6mm Super LR Reamer

merbeau

Hi

I am in the early stages of rebarreling my Browning Safari which was originally purchased in 243 caliber. I am wanting to rebarrel in Robert Whitley's 6mm Super LR which appears to a very good case for both varmint and target shooting and I can make use of all my 243 brass and bullets. Most of my shooting will be 600 yards or less and more on varmingt than competition. I am wondering if the 6mm Super LR/SS reamer would be the way to go with the 0.040 freebore which should allow me to shoot ~ 70 gr. varmint and up to 95 gr VLD - not looking to shoot 115s.

Does this seem reasonable.

Thanks

Robert

Talk to Whitley about this, I don't have his number, but he's helpful.

He also has a Super LR "S" I believe, which has a shorter freebore for varmint bullets.

If you know anyone who has a copy of Wolfe Publishing Company's "Wildcat Cartridges", don't overlook the .22 Super PDC. With that nice long neck, enlarged to accept .243 bullets, it ought to be another excellent way to go, and its formed very easily w/243 brass.

And yes, it seems reasonable, even practical.

Hi Brian

Thanks for replying. I have the website on the 6mm Super LR that I assume Robert Whitley authored. I will look to see if there is any contact information including phone number. Thanks for the heads up on the 22 Super PDC. I will defintely take a look at this suggestion.

Robert

I've got a 6 Dasher reamer with .055" freebore.

Works perfectly for the 70 BT's through 95 VLD's with the Dasher's neck length.

Whitley has TWO 6MM chambers. One is for LR Target shooting, and will take the longer heavier bullets.
The other is for varminters, but has a shorter throat for the lighter varmint-type bullets.
Same chamber, just accomodates two different type bullets.
Not sure of his designations, but there are two distinct set-ups, and a different (reamer?) designation for each.

This is the site http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html regarding the 6mm Super and there are several configurations listed including one which is excluseively for the 115 gr LR bullets and others for bolt actions and even semi automatics. The very last one is the recommendation for varmint type of bullets, etc. I went back to the site and there is contact information which I missed the first time.

Back