6.5-284 chamber neck diammeter-need advice

rvander1

Hi, I'm new to 1000yd benchrest shooting (competed in one match at Williamsport last year with a gun loaned to me, and got hooked).
I have a 1000 yd gun (6.5-284 Nesika Bay action, Tooley stock, Night force 12-42 BR scope). I bought the gun assembled but never fired-- and it was not really put together properly (no piller bedding and a few other problems).
The problems with the gun are being fixed by Mark King who has built a number of winning guns at Williamsport (two hours south of where I live).
The gun came with a "standard chamber" Pac-Nor barrel (?maybe min SAMMI spec?). I'm getting the Pac-Nor re-chambered and I'm getting a second barrel (McMillan) chambered at the same time and I want them both to be the same. Mark likes thin necks- he feels it's easier to control neck tension with thinner necks, but my 100-200 BR friend says guys shooting 6ppc's are going with thicker necks now- even no-turn necks since the Lapua brass is so good. I thought I might be able to get away with no neck turning- but I don't know--
My question is: what chamber neck diameters are other people using in this caliber for 1000yds?
Thanks in advance for any help:)

Hi, I'm new to 1000yd benchrest shooting (competed in one match at Williamsport last year with a gun loaned to me, and got hooked).
I have a 1000 yd gun (6.5-284 Nesika Bay action, Tooley stock, Night force 12-42 BR scope). I bought the gun assembled but never fired-- and it was not really put together properly (no piller bedding and a few other problems).
The problems with the gun are being fixed by Mark King who has built a number of winning guns at Williamsport (two hours south of where I live).
The gun came with a "standard chamber" Pac-Nor barrel (?maybe min SAMMI spec?). I'm getting the Pac-Nor re-chambered and I'm getting a second barrel (McMillan) chambered at the same time and I want them both to be the same. Mark likes thin necks- he feels it's easier to control neck tension with thinner necks, but my 100-200 BR friend says guys shooting 6ppc's are going with thicker necks now- even no-turn necks since the Lapua brass is so good. I thought I might be able to get away with no neck turning- but I don't know--
My question is: what chamber neck diameters are other people using in this caliber for 1000yds?
Thanks in advance for any help:)

guys around here shoot around .290 to .292, I agree with Mark King on the neck tension control of thinner necks. Good luck, Ron Tilley

Neck tension

Not only does Mark build winning rifles but he is a Hall of Fame shooter. Go with a winner. Generally it's a good idea to listen to the gunsmith.

Neck Tension

Lenard B. bilt mine with the .290 neck. Shoots great.

I have not shot at 1000 yet but my last 2 outings @ 600 I shot 1.518" and a 1.481" with a 288" neck at the chamber.
I wouldn`t change a thing.

Rvander1

Do what Mark say you will enjoy yourself more for doing so! He knows what he is talking about.
Hope to see you at the range.
Joe Salt

Neck Tension

I feel if you load with the bullet into the lands for the most part you take the neck tension out of the equation. I shoot my 6 BR with a .271 neck. With the bullet into the lands it seems to work as good as my 6 PPC barrels that all have .262 necks. I use a 0.0085 neck wall with these. Making good brass for the tight neck barrels takes time!

With the 6 mm chambers having the neck diameter at 0.271 or close say .268 there is an advantage in that I do not see the dreaded donut problem.

I suggest you discuss this with Mark and then follow his recommendations. Best rule on these kinds of rifle is to pick the right gunsmith. Then follow his advise.

Octopus

If you were varmint hunting, I would answer differently, but as you are competing and want to win, given the time, effort and money you are spending already, it does not make sense to leave neck tension to chance. BTW, many short range guys believe that not turning necks may cause an occasional flyer.

It's not like you will have to prep thousands of cases. Takes a varaible out of the equation. Neck turning is a pain, but you only have to do it once. Once it's done, its done. Don't be scared, it's not that hard.

http://www.benchrest.com/nielson/

Also - you can pay Ron Hoehn or Lester Bruno to turn your brass for you. There really is not that much to it.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone--

THANKS, your collective advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
--Guess I'll go with the neck turning and whatever chamber neck diam Mark recommends-- makes all kinds of sense to me.
-- In the back of my mind-- I was dreading neck turning, because last winter I prepped 1000 .223, and an additional 1000 22-250 for a PD varmint hunt last May- and I had visions of adding neck turning to all the other suff!:(
But you're right- its only 1-200 cases- and I don't want to spend the bucks I am without a chance to be competitive. I already goofed in buying a used gun that Mark has to fix for an extra $900 bucks.
If I hadn't goofed initially, I could start competing the first of May at Williamsport-- but now ?June-- I don't even know if I can prep the brass before I get the new gun??:confused:

I don't even know if I can prep the brass before I get the new gun??:confused:

I would not without the gun in hand. You may find something you want to do different after you get to fire a few cases. Do as many as you need to take to a range and test, be certain you are doing what you think is best.

In my experience of working brass before the gun was done, that brass was scrap. It's not a big deal to do once the gun is there. Do 20 now and do the rest when you're happy that what you did to the 20 is what you want to do with the rest.

I would not without the gun in hand. You may find something you want to do different after you get to fire a few cases. Do as many as you need to take to a range and test, be certain you are doing what you think is best.

In my experience of working brass before the gun was done, that brass was scrap. It's not a big deal to do once the gun is there. Do 20 now and do the rest when you're happy that what you did to the 20 is what you want to do with the rest.

Thanks- I would have wasted another 1-200 bucks-

Shooter

Do what Mark say you will enjoy yourself more for doing so! He knows what he is talking about.
Hope to see you at the range.
Joe Salt

Practice what you preach there Mr.President Joe Salt.

Vette04

Hay Wayne

When you come up this year, We have a big wagon to get you around.

I'm to set in my ways now to practice what I preach !

Hay Wayne

When you come up this year, We have a big wagon to get you around.

I'm to set in my ways now to practice what I preach !

I want to see another golf cart with a 454 in it, maybe some monster mudders.44's would be good.:D:eek:

--what to do with 85 cases primed lapua??

4Mesh,
Because I'm getting my rifle rebarreled with a Krieger with a tighter neck--
what do you folks suggest I do with the 85 once fired (some twice) Lapua brass I have from the previous factory chambered barrel. Because I wasn't expecting to get my gun rechambered-- I was fireforming brass for the old barrel, and resizing brass (no neck turn) and PRIMING THE BRASS. I now have 85 once or twice fired lapua cases that are PRIMED (no powder or bullet)- but I can't even fire the primers so I can resize, neckturn, etc for the new chambering. In the past, when I've had primed cases but didn't want to use them- I could just chamber them, fire the primer, then proceed with reworking the brass-- but with no gun (at the gunsmith)-- is there any safe way I can fire these primers so I can reuse the brass? Only thing I can think of is to turn the necks so they'll fit my new chamber, but as you wisely pointed out, 4Mesh, I might want to change something (ie neck thickness).

--- What to do--??
Any advice appreciated,
Bob

How to remove primers without rifle?

De-prime em', and save em' for fire-forming.

That's exactly what I want to do- but how do I deprime them without a rifle- yes I have access to my reloading equipment.
Thanks for the help.
Bob

Back