80 gr HPFB..

No it's an 80 gr boattail made on the Dominator bullet die with a .900 jacket. Gregg King won the last St Louis match with them.

Bart

I'll be calling and give them a try. If I may, I think there may be a niche for someone to make a FB version. The Bergers shot great and there are a blue million Savages with a 12 twist barrel out there. Not to mention crazy people like me that wants to use them in a 6 Grendel and shoot UBR score with it/them. I'm gonna use a 12 twist and throat it so it'll work with 68-80 grainers. You might call it "hedging my bet" a little, as I honestly think that it'll be competitive with 68's etc but just in case I'm wrong, and the extra case capacity vs a ppc make it more suited to a bit heavier bullet...I'll use the 80's. Actually..I'll just use what works best. It's so close, that I think it'll be very much like a ppc but without a long drop tube and tedious pour to get upper node charges of 133 in the case.

No it's an 80 gr boattail made on the Dominator bullet die with a .900 jacket. Gregg King won the last St Louis match with them.

Bart

I saw the St Louis match report. I'm still just getting my Dasher going, and I can't resist trying some of those.

Didn't Ferris Pindell try an 80 gr in the PPC? Seem to remember a Precision Shooting article on it from way back. I may be wrong, but let me see if I can dig it up. Regardless, the heavier bullet, 1:12" twist, and improved 6-Grendel case sounds intriguing.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

80 gr hpfb

I was thinking of building the same thing mike. someone just beat me to the reamer that was on kiffs site.

I think the 12 is a good choice. If I do i'll set up my dies for a flat base 8 ogive or 10 ogive

I'll have to check the stability on JBM balistics to see what twist would be best.

80 gr HPFB

I check out stability . Here's what i found
2,800 fps 1 /11 twist 1.500 well into the green
1 12 twist 1.261 yellow.
1 13 twist 1.074 in the yellow.
From what i can see the 12 should work in higher temps and in cooler temps the 11 works better.
PLay with it yourself to decide JBM ballistics stability

I check out stability . Here's what i found
2,800 fps 1 /11 twist 1.500 well into the green
1 12 twist 1.261 yellow.
1 13 twist 1.074 in the yellow.
From what i can see the 12 should work in higher temps and in cooler temps the 11 works better.
PLay with it yourself to decide JBM ballistics stability

2,800fps? I'm thinking more along 3,300 fps lines. I may be out to lunch with thinking that, but I think it's feasible that it'll shoot the 80's at the same speed as a ppc shoots 68's...or very close.

edit, to say that may be a bit optimistic after looking at 6br data..but 3,200 may be more reasonable

Last edited:
80 gf HPFB

I know you have been playing with that case quite a bit in 30 caliber.

I've seen a 6mm grendel reamer on kiff site , not long ago. When you go up in bullet weight you must also go up in jacket length.

A flat base 6mm at .900 has a good length bearing surface , Many make the bullet with a BT to get rid of some of it.
I would have to try a few different shapes of the point. I will try both if I get a chance in the future As I said I have 8 ogive point and a 10.
I have made bullets up to 105 gr using the 1.150 with a Bt for long range Even with a BT they seem quite long,

I then tried jackets in the 90 gr weights on a 8 ogive , With and without a BT They still seem quite log,
I'll probably make some on thee 10 ogive next tie to see whats working best.

I have played with a 40 degree 6 br way back when .
I'm sure the case capacity would be close.

I see you point on the PPC and the VV powder charges, I've seen guys with 18 inch drop tubes trying to get enough in the case.
I see what you mean on case capacity. I'll be watching and waiting to see how you make out on this.

Last edited:
I know you have been playing with that case quite a bit in 30 caliber.

I've seen a 6mm grendel reamer on kiff site , not long ago. When you go up in bullet weight you must also go up in jacket length.

A flat base 6mm at .900 has a good length bearing surface , Many make the bullet with a BT to get rid of some of it.
I would have to try a few different shapes of the point. I will try both if I get a chance in the future As I said I have 8 ogive point and a 10.
I have made bullets up to 105 gr using the 1.150 with a Bt for long range Even with a BT they seem quite long,

I then tried jackets in the 90 gr weights on a 8 ogive , With and without a BT They still seem quite log,
I'll probably make some on thee 10 ogive next tie to see whats working best.

I have played with a 40 degree 6 br way back when .
I'm sure the case capacity would be close.

I see you point on the PPC and the VV powder charges, I've seen guys with 18 inch drop tubes trying to get enough in the case.
I see what you mean on case capacity. I'll be watching and waiting to see how you make out on this.
It may not shoot in a bucket, but it's equivalent to a PPC with the shoulder moved forward a tad over 1/16". The brass is already formed, other than necking down and doing a light clean up cut. Small primers, small flash holes, Lapua brass...etc. How bad can it be? I'm not sure how the reamer you saw on his site was spec'd compared to mine. Do you know? It'd be nice to compare the two prints.

You're right about bearing surface. I'm thinking the added capacity may make up for it. It may not.

Last edited:
2,800fps? I'm thinking more along 3,300 fps lines. I may be out to lunch with thinking that, but I think it's feasible that it'll shoot the 80's at the same speed as a ppc shoots 68's...or very close.

edit, to say that may be a bit optimistic after looking at 6br data..but 3,200 may be more reasonable

Mike,

I've ran the 80gr bts a bit over 3200 with excellent accuracy in the Grinch. Getting 3300 I think will be a stretch. It will get to 3300 but it's rough on cases. The 12 twist barrels have shot great from 30 degrees to 98. So stability isn't an issue.

Bart

80 gr HPFB

I'm not sure about the specs on that reamer. I saw it on the specials page , Thought about it a bit .
when I went back to check again it was gone.
I like your specs only I like a slightly small neck.

I am waiting for a reamer for the 6br imp. with a .o6o free bore to try the 80's in i think 3300 is doable in a 12 twist if they will shoot up there. The Br imp with the 105 in a 8 twist is good producing mid zero groups and as small as .027. It is very accurate and with velocity around 2900 in a 24" barrel....... jim

80 gr HPFB

I think there,s a longer version of the PPC already tried.

The Borden BPC if I remember correctly.

If I were going to improve a case like the ppc to hold more powder i would just chamber the barrel a little deeper and see what happens. If it works out then,

Have the reamer made .

I'm sure the developer,s have had something longer to start with. I also believe that what they were really looking for was the 22 caliber.

So case length is more then likely developed for 22 PPC .

You guys have me thinking now. again how about a PPC chamber that's a bit fatter. Mainly in the body area {remove some of the taper on the body] of the ppc case?

That should give the extra powder capacity also.{not sure of the specs on The BPC} If the goal is just to slightly increase Powder capacity.

Back