7. 08 to .284 win.

Doug Casner

Got a question for you gunsmiths out there. What kind of 7.08 rifle could you ream the chamber to .284 win. in and the magazine would work? Got a lever and auto action .284 would like to get a bolt. Browning used to make a bolt action but its hard to find a used one. You think a model 7 Remington would work? I can buy one rifle a year and keep peace in the family so it will be a while. That .284 is quite a bit fatter than .308. Thanks,Doug

do not think you are in the same classes.
the 284 is a fat large bolt face round.
Got a question for you gunsmiths out there. What kind of 7.08 rifle could you ream the chamber to .284 win. in and the magazine would work? Got a lever and auto action .284 would like to get a bolt. Browning used to make a bolt action but its hard to find a used one. You think a model 7 Remington would work? I can buy one rifle a year and keep peace in the family so it will be a while. That .284 is quite a bit fatter than .308. Thanks,Doug

The 284 is a rebated rim cartridge and, shares the same bolt face as the 7-08 but does have a fatter case body and same SAAMI max COL.. You should have no trouble re-chambering a 708 to 284 but, the feeding? That may or may not be a problem

I was told by the smith that built my 6.5-284 ( same length as 284 ) to use a long action or any advantage of going to the larger case would be lost cause the bullet would have to go way deep to fit in a short action. I think a model 7 is shorter than a short action.

Yea, I think the model 7 is a smaller action. Need a 700. Trying to figure a short ,light rifle for a cripple. Me, with some punch. Browning made one called a micro with a 20 in. barrel. I ll bet that dude would talk to you. I was thinking the magazine might be the problem. I don't want a single shot. Thanks for the comebacks guys, Doug

The 284 is best suited for a long action, even a short 700 has too short a magazine box. The 7-08 packs a pretty good punch for medium sized game, the 284 would be better if longer shots at elk sized game are on the menu. You could wildcat (shorten) the 284 to make it fit in the short action, but the gains over the 7-08 would probably be minimal. The short mags max out the potential in the smaller actions, but if a short barrel is the plan (20"), you won't gain much over standard rounds.

I have a Mdl 7 Adl in 6-284 (originaly in 260). Need to clean up/polish the feed lips, and it wouldn't hurt to do a little work on the follower too. 2 round mag capacity.

Thanks guys, Its just a thought now but an interesting thought. I know there are short mags on the market that will beat it but I like the old hot rods. Something about an old cartridge developed in the early 60s that appeals to me. Id like to try a bolt action so I could load a little hotter. Tried some a grain under max with H414 in my 100 and it was way too hot. ruined the cases pushed the primers out backwards, hd to drive them out with a hammer and rod. Went 3 grs. under max and they worked fine. That's not what I need to do, blow up one of my old rifles. Learned the hard way , like usual, start way under max. Doug

Sounds like you want a 7mm and since a long action would be better for the 284 Win, why not get a 280 Rem. The 280 is going to come in a long action and the case capacity is slightly more than the 284. The 280 Rem and 284 Win are ballistic twins.

Last edited:
Back