6x47lapua

These pics were actually taken to show that the necks ALWAYS offset to one side.

First is a 6.5 case

Second is a case which has been only 1/2 necked which shows the offset

Third is necked clear down

Fourth is a 6BR case for comparison

If your "crinkling" is much worse than this, something is wrong. How do yours compare?

al

Attachments

• 423822195605_0_ALB.jpg
    423822195605_0_ALB.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 283
  • 763042195605_0_ALB.jpg
    763042195605_0_ALB.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 264
Al,

The partially sized case and the fully sized case look like they have a slightly flared, "bugle" mouth. What do you think is the cause of this?
My theory is that the mouth of the case becomes work hardened when the brass is tumbled after all forming processes have been completed. The "annealing" is not really a true anneal but a "stress relieve" so it does not eliminate the work hardened zone.

Jay, Idaho

I have never fired 600 or 1000 yard BR so I don't have anything to add.
But this is the place to get info on that stuff.
Those guys over at the 1000 yard board don't know any thing about 1000 yard shooting so try and avoid that board for info on 1000 yard shooting.

Ted....not a handle.

Al

Yea, mine have the same look at the top of the neck as yours and this is with new brass. I tried triming off .015 before sizing, which made no difference.

Al,

The partially sized case and the fully sized case look like they have a slightly flared, "bugle" mouth. What do you think is the cause of this?
My theory is that the mouth of the case becomes work hardened when the brass is tumbled after all forming processes have been completed. The "annealing" is not really a true anneal but a "stress relieve" so it does not eliminate the work hardened zone.

Jay, Idaho

Is this not caused by the mandrel in the die set a little too long?

Al: what neck size is your reamer?

Early in the thread there was a question on powder - I am using Reloader 19 behind a 105 berger - easily breaks 3100+, but I shoot dots there.

I tried H4350 - got better velocity, but did not group as well

Try them both in your gun.

I think the RE17 may be a little fast for the 105-107 bullets. I have some on order to try with 85 gr varmint bullets.

Love the 6X47.

I have never fired 600 or 1000 yard BR so I don't have anything to add.
But this is the place to get info on that stuff.
Those guys over at the 1000 yard board don't know any thing about 1000 yard shooting so try and avoid that board for info on 1000 yard shooting.

Ted....not a handle.

So Ted, (hecksf)

A new guy comes into BRC and asks a question about the facility of a round which *you* feel is unfit for this board. HE'S probably never fired 600-1000yd BR either so he comes to the best shooting board on the planet in search of the appropriate folks..... IMO he finds them. I resent the implication that the new poster purposely came over HERE just to pee in Teds cheerios and everybody else lined up around the bowl.

Dude's building on a Panda with top components....

THIS BOARD says "Centerfire Benchrest"........

Well I say WELCOME ABOARD Mr thehippy77 and don't let the grouches scare you off. You WILL NOT meet grumpy people at matches and we all hope someday to see you there :)

al (oops :eek:)

Alinwa (OOOPS! )

Al .......not a handle........ Matson in Washington State. SW Washington State matter of fact, little town of Yacolt. Call with questions @ (360) 904 6941

DON'T call if you're grumpy :D

Al,

Jay, Idaho

That's Good Thinkin' right thar Jay!

I'd say that's quite possibly the problem. I've ordered my latest reamer to be short enough that I can trim just a little BEFORE necking down, then finish it later after fireforming. My thought was actually to run my little 60degree chamfer tool inside and out to ease the start into the die but your clarification will probably result in me being a little more aggressive this first step :) I'd read this to mean that the casemouth was collapsing a little from end pressure before slipping into the die, you've given me another (better IMO) reason.

BTW, the only reason that the fully necked one shows slightly less "bugle" is because I'd dragged a lengthened expander mandrel back thru it. I kinda "fixed it" at the expense of changing the crush fit datum. Thanks to you I think now that I can solve both problems at once while maintaining a consistent crush.

Following are some more pics.

The first one again shows the offset, indicated by the flared area where my freshly ground cutter stopped. I grind my neckturners to cut the flare into the shoulder, up the shoulder, and then STOP CUTTING. In this case I sectioned because my "flared cut" at the n/s junction was IMO too deep, my cutter angle is too divergent from the existing angle of the brass.

The closeup shows the resultant step. I've opted to better match the angle with this cutter, it's "OK" but not great.

The last two pix show how the un-trimmed casemouths are all cattywampus, tilted as much as .015 whether fired or unfired. In fact firing makes the tilt worse.

If I subscribed to Turbulence Point Theory I'd be all worried about eccentric swirl patterns :D

LOL

al

Attachments

• 397320516605_0_ALB.jpg
    397320516605_0_ALB.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 233
  • 467701516605_0_ALB.jpg
    467701516605_0_ALB.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 856944825605_0_ALB.jpg
    856944825605_0_ALB.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 883064825605_0_ALB.jpg
    883064825605_0_ALB.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 200
Yea, mine have the same look at the top of the neck as yours and this is with new brass. I tried triming off .015 before sizing, which made no difference.

So I'm going to try a little trim AND a chamfer and see if this helps :)

al

Does the 6/47 Lapua offer any advantage over the 6.5/47 Lapua?????

I dunno :)

Here's a great article on just that subject...... written about a truly World Class competitor. http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek079.html

I did it because I've got some magic 108gr 6MM bullets, because I've spent lots of time with the 6BR, because I can interchange reamers/dies with the 6BR and because I can push cheap little varmint bullets to ungawdly velocities.

And because I'm bound and determined to get the 115's to shoot, and because I feel that overall there's a better selection of 6MM bullets AND because even at 17lb the 6mm boots the living bejeebers out of my bag setup. I'd probably fight the 6.5 even more........

al

thank you Al

For all the info and help. There are so many good rounds out there it can be tuff to find the one that best fits you plan. thanks again.

Russ

I shot a 6.5X47 Lapua in 1000yd. BR last season, just couldn't make it work. The goal is to find something to beat those guys with those 6mm Dashers (LOL). However in the case of those Dakota guys, it might have something to do with the drivers.

6x47L

Had a 6AI but got tired of fire forming so was looking for something with as much velocity, inherently accurate but didn't want a barrel burner.Talked to a lot of people (and Gunsmiths) on this and 6br website and read a lot and came to 6x47 L. And I couldn't be happier with it. I wanted a 800 yd Dog/Hog rifle and this fills the bill without fire forming and burning thru barrels. I had mine made with a Krieger 1-10 TW because I wanted to shoot lighter bullets also. Load I setteled on was 88 Berger at 3400 FPS and it shoots in the .2's at 300yds. It is a killing machine!
I remember when I started varmint hunting 35 years ago, if you made a 300 yd shot it something to brag about, with this gun it is a chip shot!!

Love the 6x47L!!

Stosh

6ai

I have two of them my self. The 6x47lapua will be a replacement for one of them. That I was using for 100-500yard varmint matches. And thanks again for all the help and support.

6.5x47

I used the 6.5x47 last year, shooting mid/long range prone and was REALLY impressed.

It is an excellent choice for 1000yd shooting, putting up numbers and performance almost equal to the 6.5-284's I had used for years before it.

After shooting the 6.5-284 (using numerous barrels), it was my experience that accuracy was best around 2950fps (with 140 grain bullets). You can get more from the cartridge, but accuracy always suffered. Barrrel life was always bad, erosion was diffficult to chase with seating depths that relied on any contact.

The load development I did with the 6.5x47 was based on getting the most from a 140grain bullet (I currently use Berger 140's). Using 39.5gr N150 gives me 2890fps from a 30" Krieger barrel with outstanding numbers and accuracy. Erosion was checked after 1000 rounds and was minimal - very similar to my .308 Palma rifle. I expect barrel life to be in the 4 / 5k range.

I settled on the Berger 140 after running the numbers considering wind drift - something in the 130 grain range would seem to be a better choice, but the loss of BC does not make up for the additional velocity.

Recoil is very light (MUCH more mild than the .308) and is just a pleasure to shoot long strings with.

Long range accuracy (especially elevation) was just great - very predictable drift and good X counts.

Hope this helps,

Kev

I have two 6x47L's one is a bench rifle and the other is a tactical rifle and of all the rifles I've owned or rechambered( except 6ppc and 6br) the 6x47's are the most accurate and usable for long range work.

I like it much better than the last chambering before it which was 6.5-284.

With the tactical rifle out to 800 yards it is a common occurrence for splats to be touching in calm conditions.

Can't say enough about this cartridge.it is my favorite now.

Steve

I,m quarter way through neck turning 200 6x47 cases and noticed a lot of the case mouths were on an angle or as Alinwa desribed the tecnical terminoligy as Catywumpus, some of the catywumpusness was realy noticable , probably 9/10 on the catywumpus scale. I just hope that the cases which have the most catywumpusity come out longer after firing so I dont have to trim too much.

As for the bell on the case month, I found they all had that when I necked them down, but as my die squeezed them down too much, I had to run an expander back through them and the bell disappeared.
I have a bottle of N165 powder with nothing to use it in, has anyone had success with N165 in the 6x47 shooting 105 Bergers?

Back