6PPC - Clicks to 200 Yards

jim

Easy question for 6PPC shooters - I have a new to me 6PPC and have only shot it out to 100 yards. I am going to a varmint shoot this weekend where I will be shooting at 100 and 200 yards. I am shooting 28.3 grains of N133 over a 66 grain Accurate Arms bullet from a 21 inch barrel and using a Weaver 36x scope - how many clicks up from my 100 yard zero to be on at 200 yards.

Thanks a bunch

Easy question for 6PPC shooters - I have a new to me 6PPC and have only shot it out to 100 yards. I am going to a varmint shoot this weekend where I will be shooting at 100 and 200 yards. I am shooting 28.3 grains of N133 over a 66 grain Accurate Arms bullet from a 21 inch barrel and using a Weaver 36x scope - how many clicks up from my 100 yard zero to be on at 200 yards.

Thanks a bunch
If it is an old 4-inch scopes-----4 clicks to 200 yds. if it is a new 8-inch scope------8 clicks to 200. Start there, shoot for verification, adjust as needed

This works for every scope, a no-fail method when shooting 6 ppc loads.
If you're sighted at 100 and go to 200, then center the reticle on the mothball and dial the scope to the bottom ring on the 200 yard target. A bullet drops that distance from 100 to 200 yards. So you're just dialing the scope from your hold point, to where the bullet would drop.
Same to go back from 200 to 100, hold on the bottom ring of the 100 yard target and dial to the center of the mothball.
This way if you use different scopes, it doesn't matter how many clicks, just move the reticle from the mothball to the outer ring, or vice versa. Works the same from 200 to 300 yards for 6 ppc.

He's going to a varmint match, though. No standard 10 ring. Use the basic formula. 8 clicks to 200. 16 from there to 300. It will be in the ball park.

While I'm at it, remember that wind drift is a square function. Twice as far, four times as much drift. Three times as far, nine times the drift.

In my 30 VFS load, 10 mph at 90 degrees is about 1" at 100, 4" at 200, 9" at 300. Half as much wind, half as much drift. Twice is twice. 30 degrees angle on wind is half as much effective wind.

Take all that for what it's worth. It's just a guideline.

Last edited:
Weaver 36x scope - how many clicks up from my 100 yard zero to be on at 200 yards.

Thanks a bunch

It will all depend on your load. Hot loads require less vertical adjustment to go from 100 to 200 than a milder load.
George's method is a good guideline to get you in the ballpark, but if you're trying to hit a very specific spot, you're going to have to wait for good conditions, and then dial your scope to your bullet hole.

Being a long range shooter and hunter, the scope on my 6ppc is the only scope I own that isn't set at a specific zero mark. The reason being that I'm constantly changing my load day to day and hour to hour with that gun. So at any given time, the adjustment needed to go from 100 to 200 is different.

This works for every scope, a no-fail method when shooting 6 ppc loads.
If you're sighted at 100 and go to 200, then center the reticle on the mothball and dial the scope to the bottom ring on the 200 yard target. A bullet drops that distance from 100 to 200 yards. So you're just dialing the scope from your hold point, to where the bullet would drop.
Same to go back from 200 to 100, hold on the bottom ring of the 100 yard target and dial to the center of the mothball.
This way if you use different scopes, it doesn't matter how many clicks, just move the reticle from the mothball to the outer ring, or vice versa. Works the same from 200 to 300 yards for 6 ppc.

That's beautiful :)

Back