.585 Nyati

Lee Martin

Polar opposite of a BR rifle, but I figure there are a few big bore fans on the forum. Here's a .585 Nyati I just finished on a CZ 550 Magnum Safari action. Thought some of you may enjoy seeing it:

750 grain Woodleigh:

800 grain Martin LFN:

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
Nice rifle Lee, I like the big bores. About 2400fps with the 750? I have a bit of 585HE brass, but I don't think I can handle it.

Butch - yep, 160 grains of IMR 4350 gets you to 2,400 and then some. Either my chronograph is off or I got some fast 4350. That 750 gr Woodleigh clocked 2,470 fps.....about 100 fps more than I expected.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee..

is that rifle stock going to stand the recoil impulse with just one recoil lug? Beautiful wood and work overall!! --Greg

It will Greg. I had Wenig professionally stock the barreled action (and they know un-braked recoil is 185 ft/lbs at peak). The main bolts are pillar bedded in steel too. You'll also notice the straight grain from the action forward. The high figure pattern is all in the buttstock.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Beautiful rifle...

It will Greg. I had Wenig professionally stock the barreled action (and they know un-braked recoil is 185 ft/lbs at peak). The main bolts are pillar bedded in steel too. You'll also notice the straight grain from the action forward. The high figure pattern is all in the buttstock.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee. Nice work, but I'm not sure I would want to bust a cap on it. What is the recoil in ft/lbs braked? Must be pretty efficient?

Greg - haven't shot it without the brake, but I have to think it's working well. The top loads are an enormous shove, not the violent snap you'd expect. Now don't get me wrong, it pounds your shoulder hard at 2,200 - 2,400. Below that, it's pretty manageable. I even developed a load with the 800 that kicks like an '06. 55.0 grs of AA 5744 for 1,350 fps....sounds mild, but generates 3,200 fpe. And that blunt linotype LFN should penetrate to no end.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
Lee

The largest I have is an old browning safari 338 win mag. I don't know why I would want to endure more, but I'd love to have a 505 Gibbs. Other than punching paper and plowing up the back 40 I'm not sure what I would do with it! ;)

Lee, that is a very interesting Rifle. Really nice work.

Did you scavenge the action from a rifle, or buy it outright. With all of the talk lately of "which control feed action is best", that CZ looks pretty darned nice.

Does it have a Metric Barrel Tenon?

The the most brutal civilian thing I have ever fired was a 460 Weatherby without a brake. I helped a shooter sight it in with Factory Weatherby Ammo. I can't say it was a pleasurable experience. I didn't dare shoot it off of the bench. We used a set of cross sticks. I can't amagine what firing your rifle would be like.

Last edited:
Thanks Jackie. I bought the standalone action new from CZ a few years ago. It was set-up for .416 Rigby, so I opened the bolt and altered the feed rails. And you're correct, the threads are metric (2mm). Fortunately, I had metric back gears already installed on our Nordic 15".

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee, that is a very interesting Rifle. Really nice work.

Did you scavenge the action from a rifle, or buy it outright. With all of the talk lately of "which control feed action is best", that CZ looks pretty darned nice.

Does it have a Metric Barrel Tenon?

The the most brutal civilian thing I have ever fired was a 460 Weatherby without a brake. I helped a shooter sight it in with Factory Weatherby Ammo. I can't say it was a pleasurable experience. I didn't dare shoot it off of the bench. We used a set of cross sticks. I can't amagine what firing your rifle would be like.
I had a FFL for quite a while & a friend had me order (over a few years) a complete set of Weatherby's, all calibers. My fee was a loaded factory cartridge for each caliber & one shot with each caliber. Jackie, I agree, I wouldn't shot the 460 from a bench. :)

Use the biggest 'sissy bag' you can lay your hands on from a bench.

Even standing is liable to put you promptly on your butt.

I fired an antique 8 bore ONCE.

I was not dumb enough to try again.

If the Elephant does not step on you and kill you the rifle might.

Polar opposite of a BR rifle, but I figure there are a few big bore fans on the forum. Here's a .585 Nyati I just finished on a CZ 550 Magnum Safari action. Thought some of you may enjoy seeing it:

750 grain Woodleigh:

800 grain Martin LFN:

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Beautiful rifle! I would not want to be on the receiving OR the administrating end of that!

Clearly the tree the rifle rests upon was felled with one round.......:cool:

Back