7-338Lapua????

S

smokin99

New here but not to shooting, I shoot in tactical LR stuff in the DIRT.... :D

Anyways Im trying to find some info on the 7-338Lapua and thought I would check with you guys and see if anyone has any info on it! I will be shooting the 180gr VLDs and after running the program Ive come to find out that this setup going 3100fps will drift less than my 338 shooting 300gr SMKs going 2800fps! Kinda hard to believe so I thought I would build one and the Reamer is on order and should be here in 2 more weeks. Gun will be built on a Stiller Tac338 with a Lijia 28" barrel, Jewel, and Manners stock! Any info on the 7-338Lapua would be much appreciated!!

Thanks again
Chris

Wow Chris... I would be surprised to find much about that cartridge. All I know is it is considerably overbore and the slowest of powders with a Federal 215 primer would be recommended.

Hey thanks for the info guys,,, I heard it was shot in benchrest competions and knew you guys would know! Might be a hell of a barrel smoker, but no turning back now! :D

Thanks again Ill give him a call!

Chris,
You may also contact Kevin Rayhill at Stockade gunstocks. He has a shortened version called the Rayhill Rocket. I think the standard case necked down is way too overbore.
If you are only going to get 3100 you know you can get 3000fps out of a 7mm RSAUM with a 180 Berger, I didn't believe it either until I tried it myself.
I think you may have problems with the Bergers making it to the target with the full capacity Lapua case also.

James

Heres my thinking,,,,,
7mmUltra/338Edge (both off the 300Ultra Case) has more case capacity than the 338Lapua but the Lapua is way better brass than Rem. I had a 338Edge and with a 31" tube on a Stiller action and was not impressed with Rem brass, I really want to shoot the 180gr VLDs in a 7mm and thought instead of building a 7Ultra with crap brass I could build a 7-338Lapua with alittle less case capacity and really good brass! So to me the 7-338Lapua with a little less case capacity than a 7Ultra should be the ticket!!! Im I not thinking about the right??? Seriously what do you guys think????

I shoot a 7mm Lazzeroni but with the 120gr Lazerheads.....strictly used for long range doe hunting.

This case might be another option to consider. FWIW

pf
<><

This is just from research on the net nothing I have personally done the 338Lapua has a case capacity of 114gr and the 300Ultra has a case capacity of 112gr, so by necking the 300Ultra up to a 338 to be even with the 338Lapua the case capacity might be the same or alittle more. So neck them both down to a 7mm and the Lapua should have around the same case capacity or alittle less than the 7Ultra but with good brass! :D All else Im out $150 for the Reamer that someone will buy and being called NUTS on the net.....LMAO :D

Thanks to all again
Chris

New here but not to shooting, I shoot in tactical LR stuff in the DIRT.... :D

Anyways Im trying to find some info on the 7-338Lapua and thought I would check with you guys and see if anyone has any info on it! I will be shooting the 180gr VLDs and after running the program Ive come to find out that this setup going 3100fps will drift less than my 338 shooting 300gr SMKs going 2800fps! Kinda hard to believe so I thought I would build one and the Reamer is on order and should be here in 2 more weeks. Gun will be built on a Stiller Tac338 with a Lijia 28" barrel, Jewel, and Manners stock! Any info on the 7-338Lapua would be much appreciated!!

Thanks again
Chris

Hi Chris,
there´s a 7mm-.338Lapua, it´s named 7mmKM and was designed by a former Heckler&Koch Technician. May have a look at QUICK-LOAD, you´ll find it there.

Best
2RECON

I am building a 7/338 Norma Magnum Ithey call it the 7 Holy Grail) - It's not done yet, but is due for delivery in and around end of April, first of May. It has about 108 grains of H2O capacity. the 338 Norma Mag is similar in capacity to teh 338LM, but is shorter in length and has taken some of the body taper out of the case.

I'm planning to run the 189 Cauterucio's to about 3,300 fps. Bob says that they can take it without coming apart; we'll see. :)

JefVN

Chris

I'm building a couple of 7 Lapua Imp for people as soon as I know anything I'll let you know. I would get in touch with Cauterucio's and get some bullets on order and don't forget the Sierra 175's They have shot very well for me in the past and they'll stay together. Just dawned on me I have a 7/338 reamer out here and a rifle also. It's one a Ruger #1. Haven't shot it yet. Waiting for good weather. I'll be in touch.

Dave

Like they say you only go by here one time,I built a 7mm 416 Rigby And I love it 17 moa at 1000 yds Pushes 162 Hor.bthp up to 3675 but the best groups come at 3500 on the nose::

Thanks to all that replied, Reamer should be here today from PTG and stock should be here in less than 10 weeks, Manners... Thanks again and Ill post some info when I get it up and running.

A guy was shooting one of those TRG 338 Lapua at Garland Public Range. He had a huge silencer on it. Very quiet and really calmed the recoil. I think a rig like that would run about $10k.

Back