6.5 Creedmoor

There is no "parent" case. It's a new factory cartridge from Hornady. Google it.

Ray

marion

I haven't held one in my grubby hands as yet, but there has been a lot of talk about it on http://www.long-range.com/forums/, and other forums as well. You might search over there.

But, from what I understand, it is smaller than a .260 Remington but larger than the 6.5×47 Lapua. 1.920" case length, a 30° shoulder and minimal body taper. Case capacity is right around 53.0 grains of H20, according to Hornady. Large rifle primer and large flash hole.

So, it would appear to me that it duplicates several of the 6mm Wildcats used by long range shooters over the past 15 years. Only in 6.5mm.

Let me know if you find out more details or if you find anyone who has any.

I am pretty sure one could fashion a 6.5 Creedmoor case from 22-250 or 250 savage brass. I looked at the case specs and it seems pretty doable. That being said..@ $65/100 for brass and only 1 source for the brass, I am not sure why anyone would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor over a 6.5x47 Lapua. I don't know who manufactures the brass for the Creedmoor, but can it possibly be any better that the Lapua cases? Seems like a round that was invented with no apparent need for it. The specs are pretty darn close to a 240 NMC necked up to 6.5mm. Unless brass is available from other sources or at better prices...I can't see this round going anywhere.

Chris

Chris

You nailed it! All of those intermediate sized 6mm wildcats that I talked about were made from 244 Remington, 243 Winchester, Remington URBR, 250 Savage, and the 22-250. And now that we have the 6.5x47 LAPUA and the 6XC brass I see no reason for any of us to continue the chore of making brass out of those cases. I know that I certainly won't.

So the Creedmoor does indeed fill a need that doesn't exist.:rolleyes:

Ray

From the specs I have seen, it looks very much like a 30deg blown out 22/250 case. Dimensionally very close. You can easily form this using 22/250 brass.

The press release indicates that Hornady wants to give match performance to those who want to use factory ammo. They even indicate that they are using some common factory powders so handloaders can duplicate.

From the listed performance, not sure how they can do this as it is sig faster then common data. Time will tell if anyone gets one and shoots it.

Seems like follow the leader but it does show how potent a modified 22/250 case can be.

Myself, I am working on my better mousetrap. Ran a 243AI reamer into headspace on a 22/250 case. Essentially, you get a long 6mm Dasher or 40deg Creedmore or as I call it.

A 6mm Mystic.

Jerry

Ray
I agree but I believe the niche that Hornady is trying to fill with the Creedmore is for those that want to use factory ammo in competition. For most of us on this forum that idea is somewhat foreign but there is probably a market for it. It is so close to the 6.5x47 Lapua I see no other reason for it.

James

Hey Jerry, that's called the 240 Prancer.;) I made mine from the URBR brass. But it didn't shoot any better than the Dasher (or any of the others). But it was fun trying.

Ray

Mine will use the LR primer cause it gets cold where I live :D

Like you have seen, there is nothing magical about the case shape and performance will be be similar.

I do like the larger case volume of the 6 Mystic vs the 6 - X47L. This should allow me to run similar velocities at lower pressures.

Whether it shoots or not will lie in the pipe and what it likes.

Was my way of playing along without huge costs in reamers, dies and brass.

Jerry

6.5x47L-6.5 creedmoore-6.5 IHMSA

The 6.5 IHMSA will do anything and better than either the 6.5x47 or the 6.5 creedmoore,and it's 30 yrs. older. It just took Lapua and Hornaday that long to catch up. :D Elgin Gates was ahead of his time

Last edited:
6.5 Creedmore Good For "Bad Hands"...

The thing that caught my attention about the 6.5 Creedmore is the factory ammo. I have both carpal tunnel syndrome AND neuropathy in my hands which tends to make things difficult and tedious when completing tasks that require lots of "finger tip" manipulation. I currently have a new, unfired Mark King-built 6.5-284 PA Light Gun that has sit for the past two years just for these very reasons. I'm very hopeful that the 6.5 Creedmore does pan out, especially the factory ammo, as I may have to have Mark build me one of these if it does. Since the PA 1,000 Yard Club has started having the 600-yrd matches, the schedule for those matches works out much better for me all around since I have to commandeer my son to help drive on the 220-mile one-way trip.

Ernie B

Last edited by a moderator:
28 in. barrel

Hornaday's ballistics are from a 28 in. pipe,it's gonna be tough getting those Vels, out of a service rifle

Creedmoor niche

The Creedmoor is designed for (or probably by) an NRA highpower shooter who shoot across the course. It is a 6.5 with a shorter case body so it can be loaded with longer bullets and still fit in an AR type rifle. (AR10, not AR15). I personally like the idea. My biggest gripe with the 260 is that you can't load the longer heavier bullets and get a good magazine fit without pushing them into the case.

So, yes, there is a need for the design.

Think about it. How many times have you seen a cartridge win big at a few matches and all of a sudden, it seems everybody is chambering it and saying "this is the best cartidge ever". Then a year later, someone comes up with a slightly different version of an already existing design, wins a few matches and every body rebarrels for the new one saying "this is the best cartridge ever". The benchrest community is notorious for this.

yes innovation is what makes the sport interesting,BUT if you notice how the case capacities are early 20 late 19 century,The 6.5x47 lapua and the 6.5 creedmoore are amazingly close to the 6.5 IHMSA which is based on the 300 Savage.They just have BETTER brass.......and the 30 TC is just a IMPROVED 300 SAVAGE with a few minor changes

Last edited:
price

With a little work you could easily make either 6.5L,6-6.5L or the 6.5Creedmoore,6.5 IHMSA with a 308 base case or 250,300 Savage case.In the case of the 308 it's almost half the price of 6.5 L brass .53 vs 1.00 per peice. As far as FACTORY loaded Compitition ammo is concerned ,I can't believe that a manufacturer would believe that they could possibley make a round that would on any given day be consistant enough to win with such a huge variance of equipment.The 6.5 Creedmoore is a good basic round but leading the public to believe that it's a factory compitition round is unsound it's value lies in being a componant to a compitition round,as is the 6.5 Lapua case.... On a side note, I see both the Lapua/Creedmoore designs being heavily pushed for DOD uses as spec.ops,designated marksman rifles on the AR-10 platform

Last edited:
I am very interested in this caliber, but so far I've only found it in the T2000. Unfortunately I just can't justify the $4550 price tag (w/o optics). Is anyone else making long range match guns using the Creedmoor? If not, could my local gunsmith build one, using a Remington 700 short action and a Krieger heavy barrel, for instance?

Thanks,

Monte N.
Richmond, VA

Back