8208 info

I've shot it a fair amount in the ppc. It does shoot well; what I mean by that is it will tune a 6ppc as you would think it should, and it will shoot small, but Francis is right, it is dirty. I hold it back for a backup powder.

Francis, Would you please elaborate on your statement that this powder is not really 8208? I am curious as to the true origin of this powder. Thank you.

my guess is he is basing the comment on date of the powder. the original was viet nam era pulldown. the later stuff does not burn the same.

I have used that powder since released. Had some success.
- I don’t think it is dirty. I think it has a lot of graphite.
- Been told by Murdica and Ulrich it is early 80’s Vihta Vouri 132ish made for Europe NATO.
- my opinion, does not like a lot of pressure.

I've still got a couple 8lb'ers of that exact IMR 8208 lot #AAC 122910. The term 'St Louis Pulldown' is likely because Ron Hoehn sold a bunch of it from his business at the St. Louis range. I bought a case of it from him when I was down there. A friend of mine and I both tried it in our 6 PPC's and it shot as well as I could tune.....though my experience is pretty limited with it. It didn't seem to be any 'dirtier' than anything else I tried....N133, H322, 2015, etc. Now that I've got a good 6PPC again, I'll revisit it.

Good shootin' -Al

Last edited:
Back