6 PPC from 220 Russian Lapua

nksmfamjp

So, you guys have talked me into 6PPC....looks like I need to learn to make 6PPC from 220 Russian.

This looks like Expand on mandrel, then FL size to get full neck length, then Expand on mandrel, neck turn, load and shoot. Should I anneal after neck turning? Is there a better way?

How do you do it?

Is the Norma brass any good?

So, you guys have talked me into 6PPC....looks like I need to learn to make 6PPC from 220 Russian.

This looks like Expand on mandrel, then FL size to get full neck length, then Expand on mandrel, neck turn, load and shoot. Should I anneal after neck turning? Is there a better way?

How do you do it?

It’s really that simple.

I expand, then neck turn, fireform.

I purposely make my chambers to where the necked up 220 Russian actually needs to be bumped back a tad to chamber.

When you fireform, smear a thin coat of sizing wax on the cases, that will help them take the form of the chamber enter.

If your rifle is chambered deep, the trick is to seat a bullet to where it jams the lands do the case head sits firmly against the bolt face.

Neck diameter on your reamer??

How do you do it?

Do you know what the neck diameter is on the reamer that your gunsmith is using? Based on its dimension, you may only need a skim turn on the necks.

Regarding the Norma brass, I've used an awful lot of it and know quite a few that do use it and have no complaints with it.

Have you been able to find any new brass?? WD

Do you know what the neck diameter is on the reamer that your gunsmith is using? Based on its dimension, you may only need a skim turn on the necks.

Regarding the Norma brass, I've used an awful lot of it and know quite a few that do use it and have no complaints with it.

Have you been able to find any new brass?? WD

Found brass at EABCO, Powder Valley and Shooters Corner. 0.269” neck.

I do mine a little different. I have a fire forming barrel. I load my 220 Russian with a heavy dose of Bullseye and seal the neck with wax and Fireform. I do coat my brass with a light coat of grease. After fire forming my brass grows in length and I have to expand very little before turning the necks.

I do mine a little different. I have a fire forming barrel. I load my 220 Russian with a heavy dose of Bullseye and seal the neck with wax and Fireform. I do coat my brass with a light coat of grease. After fire forming my brass grows in length and I have to expand very little before turning the necks.

And makes the straightest brass.

Just a thought

In addition to the above good information.
You might want to go to www.accurateshooter.com or 6mmBR.com Same place and look for the left side of the screen home page.
There you will find a listing of cartridges. Go down to the 6ppc and you will find a plethora of information as well as the 3 accepted types of preparing the brass from the .220 R
Choose one or more and let the fun begin.
Centerfire

Sorry to butt in here guys, I know I said I'd stay away because I make the sandbox uncomfortable, but I feel there's a safety issue needs be discussed.

And this nksmfamjp dude is a new guy....

TO ALL READING THIS TO LEARN, I feel it must be said that while the various neck-plugging systems discussed here are absolutely and completely SAFE and applicable for the aforementioned 220R-to-6PPC conversion, they ARE NOT safe for many modern cartridge configurations.

Having blown out thousands of rounds in dozens of configurations up to and including necked down 50BMG variants I feel it must be pointed out that there is a sliding scale involved, and that just "filling up a case and capping it with something light" can get you dead.

Generally speaking, when using a 'fast' powder, ie pistol or shotgun powder for blowing out the PPC round, it's REQUIRED you plug with wax/clay/etc to add mass to the ejecta for this method to be effective....... But with rounds having larger case-to-necksize ratio this is dangerous.

For instance;

.243 to .243AI I would start with 40% capacity and a pea-sized tissue wad.

Ken Howell's book gives a fair rundown of the method and there's a lot of info in the archives here on BRC, but I feel it's important to realize that the mentioned common case, .243Win, filled to top with Bullseye and capped with clay is an accident waiting to happen.

Not exactly relevant I know, you'se adults were/are talking only about "6PPC".....

But the children are watching....

Thanks alinwa. I’m confused and I have a fair amount of reloading experience. What I get from this is a lot of methods are being used, but I cannot understand what is safe other than you all walked away from that gun on that day. This is all good in an hv action and barrel, but I fear what happens to the guy trying with a 300 Norma Imp.

I guess I’m just going to expand, body size, check chamber fit, neck turn and fl size to get neck tension back. Then build a ladder from manual min to max to determine at what charge gives me best shoulder form.....0.2 or 0.3 gr increments....then load the rest.

Thanks alinwa. I’m confused and I have a fair amount of reloading experience. What I get from this is a lot of methods are being used, but I cannot understand what is safe other than you all walked away from that gun on that day. This is all good in an hv action and barrel, but I fear what happens to the guy trying with a 300 Norma Imp.

I guess I’m just going to expand, body size, check chamber fit, neck turn and fl size to get neck tension back. Then build a ladder from manual min to max to determine at what charge gives me best shoulder form.....0.2 or 0.3 gr increments....then load the rest.

They are all safe,

in the PPC.

Basically ANY method you use for the 6PPC other than putting a bullet on pistol powder.........ANY reasonable load or method as touted by anyone, anywhere is SAFE.

The PPC is inherently SAFE although I do know one guy who died from a bullet over pistol powder

I just felt the need to note that the listed methods DO NOT APPLY to something like the 300 Norma Improved. (As you said)

And don't even get me started on greazing the cases..... although it's "safe" for the 6PPC

Back