barrel has little or no relevance to the accuracy potential of a barrel. Some of the tiny reverse taper Benchmarks will outshoot the fattest barrels around
Don

10/22 4 Benchrest.........

DON"T!!!! I built a 10/22 benchrest rifle. Spent a lot of money and time. Benchrest stock,heavy barrel,custom 6oz. trigger,scope,etc. These 10/22's are VERY ammo speed sensitive. Bolts don't lockup square. You "can" make one shoot,but it's alot of trouble. Have shot spectacular groups, but not consistant. I eventually bought a good used "real" bench rifle....FAR,FAR superior. Go to a shoot and buy a good used bolt rifle. You won't be sorry. By the time you spend for a 10/22,you could get a "real" bench rifle. gpoldblue@yahoo.com

You could buy a .920" barrel made for a 10/22 and have the barrel tenon machined to fit a different rifle reciever... worked for my Marlin 980S. I would look at it as an already chambered and finished barrel blank that just needs to be re-fitted.

I agree. Don't think of a 10-22 as a benchrest rifle. There are good reasons that no semiautos are seen in that game. I have one 10-22 that I have modified a bit and it's great but in my view wasn't made for precision - sort of like trying to make a Mini-14 into a target gun.

Back