6.5 conspiericy

D

dog

:eek::mad::confused: OK What gives? I'm not looking for a obscure caliber, just a 6.5 swede or a .260 rem in a factory gun to compete in club shoots and egg shoots. Something with a bull or varmint barrel. Tikka offers one by not in the US. talking to people at Beretta is like talking to a wall. Remmy only offers a 40x (not exceptible for compitition).Savage has a 6.5x284, but I don't want a barrel burnner. How hard is it to get a rifle from Canada (legally).If this caliber is so negitve in the states why are companies inventining new ones (6.5 creedmore and 6.5x47 lapua). is there not alot of use of the 260 rem. at camp perry and other log distance shoots is not the 6.5x65 used in other countries for comp. Thanks

1000 yard factory rifle in 260 Rem?

Now about a DPMS LR-260?

There's no conspiracy. It's just that Remington and the like (including Tikka) are trying to make money by marketing cheap hammer forged barrels to deer hunters who are pefectly happy with two MOA groups. The market for precision factory 1000 yard rifles is pretty small and the profit margin is less. What's a new factory barrel worth? $50 maybe? you see them for sale on Gunbroker with few takers.

Why does your club not allow the 40X? What's their definition of a factory rifle? A model where you have to buy ten of them to expect to get one which shoots? Who wants that? I dont' care for the idea of not being able to change a barrel or trigger just so I can compete with someone who got lucky at the time he made his purchase.

the club is tring to keep the cost down and keep a true factory gun, not customs and simi customs,like cooper and kimbers. I have no plans of shooting 1k more like 500 and 600 yards, one shot no sighters egg shoots and no wind flags. if these companies consider the .308 as a varmint cal. why not the 6.5? Thanks

the rem 260 and the 6.5 swede both will have better down range power and trajectory than the .308 but these companies close there minds to reallity.Just pick up any national gun magazine in the last 2 years and checkout the articals on the 6.5 .

Sorry to hear

about a club that is still trying to come up with stupid rules.

Why don't they just state you need to shoot a junk Remington with a scope made in North Korea!

No wait better yet. Leave your great shooting rifles at home and spin the bottle for an award.

No wait even better yet, shoot what ever you want, but don't keep score, so no one will feel bad about being a looser!

The best shoots are where the rules state: "any rifle - any sights"

If two guys show up with M1's they would give a hoot what anyone else is shooting.

Everyone shows up. Everyone shoots. Everyone has a good time.

And I'll tell you something else, every once in a while the guy with the pump action .30-06 is going to win.

I'd go with a Savage,

6.5-284 caliber. They are usually good for 1500 rounds or so. That would be a good choice for a factory gun that may have the accuracy that you need for an egg shoot.
Replacement barrels are available and easy to swap w/o going to a gunsmith.
Everything is a compromise.

JOHN S. - very well put. dog - i can't tell what you ARE trying to do hit an egg at 500 yards?? at the varmint hunter match the savage 22-250 has done GREAT according to the result i have seen. the lrpv beat customs. if you search here i have complained remington does not make a6.5 sendero. remington made a 260 varmint briefly

You can have a Pac-Nor barrel chambered for any of the GREAT 6.5's and if you own a Savage rifle its a breeze to change out barrels. Thats about your only choice though...good shooting, Gary

Well there is the 264 Win Mag in the Sendero II.

I couldn't find any "special runs" on Remington for target rifles, but 260 is available in the 700, 7, and the 40-XB Rangemaster.

Surprised Remington did 308 Win, 7mm-08, and .243 Win but not .260 Rem in their R-25. But just a barrel change away.

Browning's Target A Bolt is offered in .223 Rem, 308 Win and 300 WSM.

Savage
F class - 6.5x284 Norma, 6mmBR, 308 Win @ 12.65lbs
F/TR - 308 Win @ 12.65lbs
Palma - 308 Win (155gr Palma bullet optimized I reckon) @ 11.5 lbs
Dual Port - 6.5 x 284 NORMA, 6 Norma BR, 308 Win @ 12.75lbs

Winchester - who knows???, FN is making their model 70 in the Win plant supposedly. FN actions available with/without various barrel lengths in 308 Win available at CDNN for 500$ or so.

Weatherby - Howa ???

T/C - Half-inch certified in 308 Win ($2500), Precision Hunter .22-250, 308 Win.

S&W - I-bolt in 270 Win and 30-06 with factory recalls.

Tikka - Super Varmint is avail. in 260 Rem.

CZ - 550 offered in 6.5x55. Their varmint model is 308 and .22-250. 750 Sniper is 308 Win.

Sako - 85 Varmint in .260 Rem. TRG 42 in 300 Win Mag and 338 Lapua, TRG 22 in 308 Win

DPMS - 260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor. Not sure if 6.5x47 is on the horizon.

Not exactly what your looking for but should do the job quite well.

Savage LRPV. Either 22-250 in 9 twist or the 6 BR in 8 twist. I'm not sure offhand if the LRPV 6 BR is available off the shelf with the 8 twist. I know they're target action is.
You would need to determine if these rifles are allowed in your specific factory class. Some clubs set dollar amounts to exclude these guns from factory.

Savage VLP in 243 Win with 9.25 twist. Nothing wrong with a 243 at 500-600 yds. Pick some bullets with good BC compatible with the twist rate and start loading.
No one can argue a Sav VLP is too fancy for factory class now can they.

Swapping tubes on a Sav is a piece of cake but it will knock you out of factory class unless you use another factory tube.

BC is nice but to hit an egg accuracy is essential. Just something to keep in mind no matter what your choice.

To answer the Canada question, real easy to get a rifle from Canada. You need to get an import permit and have the rifle mailed to an FFL. Export to USA from Canada requires no permits at all. Just don't plan on sending it back from the USA, it is a major job to export form the USA.

Remington Custom Shop has a 260 Rem in 40-XB. They are under the rimfire section of the Custom shop.

Back