8208brx fails a test..but only one..will you retest ?

As an example. Jackie has stated in the past that he would have trouble tuning N133 when the humidity changed. Maybe that change in humidity caused his powder measure to not throw N133 as well as was needed for a good tune ?
With the usual acknowledgement that I don't shoot short distance benchrest, I load VV N550 quite a bit for my 1000-1200 yard rifle. It's a finer powder than most, if not to 133 standard. I toss from an old Redding measure as a start load for my scale. I can get up to .4 grain variation in throw weight from that measure depending on humidity, even though the scale is locked on the same setting day in day out.

I'm happy that my scale is reading right because I confirm zero with one of the test weights that I have made for all my standard loads.

Just a start...

Very first groups with 8208XBR....Well....:)

First off the gun is a proven Sporter, Time action, Bartlein 1/4 gain to 13.7 twist, Scope.... Well lets just say its OK..;).

Load was 8208XBR thrown at 52 and 3 clicks which yielded 30.18 to 30.25gr.
So I threw each load and trickled a few grains to get 30.50gr on the money with my Ibalance GemPro 250 balance. My bullet off a .790 jacket @ 62.0gr 8ogive, Seated bullet .005 off the jam. Wolf SRM primer.

Pretty cold here... Of course, Canadian and North Central US BR shooters are freak'n numb right now!!! )chill:)o
35deg and mid 40% humidity here during my shoot.

Took 10 rounds and went to a local range... Fired the first round off in the burm, barrel fouled.
First three shots in a nice 2-3mph East breeze (head wind to me). Last shot just disappeared in the first 2... .056:)

Next X shot 3 that showed a little diag vertical (tails were wiggling). So I just stayed on this X and watched the tails. Shot when they were "steady"... These 3 just went right in the first 3...:) 6 shot group .093:)

Just the beginning.. But boy, I'm pretty happy!

One thing I know for sure...... I can't get any lot of Dupont IMR8208 to shoot in this kind of cold...! NOTHING like this...!

Damn good start!:)

cale

Attachments

• PB070146.jpg
    PB070146.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 339
  • PB070147.jpg
    PB070147.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 357
gee i'm not so sure about this new powder...seem so unstable in the cold(thi sone) and cool (jackie's)..........

now for someone to shoot it in the warm and hot.

thanks guys

mike in co

the powder got tested today ...about 40 degrees and in a stock factory gun in 308. while not BR results they were good enough for more buyers....shooting palma 155's moly ,best group was around .2 and got bigger as he went up.
it was not me, it was a bolt gun.( the guy i sold the other 8lb'r to)
thrown charges.
i do plan on trying it in my 308 win br.
mike in co

Back