6.2x284 case dimension

C

Chet

I take a fired case out of my rifle it measures .477 at the full diameter just by the shoulder, when I size the case it takes it down to .473, is .004 too much clearance, will I be working the brass too much, by keep taking it back to .473 if I unscrew the die to a point where the diameter is about where I want it, like .475, I am too far away for a shoulder bump, and the primer will not fully decap, I know I can adjust the primer pin to knock out the primer, but If I have to bump the shoulder, I am back to the .473 dimension, any solutions other than maybe calling Forest and have them grind out .002 up near the neck so when I do a full size I have be at .475 at the neck area.

Chet

PS Looking for some shooters who have some fired cases from a 6.5x284 and measure the diameter near the shoulder and see how they compare to mine. mine are .477

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a friend tell me he was talking to Sinclairs and they indicated the seatind die could be used for a bump die. Would be interested in any others experience doing this. It could be set to bump with a spacer under it for seating.

Von Gruff.

My fired cases are also .477 . Don't have a sized case handy now but can check it out tomorrow if you wish.
Larry

New Nosler brass 0,474" @ the shoulder/body juction, fired from a hunting chamber 0.477", 2X fired resized with a Forster FL sizer 0.476".

Edited to add, FL brass were sized just enought to set the shoulder 0.001"-0.002" back from fired depending on spring back.

Last edited:
OK OKAYYYY......

Fuh'GEDDABOUT the actual numbers!!! The reality is that you need to fit YOUR DIE to YOUR CHAMBER such that it resizes YOUR CASES just enough to go back in....

And it shore ain't about "ordering the right model# die" nor somehow trying to copy someone else's numbers. Reloading dies as produced by the major companies are mfgd to fall within a set of parameters, as are chambers. THEY CANNOT MATCH! Except by LUCK.... "SAAMI spec" is about keeping stuff within 4 thou of each other, not nearly close enough.

This all serves to illustrate why custom dies exist.

al

AL

that won't work, if I have to just take the case in the die enough to chamber, at this point the neck is barley sized by 1/16" so that concept with a full length die is out in my application

Chet

My die is a Redding full length die. Alinwa is correct though. Mine just happened to work with my chamber. On my PPC and some others I have a chambering reamer and a sizing die reamer so I can size my brass properly.
Butch

Die sizing to small

The other way is to buy the die, size the brass, send the brass to Dave Kiff and have a reamer made for it. About the same cost either way. Custom dies or custom reamer. RANDY

AL

that won't work, if I have to just take the case in the die enough to chamber, at this point the neck is barley sized by 1/16" so that concept with a full length die is out in my application

Chet

Chet,

Agreed, YOUR DIE WON'T WORK no matter how you use it. It's the wrong die. You need a fitted die. A NEW die, one that fits your rifle. This is why fitted dies EXIST.......

al

The other way is to buy the die, size the brass, send the brass to Dave Kiff and have a reamer made for it. About the same cost either way. Custom dies or custom reamer. RANDY

Rewinder,

That would be OK If I were to start over, but I just got this rifle chambered and the action trued, not going take it apart, I will solve this issue, might call Forster and see if they can grind out some material up in the are where it takes it down too small, it shoots excellent, I am very happy so far with only 40 rounds thru this new Brux, the 140 Bergers do a good job at 200yds

Chet

chet, my sized case is .4745 at shoulder. Redding FL type S bushing die. .
Good luck sorting out what you need to do.
Larry

Wouldn't it be easier to just send Dave about 5 of your fireformed (NOT re-sized) cases and let him build you a resize reamer. $150 for the reamer, $40 for the full size die blank from Dave and then get the guy who did your gun to do the drilling!

Back