6x47lapua

T

thehippy77

I am building a new br rig Rt/Lf panda 28'' 8twist krieger tracker stock any thought on 6x47l

I truly think that its the "Next Big Thing" for 600-1000yd shooting. I just finished loading up 156rds tonight, 108gr bullets at 3100fps is a gentle load for my rifle and it shoots dots when I have my bags right. It's a violent little round, HARD to get my bags to hold up right. But I'm using a converted short range HV BR stock for my current setup. It's not ideal.

I'll heartily endorse your choice of the Tracker (hopefully the long one) because IMO it takes every bit of weight spread you can get, something like the Tracker or Tooley's MBR is very useful. Use your whole 17lb wisely to tame the beast. I'll suggest that you leave some room for rearward weighting...... but I don't know much yet. I've got maybe 750rds through my first 6X47L rifle and two more barrels in the works.

I've been doodling with 6BR's for 10-12yrs, five reamers and a bunch of barrels, and this 6X47L is just perfectly doing what I feel it should. It's acting like a 6BR on steroids. Easy 200-300fps gain without beating the brass to death. It's such a close match to the 6BR that I use the same seating die. In fact my first chamber, the one I'm currently shooting, is actually cut with my "perfect" 6BR reamer.

This much I can tell you, for myself it's brought me back to where I started, with the .243AI. I fought the .243AI for many years and many barrels and reamers and dies.......... I never could get the .243AI to do what I wanted and ended up switching everything to 6BR. I've got several barrels that started as .243AI's and got cut off and rechambered to 6BR and were MUCH more accurate as 6BR even though two of them were on their last legs. One of them had over 2400rds as a .243AI and I cut it to 6BR to use as a fireform barrel. It STILL shoots better than it did as a .243. I tell you this only to illustrate the difference, so far the 6X47L is acting just like a juiced up BR.....The 6X47L just works. And it's wicked easy.

I feel that it's VITALLY important that you have your barrels chambered 6 thou SHORT of what many are currently using......... set it short so that when you neck down you'll actually "bump" or reset the shoulder for a crush-fit for fireforming. If you don't and you set your fireform shoulders in the neck, make sure that your reamer is properly cut to avoid excessive gap-space. When necking these things down they have a tendency to booger up at the end which makes one want to trim back an extra 15-20thou...... you need to have your neck cut short enough to accommodate this.

It's vital that you understand all of the parameters so that you minimize gap-space but DO NOT end up crimping the end of your neck onto the bullet. You have to strike the right balance between overall case length and overall chamber length. The 6X47L is still completely experimental, no standardization as of yet.

If you just have someone chamber you up using their reamer them make sure that you get a copy of their reamer print. In fact I'd ask for an actual chamber cast, Cerro-Safe is cheap and any good 'smith should supply you with a cast for reasonable cost.

If you don't fully understand the parameters then I advise you to have your BENCHREST Gunsmith also supply you with your first rounds of properly sized and formed brass....... keep them for reference when you make up your own.

If you're actually building it yourself then of course you're qualified to set all of these parameters to your own satisfaction.

al

Al
What powder are you using for your 6x47L? I have been trying Re17 and only getting 3050fps with a 30in. barrel. 107 gr. bullet.
Thanks

Glenn B.

Glenn,

H4350.

Note that this is with a fitted FL setup just like a PPC. Even this "mild" load is clear out of any book.

When I say "mild" I mean that I expect my brass to last forever, but it's no cupcake......if I run up to 3200fps I run the risk of loosening a primer pocket if a round gets hot and 3245 is my MAX on a given day, loading for conditions over the chronograph. One false move and you'll wreck your brass at this vel.

The block of 156rds that I'm shooting has all been fired twice at 3200fps and it's well seasoned but I'll just keep on with the 3100fps load as this is where I found my accuracy.

al

Hippy

Are you the same hippy that asked for my reamer print? I was down in the reloading room today and turned up your info..... I'd tried to get a hold of you several times thru PM and here. Did you ever get what you wanted?

al

alinwa

It's not me. Mark Penrod will be doing the work. If I brought a lathe home my wife would kill me. wish I could do the work my self.

It's not me. Mark Penrod will be doing the work. If I brought a lathe home my wife would kill me. wish I could do the work my self.

Ok,

I went and checked my old PM's and the other hippy goes by hippy1966.

11yrs off, me :)

sorry

al

Just tell the wife that's its a new Top-Of-The-Line food processor, mixer. You might have to clean up some mashed potato's and such but she finally get tired of it....then it's all yours...because you found another use for it. Do not try this with a Mill or you'll never get time on it....does to good a job on potato's, cake mix, and such.

Hovis

6dasher

Any one know water cap off 6dasher vs 6x47lupua. One more thing opinion on best br round out to 600y. I have all the parts shown above. The round i wanted is having supply trouble to the tune of three dollar a piece brass.

Al

I bought a Forster FL 6-6.5X47 die and sized a few pieces if brass. Right away I noticed that the top of the necks looked crinkled. What's going on there.
Jerry

I bought a Forster FL 6-6.5X47 die and sized a few pieces if brass. Right away I noticed that the top of the necks looked crinkled. What's going on there.
Jerry

Please define "crinkled".

Is it uneven?

or ringed?

or flared?

or does it show lengthwise striations like pleats or flutes? (to me, this would be crinkled)

al

necks

They all look like they were to long for the die and wrinkled right under the top of the neck, like a ring.

Now lets not kid ourselves too much. Uness you are looking for novalty, just get a .243. :D

Now lets not kid ourselves too much. Uness you are looking for novalty, just get a .243. :D

The 6X47L will eat the .243 or even the .243AI for lunch...... chew it up, swallow it, digest it and PASS it........ and not even break sweat.

AND use considerably less powder

AND produce at least 100 fps MORE velocity

AND shoot 5-shot groups which fit inside the .243's 3-shot groups.

Any questions???

:D

al

Back