6mm BRX neck size and free bore?

Leeroy

Machinest / Gunsmith
G'day gents.

I sent and e-mail off to PT&G last week enquiring about a quote for a 6mmBRX reamer. I haven't heard back from them yet and was going to give them a call but need a little info first..
Can anyone tell me the correct neck size for a turned neck for the new blue box lapua brass? I'm guessing somewhere arround 0.266 - 0.268.. And i am also after the correct freebore to shoot the heavy 105 gn Berger bullets?

Thanks

Leeroy

its my understanding( i have been wrong before) that this is mainly a cmp/dcm across the course target rifle round. not sure how much it is used in benchrest shooting...so you may not get many responses.
i know of no reason to go old school thin neck on new brass....my 6 ppc reamer was .270.....
no clue on the free bore.

mike in co

Leeroy,

My old cardboard box Lapua measures .269 with a 105 Berger. My new bluebox Lapua brass measures .268 with a 105 Berger. This is in a 6Dasher and 6br.

Brandon

Leeroy

Your .266 to .268" is a accurate estimate for a neck clean up.
A lot of different Free-bore's are being tried, and is more a personal choice. Starting around .104" to upwards of .160" will cover most of them out there in the 6BR/6BRX/6Dasher's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike -

No 6-BRX's in Benchrest? ..... where have you been hiding. Very popular caliber in 600/1000 BR.
And what is old school to 6mmBR Blue-box Lapua neck diameters? ..... a light clean up and .266" is what you get.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

hiding( at work on )weekends..not shooting...
Leeroy

Your .266 to .268" is a accurate estimate for a neck clean up.
A lot of different Free-bore's are being tried, and is more a personal choice. Starting around .104" to upwards of .160" will cover most of them out there in the 6BR/6BRX/6Dasher's.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mike -

No 6-BRX's in Benchrest? ..... where have you been hiding. Very popular caliber in 600/1000 BR.
And what is old school to 6mmBR Blue-box Lapua neck diameters? ..... a light clean up and .266" is what you get.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

I have been shooting a 6BRX for about 3yrs now, and if I was ordering a reamer it would be a .268neck with at least 140 freebore. 104 freebore is popular but the bullets keep getting longer with more BC.Not a authority but just my experience thinking.

Thanks guys for all the input, i now have all the info i need.. I'll give PT&G a call tomorrow and put my order in..

Cheers
Leeroy

Leeroy,
Something to consider in deciding on your reamer specs is this : I have noticed that many 6 BRX reamers will produce "bolt click" in the brass after only three or four firings . Typically it is a base diameter issue. Most 6 Dasher reamers I have used have a larger diameter base and bolt click is not as much a problem. Be sure and discuss this with Dave Kiff at PT&G and don't spec the base diameter of your reamer too small. Dave is familar with this issue.

Rodney

Last edited:
HI Leroy....Listen to the "eggman"...he knows how to make em shoot.....I like .471" at the .200 line...talk to Kiff.....I am a "no turn" shooter and use a .271" ND....and as someone said earlier, FB is ever growing because of the new generation of bullets.....in these times with a BRX and its .200 of useable neck length I would go with .145 FB (min--works good with Hybrid-VLD-Lapua-105's and Sierra 107 SMK) with overall chamber length of 1.555..if the chamber is longer or shorter adjust the FB accordingly.....Roger

Leeroy..........My PTG 6mmBRX reamer is spec'd at 112 FB. I believe Mike Davis has been using this FB also.
Rich De

If I were to build a 6BRX, I would use a .269 neck and .104 freebore. I already have a Dasher, and this combo works well. Good shooting...James

Thanks for the info re the "Bolt Click".. I am planning to have a 0.003 resize reamer made to the same spec as the reamer and will be making my own resizing dies. I assume that this will take care of the sizing isues?
Unfortunatly i didn't get up early enough this morning to put the order in by telephone, so have a few more days to make my minde up..

Currently looking at the following..

6mm BRX, 0.268 neck, 0.145 free bore.
-0.003 base, -0.002 shoulder resize reamer to suit above.

Cheers
leeroy

Make sure he knows your going to use Lapua brass, for some reason if you do not tell him a specific chamber length he defaults to the old Remington brass length and a short chamber. I and many others have had to trim new Lapua brass .015" before the bolt would close. The BRX is a very capable round that you will fall in love with. I have. I have had 4 BRX reamers made to date, and my favorite FB is .140" and do use the .471" at the base Another source for reamers is JGS, they make a high quality tool, but at a higher initial cost. Robert Whitley has Redding S-Type BRX dies in stock.

Last edited:
Leeroy,
Something to consider in deciding on your reamer specs is this : I have noticed that many 6 BRX reamers will produce "bolt click" in the brass after only three or four firings . Typically it is a base diameter issue. Most 6 Dasher reamers I have used have a larger diameter base and bolt click is not as much a problem. Be sure and discuss this with Dave Kiff at PT&G and don't spec the base diameter of your reamer too small. Dave is familar with this issue.

Rodney

Yes LISSEN to this man!!!!!

Fat butts RULE.

al

Back