6PPC PTG reamer - what die to use?

H

HopeToBe

I have got my hands on a used 6PPC reamer which is marked by 10/05. What does these numbers mean?

Is there any way to use these numbers to order a correct Harrels F/L die?

Those numbers are the date it was made. No relation to the dimensions of the reamer. It is difficult buying a used reamer without the print for it.

Joe Hynes

I have got my hands on a used 6PPC reamer which is marked by 10/05. What does these numbers mean?

Is there any way to use these numbers to order a correct Harrels F/L die?

Look closely, there may be other clues.

You have several options;

1) Cut a chamber and make a cast of it to measure or
2) Put the reamer on an optical comparator or
3) Call PTG and see if one of the phone girls can identify it by the date
4) Cut a for real chamber and fire a few cases to send to Lynwood Harrel or whoever
5) Forever wonder what it is.

You will need to measure, at the very least, the body diameter at the chamber base, the body diameter at the body/shoulder intersection, the neck diameter and length, the freebore diameter and length.

Is there any way to use these numbers to order a correct Harrell's F/L die?

It doesn't make any difference which reamer was used. You send Harrell's three fired cases and Lynwood will select the proper 6PPC F/L Bushing Die for you.

The only thing I'd be suspicious of at this point was whether or not the reamer had reamed 10 or 10,000 barrels. You really don't want to own a worn out reamer. For $138 from PT&G you can own a new one. Compared to the cost of all your other equipment it's only a fraction of the total. :)

Won't sharpening a worn down reamer degrade the already reduced dimensions of the original even more? :confused:

I have often thought about this and if the reamer was infact sharpened then it was used to chamber a barrel,the fired cases send to have dies made,whats the difference,why would that be unsatisfactory.

If a rifle chamber reamer (in most cases) is reground properly, the deminsions should not change. The reason is most rifle chamber reamers have body taper. Thus, when recutting the leading edge of the throat and the deminsions back to the shoulder, you are in fact setting back the reamer and working with larger demisions in which you grind the chamber part to. Hope I made sense of that as it is easier to show than to explain. When dealing with straight wall chambers, yes, you will lose diameter. In a lot of instances, if your reamer is ground to small originally or it is just worn, when regrinding it and setting it back, you can actually pick up a thousand or two on diameter if you want, it just depends.

Hovis

Just call and I will send you a print, also John Whidden makes his dies to our PPC prints whether its one of the tight base like Tony' s or the regular PPC of Docs, John will make it . Also don't forget Wayne Campbell, JLC precision they with Bob Green all make great dies . Thanks Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
David, could you provide me with you e-mail and I could send you me details. I am very much interesting in a print of this.

Having fired some brass 3-4 times with neck sizing only I have an idea on the dimensions of the reamer but to get the exact print would be perfect.

My email is dave@kifftool.com or better just call me @ 541-826-5808 . I have the prints in my office up here in the custom shop . We get PPC orders every day so the prints are close by. Thanks Dave

David, could you provide me with you e-mail and I could send you me details. I am very much interesting in a print of this.

Having fired some brass 3-4 times with neck sizing only I have an idea on the dimensions of the reamer but to get the exact print would be perfect.

HopeToBe: If you WantToBe, throw that neck sizing die away, give it to a competitor you want to beat on a regular basis, or put it in a bottom drawer to be forgotten about forever.

If you still intend to purchase a F/L die from Harrell's, give them a call first. They'll tell you, in what condition they want the cases, before mailing to them.

Back