6.5x47 barrel length help needed

L

Lambsey

Seasons greetings from across the pond.

Looking at re barreling my sako 75 in 6.5x47, the rifle will be used for the occasional 600yd bench rest comp, but mainly deer/boar shooting.

does anybody run a short barrel on there 6.5x47????
22-25" max???

not many people got them over here and most running 28-30" barrels

Appy New Year

I think the reason for the longer tubes is target style barrels on bench, F class or any/any high power in weights ranging from 13.5 to 22 lbs which fit the rules for those competitions (lighter on the position shooting up to 15.5 or 16 lb bench guns to 22 lb f-class cruisers.) By example, I just built a high power prone rig with a 28" med palma contour scoped for any/any and for iron sights too. I just beginning full testing and load work but I like the cartridge so far and I have considered building a light weight deer rifle using it in a 700 Rem action with about a 22 - 24 inch barrel, but that will not be for long range - all shots would be under 200 yds with hunting style bullets. Also, Im hunting Sitka Black tail deer, a very small easy to kill sub-species, so velocity should not be an issue. Good luck with your idea, let us know how it turns out.

thank you

I think the reason for the longer tubes is target style barrels on bench, F class or any/any high power in weights ranging from 13.5 to 22 lbs which fit the rules for those competitions (lighter on the position shooting up to 15.5 or 16 lb bench guns to 22 lb f-class cruisers.) By example, I just built a high power prone rig with a 28" med palma contour scoped for any/any and for iron sights too. I just beginning full testing and load work but I like the cartridge so far and I have considered building a light weight deer rifle using it in a 700 Rem action with about a 22 - 24 inch barrel, but that will not be for long range - all shots would be under 200 yds with hunting style bullets. Also, Im hunting Sitka Black tail deer, a very small easy to kill sub-species, so velocity should not be an issue. Good luck with your idea, let us know how it turns out.

Looking at 24" barrel but not sure how much velocity drop will be and would like to do the odd 600yd bench rest comp??
deer shooting would be max 400yds
thank you for your help

Looking at 24" barrel but not sure how much velocity drop will be and would like to do the odd 600yd bench rest comp??
deer shooting would be max 400yds
thank you for your help

I have a 6.5x47 Lapua built on a Remington 700 short action with a 25" #5, 1-8 twist Kriger barrel. Also has a CG=Jackson two stage trigger and Pharr/Robertson’s RT/s stock. The rifle is used for High Power Rifle and hunting rifle silhouette. The loads I use are 107 and 142 Sierra's with Reloader 15. Both loads shoot in the mid 2700FPS range and will hold 1/2MOA out to 500 meters. I have shoot 1/4 MOA when conditions were at their best. I plan on hunting with it in January with no change other than soft point bullets. The loads I am using are tailored for silhouette and with the rifle at 8.5lbs I could push them much fast if needed but the loads used are what I need to knock the targets down with minimal recoil.
Good luck, Paul

65x47Lapua.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I shoot a 6.5x47 barrel is 25" with berger 130's and 4350 for 600yd IBS matches. It goes around 2800fps. It has bought home it's share awards. I can go faster with RL15 but not as accurate.
Larry

stsbuyer rifle

NIce looking shilouette rifle. Did you put it together, or have it smithed?

If smithed, who did you use.

Many thanks!

Dave

NIce looking shilouette rifle. Did you put it together, or have it smithed?

If smithed, who did you use.

Many thanks!

Dave

Dave, Rifle was smithed by Evelio McDonald in Houston near where I live. He has built several rifles for me and specializes in Smallbore and High Power Silhouette rifles. Contact me via email so that I can get you in touch with him if you like.

Good luck, Paul Freeman paul.freeman@sbcglboal.net

I shoot a 6.5x47 with 24" barrel plus tenon. Rifle shoots great at 600 yards with 130 bergers going 2870 fps. There is still room for a little more velocity if needed but acuracy is better at this number.

Norm

Lambsey,
I shoot a 6.5x47 tactical rifle with a 21 inch barrel. Accuracy is excellent (108 grain Lapua Scenar with RL15) out to 600 yd.
Cheers
Vince(UK)

Back