6.5 x 47 Lapua junk??

JerrySharrett

Senile Member
I just opened a new, blue, sealed box of 6.5 Lapua brass. The Berger manual gives the trim-to ength as 1.850". Some of this brass is as long as 1.890", some as short as 1.840". Junk or what??

Jerry - fireform a long one and a short one. After fireforming, trim the longest one to match the shortest one and see how they shoot. You can also do as skeetlee said and complain but you prolly wouldn't have opened the box if you didn't need some brass. If the two cases won't shoot well you can then complain and have a little more to say.

How much do the old "good" ones vary?

I'd never know because I've not checked a case for ANYTHING prior to fireforming for 30yrs...

Call Lapua

You definitely to contact Lapua. I have never in my life seen .050" variation in any brand of brass, no matter how cheap it is. This is totally unacceptable for the highest quality brass made. Just because the brass may be fine after it is trimmed to length, competition chambers run the neck very near the end of the neck portion of the reamer. If your chamber is 1.860" in length, then you can't even fire form before trimming. A 47mm case does have nominal length of 1.850". Your longest cases are in fact 6.5 x 48's.

Michael

Over the years I've used many, many one hundred boxes of Lapua, none varied over about 0.005" or so before fire forming.

The reason I posted is to see if this is "the new normal" from Lapua. (The new normal-where have I heard that before? US is going to hell "the new normal" we are told!!!).

No, seriously, brass being some 0.020"-0.040" over chamber length could pose a fatal result especially with a newbie. Truthfully, I didn't check them at first. As I was loading a batch to fire form, one of them really squashed the shoulder while seating a bullet. I thought what's going on and looked closer. About 20 out of this 100 box were way over OAL. A few were about 0.015" under.

This brass came from Lester. Several boxes of 6BR Lapua from Lesters was ok.

Jerry, what is the lot number? I have several unopened boxes that are about 3 years old. I'll open one up and take a look, but I don't expect to see anything like that. I sure hope that your experience is not the new normal. Lapua keeps adding cartridges to the line up. We have seen other companies have a drop in quality after expanding.

Jerry, what is the lot number? I have several unopened boxes that are about 3 years old. I'll open one up and take a look, but I don't expect to see anything like that. I sure hope that your experience is not the new normal. Lapua keeps adding cartridges to the line up. We have seen other companies have a drop in quality after expanding.

Scott, I've already got an email reply from Adam braverman. They are going to start checking.

This was a recent order lot# p00794202/2253315.

Although it is a different caliber than the one under discussion, I just opened an old "gold" box of Lapua 6BR brass. They all measured at 1.555, give or take only .001. It doesn't get any better than that! Will use them for 30BR.

Somehow the box I had got polluted with some off-spec pieces. The replacement box Lapua sent is spot-on for dimensions and quality.

A few years ago I ordered 1K of .223 Winchester brass from Black Hills. It came in 10 bags of 100 cases each., The first three bags I opened had 4 to 7 .222 cases in them. Discovered that when i fired one of the .222 and blew the primer out. I scrutinize cases a lot closer now.

Back