6mm/204 Ruger

The .222 mag has a 23deg shoulder and the 204 has a 30deg shoulder. The 204 has a slightly shorter neck and a little less body taper. When you add it all up the diff in case cap. is minimal at best. They should produce the same velocities, but I have far exceeded published 6X47 performance with the 6-204. I dont know why:confused:

The only reason I went with the 204 case over the 222mag case is.....well, I dont know. Other than I just like to tinker. either way I am very happy!:D

Steve

my 22-204 Imp

My version has a 40* shoulder ,use 223AI dies for the upper end and a modified carbide 357 mag die for the base and web.222 mag in the middle , 80gr Amax and a 80gr SMK

100_0036.jpg

100_0052.jpg

Bullets7.jpg

223 , 223AI , 222Mag , 204 , 22-204Imp , 5.6x50R , 22-250AI , 220 Swift

Steve ,thanks for the pics....

Vince

Last edited by a moderator:
Vince

That is one beautiful Contender!

What kind of velocity do you get out of the 22-204?

Steve

Steve

Thanks ,
I run 2750fps ,in the Contender ..My main reason for these smaller diameter cases ..Is because of the limited strength of these frames ...even with these limits ... the Case and Gun perform very well ..I really love the 204 case ,easy to work with and already Improved from the factory.
Vince

To Varmint Guy

Yes the 6x47 and 6x204 are quite similar but there are a couple of good reasons why I would favour the 6x204. In my neck of the woods 222mag brass is getting quite scarce but 204Ruger brass is every where. I am sure that 204 brass could be pushed into a a 6x47 die without problems, but why sacrifice the additional case capacity. I like the idea of a 222 based cartridge with the same case capacity as the 6ppc but the 6x47 as good a cartridge as it is, falls just a little short of that ideal. On the plus side reamers and reloading dies are more readily avaliable for the 6x47. Recently I had look at a Ruger 77 MK2 in 6ppc. That is another alternative to an accurate low cost rifle.:D

atimmons, it is a lee press. I just bought a powder-coating gun and wanted to play, thats why its copper colored.;)

Vince, What wieght bullet are you using?

Murphy, if you have access to a lathe, I used a Lyman .204R die and opened up the top to accept a Redding bushing and used a Redding 6mm sizer button and stem. For the seating die I opend up the sleeve in a RCBS Comp seater.

Steve

weight

Steve ,
This Contender has a 7 twist , 18 " barrel and I normally run 80 gr bullets , Amax ,Berger , SMK . Barrel was made by On Target Technologies , Dover , NH .

To Steve

Did you heat the die first to get rid of the case hardening, or did your lathe tool cut it ok just as it comes?:confused:

Back