7wsm vs 6x47L

Alan,

I didn't understand it either, but that is how it worked out. Like I said before the powders were from medium to slow burning and I used 210 primers. The bore scopes did not lie to me.
And I had very high hopes for the case using a 7mm bullet. The 300WSM does not seem to wear a barrel out very fast at all.
The 7mm Rem Mag gets about 1100 to 1200 rounds from my experience and a few others that I spoke with.

Danny

Maybe 7mmRSAUM would be better? I have heard of 1600 rnds thru a barrel and nearly the speed of the WSM. This is just speculation on my part, cause i shoot 300wm.

I know that Steve Ikeda, a benchrest shooter, also shoots a 7 SAUM in F-Class. He has particiapted in two or three F-Class comps here in Las Vegas. He usually runs his Berger 180s at speeds faster than I ran my 7WSM.

I'm a bit skeptical about a 7W.M. getting significantly better barrel life than the WSM, as the WM case holds around 5 grain more powder - then again, neck length and shoulder angles can make a difference.

Jeffvn

Or, gee, a 280 Ackley Improved. Brass from anyone who offers .30/06, 280, or .270 cases. Capacity just a bit greater than the 700 RSAUM. Even works in a short action as a single shot if you don't have to eject loaded rounds. Been around long enough to have a track record, which is pretty good.

But, of course, not new. No mysterious technical edge that is going to let you beat everyone just by your savvy choice in a chambering.

...I didn't understand it either, but that is how it worked out. Like I said before the powders were from medium to slow burning and I used 210 primers...
Danny,

One of the powders you mentioned was N165. I remember reading about some testing done by Henry Childs and he found that N165 was the coolest burning of the many common powders in the test (which included some slower ones). I'm wondering, did your 7mm Rem Mag get more than its share of N165? I have started using N165 in my 6.5-284 on the strength of Henry's results, but its early days, and I can't yet say whether barrel life is better (or should I say less bad:() than the H4831SC I had been using.

Alan

Alan & everyone else,

All I know that one Lilja and one Spencer barrel went completely south with the amount of rounds I stated.
The first barrel had N165, N560, H4831, H1000 and Retumbo, used in it.

The 7mm Rem Mag, on the first barrel used about 64 grains of N165, pushing the 180 about 2950 fps and shot great up to about 1200 rounds. Then I shot another 200 or so, trying to figure out why it was not shooting. I really began to believe that it was me and not the gun. Until I shot another in 300 Win and put 9 shots in one hole at 200.
The 7mm Rem has another barrel on it now, a little tighter than the first, using only 62 grain of N165. I am curious as to when it will quit shooting. And the 7mm Rem HG uses H4831/ 65 gr, and I will see when it stops shooting also.
I don't get to shoot them much as I am currently shooting 30 cals, but a lady freind that comes to the matches with sometimes shoots them and I keep up to date records on them. So when they give out in a couple of years, I will let y'all know.

Danny

... I don't get to shoot them much as I am currently shooting 30 cals, but a lady freind that comes to the matches with sometimes shoots them...

Well that's one way of killing the conversation - telling a 6.5mm shooter that 7mm is a lady's calibre :eek:! Hmmm, next project 8mm... :D

Alan,

Funny that you should say that. I have never gotten the urge to play with any 6.5, though my daughter once wanted to play, but she found out to produce grandchildren instead. I was going to going to build her a 264 Win Mag. Which I have since learned is a barrel burner also.
But one day, going to the range at Quantico, the young Marine stationed as a sentry at the check point getting on base, after I told where and why I was there, asked " 6.5?", and I replied " Hell no, 300 magnums, 6.5 is a woman's gun," he lost his grin, saluted & said have a good day SIR!
I'm not sure he appreciated the joke.

On the other side, the lady freind, finished second for the six match agg for score in LG with the 7mm Rem Mag, I forget where she ended up in group, not bad for someone in their first full season.
Of course I was coachin':rolleyes:

Danny

Danny,

Apart from a couple of WSMs, the only .30 cal magnum I've seen in F-Class was a .30 Win Mag HS Precision (no muzzle brake, about 13lbs) at our National Championships. On the second day of the 3 day shoot he brought a towel as shoulder padding. On the third day he brought two towels :D.

Alan

Alan

Sometimes you have to pay to play:D

But how well did he do?

Danny

Lynn

Yes, the original 7mm Rem Mag barrel was a Lilja. It now has a Benchmark barrel on it that I got awhile back. And it is a very tight one, as I had to back the load off 2 grains. The old load chrono'd well over 3000 fps. Once I got it back to about 2950, it started shooting one hole at 150 yards. If it lasts longer, I will not complain.

Danny

Back