54 match vs. 54 super match

D

decr8er

Hi All,
Here's a question that has been plaguing me. I just don't understand the difference between the 54 Match and the 54 Super match barrel stamps. So here is my question..are the Super Match barrels a separately manufactured lot of barrels, or are they the select of the Match lot?
I'm referring to the pre-1980 production line. Any info would be really helpful. Thanks, tim

54sm

It has nothing to do with the barrels, but does have all to do with the stock. Super Match was the complete International free rifle 1413, 1613, etc.
Others models were match 54, 1411 and 1407, even though they used the same barreled action between 1411 and 1413.

bjm

Hi Brian,
That's just what I thought until I came across a barrel which was marked "54 SUPER MATCH". Hence my question. I have an early ('62) barrel which is marked 54 Match, but my friend is looking at one which is clearly marked "54 SUPER MATCH"...date unknown as of now. Go figure.
tim

I think it has to do with the bolts and triggers. The super match 54 having the faster lock time, and the better 5018 trigger. But I'm not sure.

Anschutz031.jpg

Anschutz028.jpg

Anschutz032.jpg

Last edited:
Hi BigRed,
Thank you for that photo. That is the most informative post I think I have ever seen. I can see the differences between the bolts in the photos. Looks like the Super-match bolt has more of a sweep to the bolt handle as well as a more conical shape to the end of the bolt itself.
I also note that this is a more recent photo of the 1811 series. Is the same true for the earlier 1411 models, or is this a more recent upgrade?
Thanks again, tim

The two target guns in that picture are a 1913 and a 1907 from 1991.
Also read this. This is why IMOP. it has to with actions and triggers more then the what stock came on the gun.

Scott

122.jpg

123.jpg

Hi,
I think that you are correct, as per this photo from the 70's. I see a few differences between the two bolts. Firstly the "super-Match" bolt handle appears to be at more of an angle. The rear of the bolt is also more a pronounced truncated conical shape when compared to the simple "Match" bolt.
These photos are from the seventies. The gun in the photo is the 1811 (if you look just above the photo). I am wondering if this was the case in the 60's as well. Could very well be. My problem is that I don't have two rifles to compare side by side.
I was trying to find an answer to this question for my engineer friend who was in a hurry. Now I'm just curious.
Thanks again for the great info. t.

This just MOP. But this info is from a 1991 Anschutz brochure. The guns in the picture are 1913 and 1907. The 1813 was replaced by the 1913 in on about 1986 or 1987 think. I have a 1988 brochure has the same pictures in it. IN 1988 they were call 1913, 1907 also.

159.jpg

456.jpg

Supermatch

Hi all
The supermatch rifle was mostly used as a 3 positional rifle,and was much heavier than the match 54.The other thing to watch for is that the action is only milled to accept the sights on the rear of the action,and there is no facilities to fit a scope ring on the front of the action,[on the ones that I have seen]At this time my gunsmith is rebarreling a supermatch with a lilja barrel to 21ins,He has already rebarreled my match 54 to 21 ins and so far i am getting good results.
Regards John F.

Hi all
The supermatch rifle was mostly used as a 3 positional rifle,and was much heavier than the match 54.The other thing to watch for is that the action is only milled to accept the sights on the rear of the action,and there is no facilities to fit a scope ring on the front of the action,[on the ones that I have seen]At this time my gunsmith is rebarreling a supermatch with a lilja barrel to 21ins,He has already rebarreled my match 54 to 21 ins and so far i am getting good results.
Regards John F.

The rifles that use the 54 action milled to accept sights on the rear of the receiver only are the older actions.

This topic is also on RFC and IMO the question has been answered over and over.
Now you people chiming in with opinions and not necessarily facts.

Hi BigRed,
Thank you for that photo. That is the most informative post I think I have ever seen. I can see the differences between the bolts in the photos. Looks like the Super-match bolt has more of a sweep to the bolt handle as well as a more conical shape to the end of the bolt itself.
I also note that this is a more recent photo of the 1811 series. Is the same true for the earlier 1411 models, or is this a more recent upgrade?
Thanks again, tim

The Match 54 action with the wing safety is from the 1700 series of rifles. Otherwise known as sporters.
They should not be compared to the Match grade rifles that use the Match 54action without the wing safety.
They are two different animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anschutz Rifles

Hi
I was'nt voicing an opinion,and it seems I do have the older model supermatch,and IMO the 54 action with the winged safety was used on many models of the Anchutz rifle,Including the Biathlon mod which I own and shoot.
Not just Sporters.
John F.

The 54 Match Action with the wing safety in the beginning was used on both sporters and the target guns. Up untill about 1974 when the safety was moved to the trigger. Now the wing safety bolt is used only on the sporters.1700's

Hi
I was'nt voicing an opinion,and it seems I do have the older model supermatch,and IMO the 54 action with the winged safety was used on many models of the Anchutz rifle,Including the Biathlon mod which I own and shoot.
Not just Sporters.
John F.

Yes it was, as I have a few Match and SuperMatch with the wing safety also.
However, they are singleshots with dual extractors and differ from today's Match 54 sporter bolts. They do not interchange.

Anschutz 54 super match

What barrel would fit an early Anschutz 54 Super Match? Are all 54 barrels interchangeable?

It will take some gunsmithing to get it to fit and set the headspace on the the barrel because Anschutz barrels are pressed and pinned.

It will take some gunsmithing to get it to fit and set the headspace on the the barrel because Anschutz barrels are pressed and pinned.

They're doable if you want to press them and they don't need to be pinned.

Last edited:
Back