6mm ppc

just got some ball powder super target AA.AM GOING TO FIRE FORM cases.am thinking 10 grains ad a clay tamp in the neck tyo start.can save on bulletsa and powder and wear on the barrel.thoughts on this for start load

Can't help with that load but for reference, I use 16.0 of Winchester 231 when blowing out 6BR cases to 30BR.

I wouldn't use clay. Either the parrafin as suggested or Play Doh will work. The Play Doh just vaporizes. I'm sure there are others too. I pack some tissue paper very tightly on top of the powder all the way to half way up the neck. A wooden chop stick works good to cram it in tightly. You definitely don't want any dead air space in the case. Make sure to use a bore mop in the chamber after firing each case to remove any unfired powder that can dent the next case when fired.

You'll still need to fform them with bullets and powder the 'real' way one more time after this, though.

For what it's worth....

Send your brass to DJ's Brass service. Quick turn around. Hydro forms and turns necks to your spec. The brass is ready to go.
Of course, you still need to check them in sizing die. Chamfer necks inside and out. Just to make sure.
And the best part you save on components.

Send your brass to DJ's Brass service. Quick turn around. Hydro forms and turns necks to your spec. The brass is ready to go.
Of course, you still need to check them in sizing die. Chamfer necks inside and out. Just to make sure.
And the best part you save on components.
hydro formed AINT fire formed. FIRE FORMED IS 50-60KPSI
nice service, but i do my own with powder!
it aint a cheap sport

Honestly, with the amount the 220R case needs to blow out to fit a 6PPC chamber, I'd f-form them the conventional way....a cheap bullet, some powder that's a skosh faster than than you'll likely use when shooting it and whatever odd SR primers you happen to have around.

Set the seating depth up to jam the bullet hard (seater stem .020-.030 shorter than the 'touch point' for the f-form bullets you use), lightly lube the case with a cleaning patch and a few drops of Kroil, 3 In 1, Marvel Mystery Oil or any light sewing machine type oil on the patch. Lube the lugs every 5 rounds with any good, high pressure sticky lube.

Obviously, the necks need to be expanded and turned prior to doing this to set your neck dimension relative to your chamber.

I have a 6PPC coming that needs cases made for it and that's exactly how I'll do them.

Good shootin' -Al

Works for me. And some others.
By the way. When I sized them to make sure. The shoulder got a little bump. 29.2 gn of N133 came out the same as always. Level wise.
And they grouped fine.
But, I am not a top 5 shooter or 10. Depending on which tournament.

Honestly, with the amount the 220R case needs to blow out to fit a 6PPC chamber, I'd f-form them the conventional way....a cheap bullet, some powder that's a skosh faster than than you'll likely use when shooting it and whatever odd SR primers you happen to have around.

Set the seating depth up to jam the bullet hard (seater stem .020-.030 shorter than the 'touch point' for the f-form bullets you use), lightly lube the case with a cleaning patch and a few drops of Kroil, 3 In 1, Marvel Mystery Oil or any light sewing machine type oil on the patch. Lube the lugs every 5 rounds with any good, high pressure sticky lube.

Obviously, the necks need to be expanded and turned prior to doing this to set your neck dimension relative to your chamber.

I have a 6PPC coming that needs cases made for it and that's exactly how I'll do them.

Good shootin' -Al
Good method Al has. You should make sure the brass fits into your particular chamber. You may need a slight bump on your shoulder to fit to your chamber.

I agree with above information.

Frequently I use new cases that are being fireformed as sighters on a registered target.
Its not any extra ware on the barrel or use of components.

Only problem is keeping them segreted from the using match cases.
The older I get the more of a chalenge this is at times!!!!!!!

Good shootin' -Al
Al I have always done the same as you. Have you ever tried just shooting the case with a 22 bullet? I am curious about that method as I have a form barrel, all done with the same reamer.

Al I have always done the same as you. Have you ever tried just shooting the case with a 22 bullet? I am curious about that method as I have a form barrel, all done with the same reamer.
Done that. A Win .224 55 gn fmj. In an old 6PPC barrel. It made expanding the neck easier. Jackie Schmidt mentioned this.....

Back