6 BR Reamer

R

R Magee

Looking at having a 6BR 600 yard rifle built. The 6BR I have now is a 14 twist that I shoot 68 grainers with. I want an 8 twist for 105's. My question is about the difference in the chambering. My current chamber is for brass that is .050" shorter than the Lapua brass. I guess it's an older reamer, possibly a 6BR Remington vs. 6BR Norma? Anyway, is it suitable for the longer bullets? Any disadvantage with the shorter neck? Should I have the smith chamber with a different reamer?

R Magee,

You will want the 6mmBR Norma reamer and use Lapua brass. The shorter reamer most likely is a Remington chamber and may not take the Lapua brass. The Lapua brass is the main factor in the 6BR accuracy. Go with a 0.272" neck or a 0.269" if you want tight neck.

Mark Schronce

Thanks

I use Lapua in my current chamber but just have to trim .050". I imagine there are some other slight differences to, so I'll go with the 6BR Norma. I thought maybe I could use the same brass, or at least fire form in the 14 twist to save some barrel life of the 8 twist. It's a .262" neck also, so I have two things going against me, better to get the Norma chambering like you said I think. Thanks.

R Magee,

The first 6BR I had built was the same as your's, Lapua short neck. I asked before it was built, if was for Lapua. The smith said it was but not not tell me it was a short neck untill I picked it up. It shot great. I had it opened to a standard 0.272 neck this year. I have 2 - 0.269 neck barrel left. they will be the last I will do. All the next will be 0.272.

You could have you 14tw open when you have the new barrel done.

Mark Schronce

Back