6mm competition match

.22 ppc

I was browsing the web looking for a long range 6mm cartridge since i'm rebarreling a 6mm-284 I inherited, and stumbled across an article about a 6mm cartridge pushing 115's at 3100 claiming 3500 to 4000 rounds on a barrel. Just glancing over the article I was very skeptical at these claims. looking over the science behind the claims and seeing the guys making the claims I suppose it is possible. The main things i got from the article were slow single based powders at low pressure and a special cleaning process. looking at the case capacity it seems almost identical to .243ai which is also similar to my 6-284, so hypothetically speaking could i just use the slow powder and the same cleaning methods to drastically increase my barrel life without changing over to a new cartridge? I would love to keep my 6-284 setup but at 600 rounds to a barrel it is cheaper to go to a different cartridge. Thoughts?

The larger the case capacity with a given bullet diameter the shorter the barrel life. Nothing you can do short of loading it down in velocity is going to change that. I'd be leary of any claims of pushing a 115 gr 6mm bullet at 3100 fps and having 3000 to 4000 round life span. But, then again part of that depends upon what accuracy level is acceptable when you claim it's shot out.

Even if all that is true suppose your barrel doesn't like a single based powder. If this is to be a competition gun the selection of custom 115 bullets is limited.

Last edited:
In the 6ppc there are powders that shorten "benchrest competition" barrel life. For example Rl-10x.but in that example, I'm pushing 3550 with 68 grain bullets.

So, what do you call acceptable accuracy? Benchrest competition accuracyand varmint accuracy are not apples to apples.

Let me clarify a bit the specific cartridge I'm speaking of is the 6mm competition match or 6cm and on all the post about it they claim consistent 1/2 moa for 3500-4000 rounds. For me personally I would be happy with consistent 1 moa so I could probably go a little further. Coming from owning a hot rod 6mm like 6-284 I know how notoriously bad barre life is. I struggle to believe these claims BUT if these claims are true then that's what I want to go with to save myself from rebareeling a rifle every 6 months. To me it makes sense that I could keep my cartridge since the case capacities are so similar. I think I will just have to try it to see for myself but I would like to see what the experienced guys have to say about these claims. Here is the link to the original article for y'all to read yourselves.http://forum.accurateshooter.com/th...ife-same-accuracy-6mmcompetitionmatch.619810/

The claims of high velocities coupled with superb accuracy and extended barrel life, when taken all together, are known by the technical term, " A load of BS". Regards, Bill.

And, at the end of the day, the Indian still rules. The last 600 yard event at the Camp Perry 2016 NRA Nationals, a lowly 223 took the honors, rifle is a 26 inch AR match rifle shooting against mostly variants of 6MM and 6.5MM match rifles.

Attachments

• cp452-16.pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 189
what is regarded to be the most efficient 6 mm cambering.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete, it depends on what the purpose is.

True, we can push a 68 grn match bullet from a 6PPC at 3400+ fps with no more ill affects than a few loose primer pockets. You can also push a 108 grn 6mm bullet from a 6BR at 2950 fps with no ill affects.

Both will give Match winning accuracy. In Benchrest, we sacrifice all other parameters of ballistic performance for one thing, that being agging capability.

When you start adding Case capacity, the returns start to diminish, but you do it for a reason we rarely talk about here, that being actual performance of a bullet on game. The 6PPC and the 6BR are great chambering, and extremely efficient in that you can get great performance from a minimum amount of powder

If you are hunting game animals that weigh more than 100 pounds, you would probably be better off with a 243 Win or 6mm Remington. You then have the case capacity to push even larger bullets at the same velocity, or even more. Yes, efficiency goes down, but downrange ballistics go up enough to warrant the amount of powder burned.

If you shoot a White Tail at 100 yards with a 100 grn Sierra Game king out of a 6BR at 2950, the deer is going down. But, if it's a White Tail at 250 yards, a 100 grn Cor-lock from a 243 would be a much better choice, even though efficiency and accuracy drops.

Last edited:
Thanks Jackie

Pete, it depends on what the purpose is.

True, we can push a 68 grn match bullet from a 6PPC at 3400+ fps with no more ill affects than a few loose primer pockets. You can also push a 108 grn 6mm bullet from a 6BR at 2950 fps with no ill affects.

Both will give Match winning accuracy. In Benchrest, we sacrifice all other parameters of ballistic performance for one thing, that being agging capability.

When you start adding Case capacity, the returns start to diminish, but you do it for a reason we rarely talk about here, that being actual performance of a bullet on game. The 6PPC and the 6BR are great chambering, and extremely efficient in that you can get great performance from a minimum amount of powder

If you are hunting game animals that weigh more than 100 pounds, you would probably be better off with a 243 Win or 6mm Remington. You then have the case capacity to push even larger bullets at the same velocity, or even more. Yes, efficiency goes down, but downrange ballistics go up enough to warrant the amount of powder burned.

If you shoot a White Tail at 100 yards with a 100 grn Sierra Game king out of a 6BR at 2950, the deer is going down. But, if it's a White Tail at 250 yards, a 100 grn Cor-lock from a 243 would be a much better choice, even though efficiency and accuracy drops.

I know many are looking for a better mouse trap, always, but there is always what has been proven o be true.

Pete

Back