6br bullet, barrel, twist recommendations

B

BigDog

I am converting a Savage BR in 308 to a 6BR. Plan to use a Krieger 5R barrel. Would like the gun to be accurate out to 600 yds (but will likely see most use at 300-400). Apprerciate recommendations on bullet weight and related barrel twist/length.

Thanks,

Get an 8 twist barrel use 107 gr Matchkings, Berger's, JLK's or other bullets around that size. If you want to shoot lighter bullets, you can still do it out of an 8 twist barrel.

Any recommendations on barrel length?. I have seen 26-28", but in general think short/fat is less whippy and a 6BR does not have much powder.

With all due respect to Mike, if you are going to limit yourself to 600 yards, with most shooting being at 300-400 yards, I would suggest a slower twist, such as 10, and lighter bullets, such as BIBs 95 gr FB or any other good bullet in that weight +/-.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right after asking "Who are you insured with" the medicos ask "where does it hurt." I guess we should ask "what's this rifle to be used for, primarily?" before going too far.

BigDog,

More free advice, go as long as you can stand. 30" is not uncommon in mid-range prone matches with the BR. 8 twist will handle the 107, 108 class of bullets and even if you don't shoot all the time at 600 the heavier bullets will serve you well at 3-400 ( it gets windy there as well ) plus you can shoot the lighter bullets with an 8tw.

Jim

Charles

It's a Savage! For shooting prairie dogs, tin cans, rocks.

Sorry Big Dog. Only kidding. :) :)

And, my own personal experience = an 8T does not shoot a light bullet as well as it does a heavy one, unless you happen to get lucky. For 600 and under you're better served with a slower twist, lighter bullets, and learn to read the wind.

JMHO

Ray

Ray,

He's a Texan. He may be going to use it to club baby seals, or shoot moose.

Sorry Big Dog. Only kidding. ;-)

The reason for asking is if hunting anything larger than a coyote, the heavy bullet will help. Other wise, I'd go with Ray. I'd say 26 inches is fine for barrel length. Shorter moves the compromises toward the 200 yard side of things.

Al, I'd never want to rule out Randy's flat base bullets as an option. They shoot too good, even at 1,000 yards. He recommends not using a twist faster than 1:9 if you're going to ever use the heavier flat base bullets.

http://www.bibullets.com/products/

I have an email from R.G. where he placed second at a sanctioned group match shooting at 200 yards, with a 121-grain flat base bullet, driven by a Dasher. PPCs had to read it & weep.

My guess is that a 1:9 will stabilize the 105-grain region BTs unless, maybe, it gets too cold. And yes, I know it is bullet length, not weight, that really matters

Far as that goes, Leonard Baity set a IBS 6 (or maybe 10) match aggregate record at the old Hawks Ridge club (in its heyday, with many of the best shooters in the East), using the 95-grain Berger.

But to BigDog, look: it's a compromise rifle. Where do you want the compromises? If we're going to make your compromises for you, where do we stop? Help picking a wife? -- almost as important as a rifle.

What's the rifle going to be used for? What are you most willing to give up? Most want to work well?

I'm of a contrary opinion and nothing that's been said so far has convinced me otherwise. If you want the best combination for shooting between 300 and 600 yards, then why pick a 1000 yard combination (8T & 105gr bullets)? I am fortunate enough to be able to make my own barrels so I have done a lot of experimenting with 6mm combinations. I've found that each has a window where it is best. Some windows are bigger than others. But, bottom line is, anything outside the window is a compromise, at best. Will an 8T 105gr shoot at 300-600 yards? Sure it will, but not as well as a 10T 95 gr. So, why not go with the best for the yardage you intend to shoot and let the compromises fall on either end rather than compromise your intended purpose?

JMHO

Ray

Why not go with the yardage that is going to be shot the most? Still waiting to hear the primary use of this rifle.

Jim

Thanks for all the input. Primary (only) use is non-comp paper shooting. I am a bow hunter first, and then a rifle hunter and then a paper shooter. So, more I think about it, I will likely favor the 600 yard range as most shooting under that will be done with my primary hunting rifle (also a krieger barrel). As I have limited opportunities to shoot and am forced to take what weather is there, I tend to see lots of windy days. Therefore, I lean towards the heavier/longer bullets for 600y and will go with a 1-8. That said, I do agree with Cheechako that if I was truly going to specialize at 300ish there are better bullets/twist combos.

Thanks again for the input.

BigDog
The smallest Lightgun group ever fired at 600 yards was done with a 6 Dasher 8 twist at around 0.5823 inches on the bench next to myself.I won't guess at its 300,400 yard accuracy but suspect it will hit the target okay at the shorter distances.
Lynn

Lynn

Making cartridge/bullet decisions based on world records is never a good idea. The smallest 5-shot group ever fired measures .009" and came from a 222 Remington. No one would say that the 222 R is the best combo for point-blank shooting. The highest 3-target score LG at 600 yards was a 149, shot before official world records were kept, and it was shot with a 6PPC with a 12 twist. Hardly what anyone (including me) would recommend for 600 yard shooting.

JMHO

Ray

Ray
The 600 yard game is completely dominated by 6 mm cartridges.The only thing we are discussing here is the twist rate and therefore the bullets used.
I remember You shooting the lighter bullets(around 80 grains?) at 600 yards during a national event and shooting two very small groups(around 1.4 inches?).On the other two days when You weren't in a wind free condition Your groups opened up keeping you from the win.
The original poster is located in Texas were it is known to get windy from time to time so why have him handicap himself when the heavier bullets can not only do the job but are dominating the sport completely.
The record group I mentioned was also shot by one of the most popular cartridges at any longrange match not a one off obsolete chambering by any means.
Lynn

Edit: The 149 score shot on the older larger targets would be common place today in my opinion.100_0158.jpg Here is a Heavygun target shot by my father in Ojai.

Last edited:
Back