6BR 8,5 twist barrel

H

HopeToBe

What is the heaviest bullet I can expect to make stable out to 600 yards with 8.5'' twist? I know the drill about recommended twist, but I am looking for the reality. Could I expect to stabilize the 105 gr Berger's ?

If going out to 1000 yards, would it change anything?

Not familiar with the 6BR cartridge, yet...

Last edited by a moderator:
The AMax and SMK designs will stabilize easier/sooner then will the VLD types (from my experience).
You will just have to try them to see if they will work out for you in your barrel.
What works for one guy in one barrel doesn't mean it will work the same in another.

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

I'd take Tooley's opinion to the bank.

Incidentally, it has been my experience that a VLD bullet that's stable at 300 or 600 will remain stable until it hits something. The reason for this is that the overturning moment generated by velocity (airflow) is decreasing rapidly with distance, while the stabilizing spin velocity decreases very little. In other words, a bullet will spin for a long time, minutes even, but it'll run out of velocity in seconds.

If you don't believe bullets spin for long check these out. http://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=youtube+spinning+bullets

al

I would question the Berger 105 Hybrid with its additional length, may not shoot as well as some of the other shorter jacket bullets. If anyone knows a Hybrid shooter sucessfully using a 8.5"t I`d like to hear of that. I have a 8.5" t blank needing a chamber!

Back