6mm/204 Ruger

M

murphy

Has such a rifle ever been created, It has occured to me that a custom rifle built on this case would have greater case volume than a 6x47 and put a 223 bolt faced rifle into the realms of the 6PPC and 6BR.:confused::confused:

Wouldn't a 6mm /.223 accomplish the same thing? What advantage does the 204 case have over the 223 case, other than a little more capacity, due to length increase? Would the difference be worth it? I dunno, but I like the discussion.

the 6mm-223 is also known as a 6x45, the 6mm-204 is very close to the older 6mm-222mag or 6x47 (not lapua). The 6x47 was a popular round before the 6PPC came about. one of the members here shoots a 6mm-204 (quite well btw) at the Denton, TX matches - Stevec. Contact steve (hope he will drop by this thread), he has just finished another rilfe in the caliber for his wife to shoot. It is nice round, if you want to use the smaller bolt face.

Last edited:
I don't think you gain anything over a 6x47. The 204 is based on the 222 mag so where's the gain 2-3 grains maybe ? But it's different I guess. Plus you get to buy custom dies ,reamers etc. Toys toys toys :D:D:D

To Miketx

Thanks for the information, If steve is watching, let's hope he posts in as I would be interested to know how this round compares capacity wise with a 6PPC. I think that they may be very close?:D

6-204

I have 2 6-204s (one for me and one for wife) Both shoot very well.
As far as case cap goes, it is the same as a PPC. can use the same loads and get the same velocities with great accuracy.

I have a chamber reamer print for my reamer, if you want to look at it PM me your email and I send it your way.

Steve

To Steve

My Email address is wirraleigh@bigpond.com Did you have your reamer custom made or are they a store item? The very first time I saw one of those straight walled Ruger cases I thought to myself that they might just have that bit of extra capacity that the 6x47 lacks. Are your rifles set up for competive benchrest, paper punching, or varmints? My own tastes lean towards paper punching and varmints, but it would be interesting if in the future more of these rifles come along and some get campaigned in benchrest. Thanks for replying to my post. Reguards Murphy.:D

The first one I built was just for paper punching but I went to Denton Tx. and shot in a club match and got hooked. Definatly not Br rigs, wiegh right at 13 pounds, but both guns are very accurate and fun to shoot.
Using 68gr bergers @ 3400fps (have pushed them to 3575 but dont expect much out of your brass!) Both guns group in the low .2s with no wind of course:D

One is a Savage with 25 inch Krieger gain twist(15 to 14.2)
the other is a Stevens with the same barrel. Both have homade stocks.

Wifes

100_0706.jpg

100_0709.jpg

Mine

100_0283.jpg

100_0281.jpg

100_0651.jpg

100_0618-1.jpg

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Murphy

I emailed you the reamer print. It is a standard off-the shelf reamer. I would suggest getting a little tighter neck. I am going to send mine in and have it regrouned.

Steve

To Steve

Words fail me, They are the prettiest rifles and some of the tidiest groups I have ever seen. I would kill just to own your benchrest stand, and even the photography and presentation are top notch. Good grief man and you even have a wife that is interested in shooting! :cool: Thank you so much for your help, can definately see a 6mm/204 in my future.:D:D

I made a 6mmx47 improved with 40 deg shoulder, it shot well with a number of powders. Even took small group at super shoot #13. WU. Fed 6X47
brass was used and the case held what the ppc does. Brass life is an
issue as primer pockets open fast.

Steve, nice looking smoke poles. Looking at the close up of the rifle with the blue stock it appears that the scope is one of the BSA 36 power scopes. Is that what it is?
Reason I ask is I have one that first came out through Midway and I think I only had to give less than a $100 for it. It has a cross hair and dot. It was the first group that were made in Japan.

Good groups you have there.

Dew

Thanks Dew,

The scope on the blue rifle is a Weaver T36 and the other is a tru glow 36
The true glow is a cheap scope but very clear and very repeatable.

Steve

Loading box

Steve , nice rigs for sure... and I do have a interest in the 6mm-204 but , for use in a Pistol....
If I can , Hows about a couple of pics of your loading box.... I apologize for diverting this thread ,alittle ...
Thanks
Vince

I built a 6mm/204 for a platform ror 62gr VG's and coyote hunting. It is the last of my experimenting with the 204 case. I started with a 25-204, then a 22-204 and finally the 6mm/204, all have turned out to exceed my expectations.

6mm206VG002-2.jpg

This group is average for the gun, Savage action, factory sporter stock, factory pre-accutrigger, 24" Shaw light sporter barrel and 3x9 Sightron II scope. I'm happy, the coyotes aren't.

As for dies I use a Redding a 204 Ruger FL Type S Bushing die with the expander ball and bushing swaped out to 6mm, I use the same die to load the 22 and 25 also. I use Hornady sliding sleeve seaters to take care of the seating no customs dies needed.

Browndaug

Words fail me, They are the prettiest rifles and some of the tidiest groups I have ever seen. I would kill just to own your benchrest stand, and even the photography and presentation are top notch. Good grief man and you even have a wife that is interested in shooting! :cool: Thank you so much for your help, can definately see a 6mm/204 in my future.:D:D

Steve does fine work..! Just look at that co-axial front rest... Made entirely by Steve. Outstanding work Steve!

Steve and Misty will both be tough competition at Denton!

cale

Cale, Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for helping get Misty fired up about shooting! We have only got to shoot her rifle 3 times but she's put around 400 rnds down the tube! Prolly have to buy her a new barrel by next season but I'm not complaining! We'll se ya in the mourning.....Dang! we got to get up at 2:00AM!

Browndaug, Looks good! I love this round! I have had my best groups with
H322 and berger bullets 60,62,65,68gr all shoot very well. Cale's 62gr customs also shoot excellent!

Vince, Some pics.

100_0769.jpg

100_0771.jpg

100_0772.jpg

100_0774.jpg

Steve

Murphy: I think the 6mm/204 Ruger would be virtually the same cartrdige as the 6x47 - would it not?
I have an ultra accurate all factory stock Remington 40XBBR-KS in caliber 6x47.
This particular Rifle has shot EVERY loading I have tried in it, at least, WELL!
It is my understanding that the 6x47 is nothing more than the 222 Remington Magnum necked up to 6mm - and the 204 Ruger nothing more than the 222 Remington Magnum necked down.
So I see no notable increase in powder capacity then in the 6mm/204 vs. the 6x47!
Like someone else mentioned my 6x47 REALLY likes the 68 grain Euber bullets.
I use my 40X in 6x47 for long range Rock Chuckin and on rare occassions it sees use in Prairie Dog Towns.
Yes I do think the 6x47 or the 6mm/204 is an EXCELLENT use of a 223 bolt faced action.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Back