6 mm Bore Diameter

J

John W...ski

Hi,
I am planning to order a new barrel for my bench rest rifle, the chamber is 6 mm AR, using a custom JGS no throat reamer and cutting the throat last. Anyway for my first build I used a 1:8 barrel thinking the use of heavier bullets with their better BC would be an advantage. While it accurate on a good day I believe there is more to be had so I am planning on switching to lighter bullets that are more commonly used in bench rest competition.

My question is what is the advantage, if any, of either the .236 or the .237 bore size?

Thanks,

John

I don't think there's an advantage either way but I'd choose the .236 if asked....but I've never been asked.

In the short range benchrest game, I believe that .237 is much more common. For the faster twists you could ask a couple of barrel makers what is more popular, or survey some gunsmiths whose names you will find on lists of equipment used by matches' top shooters (equipment lists).

Most Benchrest Shooters will probably say, "a great .236 will outshoot an average .237, and a great .237 will outshoot a average .236".

I have tried both, I use .237. Mainly because that's what Bruno stocks.

Most Benchrest Shooters will probably say, "a great .236 will outshoot an average .237, and a great .237 will outshoot a average .236".

I have tried both, I use .237. Mainly because that's what Bruno stocks.

The worst BARREL I ever had to work with was a .236...

The best 6BR barrel i ever owned for 600 yard benchrest was a .236 bore Brux barrel. Brux Barrels are my preferred barrel, and they make their 6mm mostly in .236 I really dont know why though?? Lee

Back