6MM Rem load data question

T

toklat

Hi,
I have a factory Rem 700 heavy barreled 6MM .24 In 1in9 barrel.
I have been struggling to build a load that will shoot well . I have played around with the 95 Noz an IMR 4350 powder combinations but havent had much luck. I have some 87 GR Vmax bullets but havent tried them yet . Has anyone had any success building an accurate load for this set up.
I appreciate any input.

thanks,
Toklat

6 MM Rem Loads

Suggesting loads for someone else's rifle is always risky. The load that works in my rifle may be a disaster in yours. There are just too many variables. I have loaded for several .244 and 6 mm Rem rifles over the years and never found them to be very fussy about loads. You didn't say what you wanted to shoot with the ammo. Deer, paper, varmints, etc.? I have used the 6 mm Rem mostly for varmints, so bullets in the 70 to 85 gr. range were loaded. A load with the 70 gr Sierra MK and H-380 powder has worked very well in several rifles for paper punching and varmints. See the Hodgdon manual for powder charge weights. However, before getting too involved with load development make sure that other factors, such as bedding, scope, etc. are in good shape and are not causing the accuracy problems. Good shooting! Vic

Thanks for the input Vic. I have good glass on the rifle but it isnt bedded .
I use this rifle more for varmits and paper shooting.

Toklat

4350 has always worked very well in my 6mm's. One is an el chepo 788 I bought when they first came out. I glass bedded it, modified the trigger and lapped the barrel. 44gr of IMR4350 and GK 85gr BTHP and it shoots three shot groups that make one big hole. Knowing what the 4th and 5th shoots will do and compensating, I shot five shot groups that are easily hid by a nickle. My other one shoots a little tighter but just putting the barrel on it cost more than 10 of the 788's. I will not post the load for it because it's too hot for many rifles, basically I'm putting all the IMR4350 I can get in the case and using the bullet to pack it. The 788 load is fairly mild because those rifles don't live a very long live if you max load them.

I just bought some 95gr Nosler Ballistic tips to try but won't have time to load them before going to shoot tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
6 MM Rem Loads

Non-ammo related accuracy problems can be very frustrating and tough to diagnose. Two shooting buddies had .22/250 rifles, one Ruger and one Kimber, that didn't shoot to their satisfaction. After seeing their targets, i suggested the rifles be glass bedded. Both rifles settled down after bedding and their owners were very happy with the results.

Even "good" glass can go bad. I've had several expensive, well regarded scopes fail over the years. I have one now that has been back to the manufacturer twice. The scope was returned both times with a note saying they couldn't find anything wrong. Yet it still won't hold zero. And this is on a .17 MIV for gosh sakes!

The point of all this is that if load development has not progressed well after several tries, it's probably time to look somewhere else for the problem. Good luck! Vic

Well you have tried 1 powder and 1 bullet. IMR 4350 is a good powder but so are others . If you have or can get some H-4831, H-1000, N-150, N-160, RL-19, Rl-22, AA-3100 no need to get all of these but 1-2 would give you more to work with . Adjusting seating depths can also play a large roll in how a load performs.

toklat,

I have been shooting/reloading Rem 6mm's since the 50's. I have always own at least one, some times three.

I now use R-19, or H-4831 for my Barnes 85 TSX's, & XLC's, & Hornady 75 gr. V-Maxes, & 100 Gr. A-maxes.

three shot groups with the above are always less than 3/4 inch at 100 yds, if I do my part. the 75 gr. are lot less than that.

I have used Varget, & H-4350, & they also shoot good, but in my rifles not as good as R-19, or H-4831. Some barrels like different powders

as suggested by others, 1st thing I would do is make sure the bedding is ok.

6mm's will shoot

I have a Rem 700VLS in 6mm Rem in 26" barrel.
I hunt with it.
The best loads (so far) I have found for my gun are:
Berger 68 gr Match pushed by 46grs of H4350; Berger 95gr VLDs pushed w/ 43 grs H4350; and Sierra Game King 100 grs pushed w/ 43 grs of H4350.
Those all make a good enough group for my hunting (touching @ 100yds when I am doing my part).
Distance off the lands is pretty touchy on mine.
Plus... mine doesn't seem to like V-Max.

But like has been mentioned... your gun might like something different.

70gr. bullet and H380 worked pretty well for me. Some guy's like the 85gr. with 4350 powder.

I just tried some loads with H-4350 sunday and it worked almost as well as the IMR-4350. I was shoting five shot groups @ 100yds with Sierra GK 85 gr BTHP's working up 0.5 gr from 44.5 to 46 gr's. The 46 gr load shot best with one group at .317" and one at .348". My IMR-4350 load with same bullet usually shoots in the 0.2" group range. My regular area was a mud pit from the rain so I was shooting on a WMA and had to lug everything 50 yards to the shooting area so I didn't set the chrony up to check velocities

In my Rem 6mm...

I shot a load of 43.0g of IMR 4350 with a 95g Partition just off the lands.

Also shot a barn full of chucks with a load of 38.5g of H4895, win case, fed 210 primer, 85g Sierra BTHP.

49-50g of Win 760, Win case, 210 primer shot bug holes with the 60g Sierra HP.

39.0-41.5g of IMR 4064 with an 80g Sierra is 3500 fps, extremely accurate in a Win case with a Fed 210 primer.

If you want accuracy, get the rifle bedded, barrel freefloated, and trigger to 3 lbs.

Good luck

Back