600 yard Nationals - Results

LarryS

Hot off the presses!

Thanks to all who came and helped and made it a successful event.

Larry Sparks

Attachments

• IBS 600yd National Scores.pdf
    437.1 KB · Views: 659
Some DQ;s were wind, but some were shooter firing record rounds on there sighter targets.

Great match, Thinks Larry, Dave, Greg and all of the others at Oak Ridge Club.

Mark Schronce

Congratulations to all the shooters that managed to get a piece of wood away from Sam Hall. Sam you really took us to school!!!! Great shooting!!! I've never been whipped at a shooting match by a nicer person. Thanks to everyone that ran the match especially the pit girls, they did an awesome job with the targets. See you all at the next match.

Brian Moore

I see Glen Sterling got 2nd in 2 gun group agg., congratulations Glen:), but I don't see his name listed in the LG Group agg. with the equipment list on page 9. Am I reading the results wrong or are there some names missing on the LG agg. sheet.

James

Congradulations Sam...

you are tough, and one heck of a nice guy.

Jeff

I had the honor, on Thursday and Friday, of pulling targets with Sam.
On Saturday, after the firing order rotated, I had the honor of pulling Sam's targets.
He is proof that nice guys do finish first, and he is amazing to watch on the target as he shoots.

600 Yd. Nationals

First of all I would like to say thanks to ORSA (Oak Ridge Sportsmen's Association) for hosting the IBS 600 yd. nationals.

Next, I want to thank all the folks who ran the match, (Larry Sparks, Dave Tooley, Steve Shelp, Mark Schronce, Joel Kendrick, Larry Isenhour, Greg Sigmon, Jeff Summers, the guys & gals in the pits). It was VERY well organized & ran flawlessly.

Congratulations to Sam Hall... Sam is a great guy & absolute tremendous shooter. Sam you have done your homework & you deserve this championship. I am proud to have been there with you & share the experience. It was a great time! To all the other shooters that placed - congratulations on some fine shooting. Can't wait until the next one - hope to see you all soon...

Mike Davis

I got to witness some good shooting by some very good shooters in some not so great conditions. These five were the most consistant during the three days. Al Forbes, Rodney Wagner, Rick Murphy, Glen Sterling, and Samuel Hall. Not only are these men good shooters, they are also great guys. I enjoyed meeting Glen and Al and Rick and talking to them. I have been around Sam and Rodney so much they are almost like family.....Anyway these five are the "top guns" this year, and they deserve the title.

Larry Sparks, and Dave Tooley and Greg Siegmumd put on a great match. Things went very smooth. Thanks for all your work, and to everyone who had a part in it.

Larry Isenhour

Attachments

• BR 007.jpg
    BR 007.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 328
I can't explain why Glen Sterling's name does not show up on the LG Group equipment list. I went back and looked at the original file and it is not there - I thought I had copied it wrong. It is on the LG score and LG aggregate lists. I didn't copy everything from the match file as it would have been a rather large file to post. Freaky, I guess he wanted to keep it secret?!?

The sighter and record targets are both on the target frame and this allows an almost instantaneous move to record target when the sighting period is over. This is important at Oak Ridge as the wind can change quickly as attested to by a lot of the DQ's. The sighter is clearly marked but in the heat of battle people forget to shoot the correct target. I've attached a picture of the target frame that we had behind the firing line to show up close to the competitors what to look for. Note the "sighting target" and red arrow above and the big "S" below the sighter. The record target had the bench number above it.

Again, thanks to all the competitors and helpers as they made it a great match.

Larry

Attachments

• P6250024.jpg
    P6250024.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 322
The sighter and record targets are both on the target frame and this allows an almost instantaneous move to record target when the sighting period is over.

I like this. I remember a 1K Nationals where there was a 45-second delay between sighter & record because the pit crew was slow (or to be fair, maybe had a problem?) Needless to say, some people got caught in the changed conditions. You can get off 5 shots in less than half of 45 seconds. . .

I want to thank ORSA for hosting the match. Most of all I want to thank all the guys I shoot with there for stepping up and supporting the match. You know who you are and your pretty special people to me. Shooters taking care of their own, it doesn't get any better than that.

Dave

Larry Sparks

I would guess that you are not the Bluegrass singer with the same name. He is one of my favorites. James Mock

600' Nationals

I would like to thank all that donated items to be awarded at this event: Berger Bullets, Shilen Barrels,TM Solutions, Shade Tree Enginerring,
Brux Barrels, Harrell's Precision I hope that I did not miss anyone.

Thank you for your support with the donation of these products.

Thanks to ORSA and Larry and crew for putting on a safe and enjoyable Nationals event.

Congradulations to all the winners. Sam Hall worked very hard to achieve his victory with top shooters in attandance.

See all of you next year.

Jeol Kendrick

Congradulations to Sam and all the winners. Thanks to larry and the crew for hosting nationals this year. Hope to see piedmont put on the nationals next year. It was a good time for fellowship with everyone. I came away with learning some new things that i have to correct. It's always been a learning experience for me when I'm shooting around the Piedmont crew. They are some of the best shooters in the 600yd game and an honor to call them my friends. I would like to see Piedmont put on a Benchrest school in the future. You can never stop learning from the best.

Brian Fox

Sam great shooting! We had most of the IBS 600 record holder there, and most of the best 600 IBS shooters in this half of country. You did very well to top this bunch of shooters. You showed us how it is done.

It was good to meet all people, that we see in match reports.

Mark Schronce

770 miles later

I'm glad I made the last minute decision to come to the shoot.

It's pretty cool to spread your wings a bit and take on the challenges of a new range.

Better yet is to meet old friends, make new ones, and put faces on the names you read about.

Also, the matches could not have run any smoother. Thanks to all.

Al Forbes

Following up some more:

No I not that "Larry Sparks" although a friend who is a big bluegrass fan used to tell people "Larry Sparks" was coming to his bluegrass parties.

If you guys think the wind was a problem during the match, then you won't believe this. I went out Monday morning to let the rental folks in to pick up the big tent and it was smashed and mangled beyond belief. A storm Saturday night or Sunday morning collapsed and mangled the tent. Thank God that no one was under it when it happened. I'm now very glad I paid the extra bucks for the weather insurance.

In case anyone is wondering, I just finished the accounting for the club. We made a whopping $144 on the event. I was worried that we would make too much if 80 shooters showed and how to return the extra cash to the competitors. But with only 36 shooters, that is not a problem anymore.

Once again, thanks to all the helpers and competitors who made this an enjoyable match.

Larry

Back