6PPC: Fireformed, Annealed...starting load development....component shortage

nksmfamjp

OK, I have a light varmint rifle in 6PPC. I have 50 fireformed brass that have been annealed after forming.

I have VARGET, H322, H4895, CFE223....also CCI 400 and CCI 450 primers....also Barts 68gr, Berger 68gr, Berger 64gr bullets.

Any tips where to start component=wise? I’m thinking get close to a load with the Barts, CCI450 and CFE223. Then try substituting powder. I’m thinking powder charge needs to be my first variable, then seating depth, then neck tension, then powder, then try other bullets.

That said, are one of the other powders a better starting point? Are CCI 400’s a better starting point?

With what you have.....

OK, I have a light varmint rifle in 6PPC. I have 50 fireformed brass that have been annealed after forming.

I have VARGET, H322, H4895, CFE223....also CCI 400 and CCI 450 primers....also Barts 68gr, Berger 68gr, Berger 64gr bullets.

Any tips where to start component=wise? I’m thinking get close to a load with the Barts, CCI450 and CFE223. Then try substituting powder. I’m thinking powder charge needs to be my first variable, then seating depth, then neck tension, then powder, then try other bullets.

That said, are one of the other powders a better starting point? Are CCI 400’s a better starting point?

that I'm familiar with, start with cci 400's, H322 at about 27.8grains, 28.0, 28.1, and 28.2 in either 3 or 5 shots each (I'd go with 3 each at this point) with the Bart's 68's about .005 into the lands. Pick your best of 2 groups then seating depth, then neck tension. Assuming that you have a 13 1/2 or 14tw barrel. Then try the same with the Berger 64's. Are you shooting Barts Dominators or Avengers?? WD

that I'm familiar with, start with cci 400's, H322 at about 27.8grains, 28.0, 28.1, and 28.2 in either 3 or 5 shots each (I'd go with 3 each at this point) with the Bart's 68's about .005 into the lands. Pick your best of 2 groups then seating depth, then neck tension. Assuming that you have a 13 1/2 or 14tw barrel. Then try the same with the Berger 64's. Are you shooting Barts Dominators or Avengers?? WD

I’m not sure which Bart’s....I kind of bought them as fireforming bullets, but I have a bunch, so I want to start loading there.

I think I’ll start with H322, but I don’t have a lot...I’m surprised by your recommendation of CCI 400 since PPC’s typically shoot well hot.

14 twist barrel, chamber is on the small end.

Last edited:
Well.....

I’m not sure which Bart’s....I kind of bought them as fireforming bullets, but I have a bunch, so I want to start loading there.

I think I’ll start with H322, but I don’t have a lot...I’m surprised by your recommendation of CCI 400 since PPC’s typically shoot well hot.

14 twist barrel, chamber is on the small end.

I've never started out load development for a 6 PPC with a 450 or magnum primer. You may try to use the 450's if you're more comfortable with them, but reduce the loads from my previous post buy a couple tenths each and see what happens. And check your PM's. WD

Back