6BR loads for 100 yards

K

koivu

My Savage model 12 6BR shoots well at 300 yards. I've been shooting it in some 100 yard matches where 6PPCs seem to rule the roost. I'm doing ok (mid-pack) with 70 gr Sierra Matchkings and 33 gr of Varget. Any suggestions for other loads for 100 yards?

Thanks

well I have had a few 14 twist 6BR's..have two right now..most of my 24" or 26" barrels would shoot 30.5 gr RL10x behind any good 65-66gr custom bullet,lit by a cci 450 primer.. most of the time .010 off the rifeling shot the best..I do mean ppc accurate..mid .100's to mid .200's.. and fairley consistantly over a huge temp range..But i have a 21 3/4 " 13.75 twist barrel now that just does not seem to like it all. But i can say. a shelin,a pac nor(3 groove), a brux. all shot that load real well..If you are shooting a 8 twist I dont know what to tell you, but if it's a 12 twist I would say back off the powder.. find something in the 30.5 to 31.5 range. H322 has shot real well, H4895 has shot well, N133 has shot well,N135,IMR8208xbr,,just to name a few. But dont push it like you would a varmint load. keep the powder down, filled to the top of the shoulder is good enough.That load has shot well enough that i have a hard time not taking it to a match, I know how bad my last agg was with my ppc.I been thinking all week of shooting my 6BR in the next one. ah but i just cant have to take the 6ppc..I know it will be a search in the morning to try and find what will shoot well with either rifle,and im getting real close to knowing what my 6ppc will want..plus i have shot a few small group with it and want to shoot some more of them..

Last edited:
My 6br 14twist with 66gr fowlers is very very accurate. I am using H322 and the velo is right around 3300 i think. 1's and 2's very common. A few zero groups as well. My free bore is .021, and i have been shooting some 66gr hi BC Berger bullets in that barrel with almost if not equal accuracy as the Fowlers. I like it. Lee

lee how many gr's of H322 are ya useing? been a few years since i shot any but the lot i had,i was around 28.5 gr..with a 70 gr berger MEF. that load had shot three shots in one hole at 200 yrds..but could never get five .lol...both of my 6BR's i have now are very tight chambers with zero freebore..so a 66 fowler is in 7/8 of the neck..man it's going to be hard not to take it tomorrow..but ah ...I know it can shoot as well as my 6ppc, but really my 6ppc is just a awsome rifle, but i do have a barrel hideing under the bed that i'm going to have chambered with my 6BR reamer to go onto that awsome rifle.some day anyway.

I have two 6BR both with 1-12 twist. The both shoot extremely well with 30.7 g of H 4895. I am still shooting a large supply of Berger 70g match (which they no longer make), but the Sierra 70g BTHP match have done equally well. Was going to order some 68g Berger's from Powder Valley but they are out at the moment.

Ed

I'm doing ok (mid-pack) with 70 gr Sierra Matchkings and 33 gr of Varget.

Hey... That's not Bad my friend.... Bet your beating some PPC's to boot.....
The other suggestions are solid, but I believe your Varget / 70HPBT Sierras are CAPABLE..!

Just it's TOUGH to beat the top PPC's shooters........... EVEN with a PPC and dedicated 100/200 BR gun... Hehehe.....

Have fun experimenting with that Savage.... Just don't get too wound-up in try'n to beat the top finishing PPC guys...
You'll need one too more than likely to win with ANY sort of consistentcy...

Get after them PPC guy's @ 300....Wink!;)

cale

lee how many gr's of H322 are ya useing?

I dont recall off hand. I would have to look. If i had to guess i would say 29gr?? I really dont remember though. Lee

N135 is THE 6BR powder. ...but of late i've been shooting 32.8 AA2520 with a 66 fowler clone HBN COATED. and it's consistent in my 14 twist.
but if your shooting 8 twist savage the 80fb berger and 135 is the ticket for short range........imo.

george the N135 shoots well enough to make you think it shoots..but if you have a barrel that shoots RL10x it will out agg it every time..I just shot a match with my 6BR shooting N135 , had to try ...its was bad like a .5 agg at 200 and .4 agg at 100..i have agg'ed a .350 at 200 and .348 at 100 with the RL10 in tough conditions.
but this barrel im shooting just does not like the RL10...I have had the same resualts with N135 in my others barrel's also.
I want to try some of the 2015 powder in it..I do like to take a break from the 6ppc and just shoot the 6BR,it's fun..
It maybe this barrel i have is just junk..but i have a few .230's and have been real close to the .100's with a bit a vertical keeping in the low 2's..

This is how my day went, shot one fouler low on the sighter, then shot two in a hole and said it's on went up to the record and it just bla!..
that is kind of been my experience with the N135 not to my likeing..if this barrel would shoot the RL10 i feel it would give more consistent of what ever it would shoot for you, so if you got it tuned in the mid .100's it would shoot that way consistantly..that has been my experience with it..but this barrel does not like it, this barrel wont tune to that kind of speed.. maybe this barrel is no good, but i will keep playing with it..maybe i will learn something..But in all the 6BR barrels i have had I really can not believe the BR can not be competitive. At least I have shot a few practice agg's better than my 6ppc's have shot. but have never done it in a match, maybe one day i will..but my 6ppc does shoot well..

That's right there is two shots in top of that lower right sighter bull..If only i could get five like that.

Attachments

• BR#2-20001.jpg
    BR#2-20001.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 1,499
  • BR#20001=2.jpg
    BR#20001=2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,128
Last edited:
Assuming the OP is using a 1/14 twist or something like............Another vote for N-135 having had just the opposite experience in my barrels with RL10X--N-135 was more consistent--also another vote for trying Berger bullets over the Sierras--my current barrel likes the 65gr WEB as much as it liked much more expensive hand made bullets......lucky for my wallet

Gene Harwood(former NBRSA President) set a world record years ago with his own 60g bullets with H335 with a speed of 3700 fps. In my rifles, I am shooting the 55g Noslers at 3900+ with AA2230 with a Rem 7 1/2 primer, and this load out shoots the 68's at 300 yds hands down. Groups of 1" or less at 300 yards is not uncommon, and my rifle is a varmint rifle.

In the late 80's early 90's, I shot an ungodly number of 60g Sierra hp in the 6 BR with H335, with amazing accuracy, lots of groups in the 1's and 2's. I called Sierra to complement them on the accuracy of the bullet after trying it in my 6 PPC's as well. Sierra told me that it was the most accurate bullet they made at that time.

If you have not tried the 55g NOslers and 60g Sierra's with H335 or AA2230, you are in for a very special surprise. They burn very clean and accuracy will be at speeds that you would never believed attainable in such a small case....just use a thick cup primer.

I went on to shoot P. dogs with the 6 BR, 60g Sierra, and H335. I cleaned in 300 round intervals, that is how clean the powder burns at peak pressure.

I have been having very good results at 100 yards with my 1:14, 6mmBR using 33gr of Varget and either 68 gr Bergers or 67 gr Bib's. (I'm going to try the Berger column bullets soon) I have tried other powders but the results on target are no better and I can feel the results of the higher pressures with a harder bolt lift. My philosphy, especially at 100 - 200 yards, is why beat up my brass and burn out my barrel? I simply don't need to be pushing near 4000 fps to get good results. If you consider your rifle and barrell to be a consumable product then, by all means, load 'em hot and fire away.

I have been having very good results at 100 yards with my 1:14, 6mmBR using 33gr of Varget and either 68 gr Bergers or 67 gr Bib's. (I'm going to try the Berger column bullets soon) I have tried other powders but the results on target are no better and I can feel the results of the higher pressures with a harder bolt lift. My philosphy, especially at 100 - 200 yards, is why beat up my brass and burn out my barrel? I simply don't need to be pushing near 4000 fps to get good results. If you consider your rifle and barrell to be a consumable product then, by all means, load 'em hot and fire away.

Andy my experience 33gr's of varget would be a hot load..my guess would be over 3,400 fps..have you chrony'ed the load?

Keith , I also like the H335.it has been a few years since i have burned any but i picked up a can the other day..what i think was, i was shooting a 65 v-max with like 33.5 grs at 95 + deg F at about 3,450 FPS.. with many group's in the low to mid .2's with it...I also have shot very good groups with varget on over cast rainy days. varget seemed a bit finickey over 30.5 gr's when the temp got hot..where as H335 loves the hot weather.
Keith how many gr's of the H335 with a 66-68 gr'er?

The targets are all 30.5 gr RL10.. the agg was shot over a afternoon from 1pm to about 4pm in windy condition. trying to simulate match condition, even had a few other shooters and we had one bench so we had to reset are rest and bag back up after every group, it was great for me because it was good practice..the 300 yrd group was the same 30.5 of RL10x with a 65 V-max..I actually flinched off the bad shot, I was holding the rilfe, and a .650 at 300 is a little disapointing as i have shot a few in the .5 to .7 range and that was what i was trying to do..I also shot a score shoot with 30.5 RL10 and a 65 V-max with two different lots of cases for two different rilfe's because i do not have enough cases set up to go pre loaded, so i just loaded up all the cases i had from two different rilfe's. and shot a 246-9x..at 100yrds. and i feel i got cought twice by a tail wind that put me high. two other shots i blame factory bullets.lol...But i know for sure if you have a 14 or 12 twist 6BR barrel that will shoot the RL10 it is the most accurate powder i have shot, in several different barrel's and chamber's.. but i now have a barrel that wont shoot it and i did not think that was possible. so ... pluss i have piles of targets someplace that most of them are in the mid .100's all from RL10, But i do remember H335 would be my second choice so i picked up a can and maybe i will get to shoot it this weekend.

Attachments

• target set 8-8 agg0001.jpg
    target set 8-8 agg0001.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,281
  • 42411 300 650001.jpg
    42411 300 650001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,062
  • 4-.0780002.jpg
    4-.0780002.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 1,060
Last edited:
If memory serves me correctly, I was getting about 3150-3200 with my load (also, I Hbn coat my bullets). It just seems that I can get decent velocity with Varget without the high pressure signs showing up. I have tried 8208 and H335 lately and bolt lift is definitely harder. This past summer was certainly a test as to which powders like the heat.

well andy it's been ten years since i have shot any varget in my 14 twist 6BR's. I been shoot n that RL10..I cant remember for sure but i thought i had some targets that said 30.5 grs varget with a 70 gr berger mef..at about 3,250 FPS..was kind of a mild load.....I have a load that is (hot) it's 33.8 gr's IMR8208xbr behind a 70 gr seria BK at 3,550FPS out of a 24" barrel..it shoot .290 to .450 but it is smoken hard on groundhogs. I may need to try some varget in this barrel..but i do remember the H335 shot well. I shot it for a year or two before i switched to RL10.

andy how many gr's of H335 were you shooting?

mark-x, I tried a few rounds of H335 @ 30 gr. Basically I'm trying to use some of these powders up, originally bought it to try in my 223 but found my barrel liked Benchmark a tad better. I'd say that 33.8 gr's of 8208 was hot. I shot some loads of XBR8208 @ 32.0 gr behind 70 Gr SMK's at 600 yards last week which was when I felt the tight bolt lift, they did shoot well though.

yea my 223 liked the benchmark, i tryed to chrony some benchmark in my 6ppc last weekend but it was raining so no chrony but i did shoot it,,ah it shot ok maybe one group got in the high 100's.. If i shoot the H335 this weekend i will chrony it if not raining..but what i remember , i think i was @33.5gr's H335 lit by a cci 450 primer, got to use the 450's because if you get a load tuned, I do mean .100's or low .200's it will stay if you are useing the 450, i dont know why..i have shot good groups with every primer out there but good one day and not the next,but it does seem if you tuned it with a 450 primer, it stays in tune more..that has been my experience.I think i was getting about 3,450 FPS with a 65 v-max,33.5 gr's H335 out of a 26" barrel..and if i remember right you cant tune it you can go up and down on the powder does not seem to change the tune too much, up gets hotter(bolt lift) down just slows it down, wind sensitive..but if it's hot 85 -95 + deg F it shoot's in a hole..if i remember right.
Oh just so you know i'm on my 7th 6BR barrel, I dont shoot em out as fast as other people because i have several rifles's to shoot so i dont work one too hard all the time..that's 7 barrel's over a 12 year peroid and i have a 3 groove blank that i think i will have it chambered to 6BR also..

Last edited:
well I have had a few 14 twist 6BR's..have two right now..most of my 24" or 26" barrels would shoot 30.5 gr RL10x behind any good 65-66gr custom bullet,lit by a cci 450 primer.. most of the time .010 off the rifeling shot the best..I do mean ppc accurate..mid .100's to mid .200's.. and fairley consistantly over a huge temp range..But i have a 21 3/4 " 13.75 twist barrel now that just does not seem to like it all. But i can say. a shelin,a pac nor(3 groove), a brux. all shot that load real well..If you are shooting a 8 twist I dont know what to tell you, but if it's a 12 twist I would say back off the powder.. find something in the 30.5 to 31.5 range. H322 has shot real well, H4895 has shot well, N133 has shot well,N135,IMR8208xbr,,just to name a few. But dont push it like you would a varmint load. keep the powder down, filled to the top of the shoulder is good enough.That load has shot well enough that i have a hard time not taking it to a match, I know how bad my last agg was with my ppc.I been thinking all week of shooting my 6BR in the next one. ah but i just cant have to take the 6ppc..I know it will be a search in the morning to try and find what will shoot well with either rifle,and im getting real close to knowing what my 6ppc will want..plus i have shot a few small group with it and want to shoot some more of them..

how many gr. of H4895 did you use.
Ballcap

I am shooting 80 grn Bart’s BT’s out of a 1-12 Krieger with a .060 throat BR. 33.7 grn of H4895 gives 3380 FPS out of a 25 inch barrel with great accuracy.

Back